Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/19/2003 5:35:36 PM EDT
Heard a story on NPR today - about a man in Latvia who was brought to the hosptial by the police, with a blood-alcohol level of 7.2

Apparently, most people lose consciousness at 3.0 and DIE when the level exceeds about 4.0

That's some serious drinkin'
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:39:07 PM EDT
Actually, that would be .72. That's a hardcore drunk.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:39:35 PM EDT
Man, when you start drinking that much, it's just a matter of time before you take a dirt nap. Every hard drinker you come across appears to age at 1.5 times the rate that everyone else does.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:39:43 PM EDT
You mean 7.2% of the fluid in his veins was pure alcohol? That cannot be.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:40:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/19/2003 5:42:18 PM EDT by raven]
Originally Posted By DoubleFeed: Actually, that would be .72. That's a hardcore drunk.
View Quote
Now that, while appalling, sounds like a possible BAC level. God, once this eskimo bum got on a bus I was riding on. I was at the back, he was at the front, but I could STILL smell his vodka fumes. And it was 9am!
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:41:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/19/2003 5:43:30 PM EDT by DK-Prof]
I think the 7.2 is a parts per million figure (grams of alcohol per liter of blood). In the story they said that "officials" (maybe from the hospital) were investigating whether it was a world record.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:43:41 PM EDT
.72 means .72% of the content of the bloostream is composed of pure alcohol. Usually you get nailed for drunk driving for having a BAC of .08 (in my state) to .12
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:47:06 PM EDT
Just remember this: An Irishman is not drunk just so long as he can hold on to a single blade of grass to keep him from slipping off the face of the earth.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:52:16 PM EDT
0.72 Ya gotta work up to that, and work real real hard. The most I have heard of locally was 0.52. Raging alcoholic. If you aren't pickled already, you die trying.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:55:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By raven: .72 means .72% of the content of the bloostream is composed of pure alcohol. Usually you get nailed for drunk driving for having a BAC of .08 (in my state) to .12
View Quote
I just looked it up, and you are apparently correct. I had been operating under the notion that a BAC wasn't a percentage, but a pure decimal. In other words, I thought that a BAC of .72 meant that nearly 3/4 of the fluid in the bloodstream was alcohol. A more descriptive term of the effects of alcohol on the body is Prof's PPM. Is that a European concept, Prof? Only 7.2 particles of alcohol per million particles of blood is needed to get you into the record books as the drunkest man ever. That's not a lot.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:00:05 PM EDT
only .72? what a pussy................ when i read "drunkest man ever" i though you were gonna say janet reno was getting married................
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:03:23 PM EDT
Oh, I thought this thread was about DonR
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:05:02 PM EDT
Is there a test I can do @ home to measure my BAC? or is that something that requires a very expensive machine?
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:13:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Juell: Is there a test I can do @ home to measure my BAC? or is that something that requires a very expensive machine?
View Quote
Do you have any cop friends or family? They can use a PBT (portable breath test) on you, which are pretty accurate.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:17:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/19/2003 6:21:13 PM EDT by COZ]
I have a hard time believing that one. Thats definately way more than enough to kill you. That's what I learned as an MP. If it was possible to get a BAC and it registered higher than .40 than it was time to get them to the hospital so they didn't die on you. If they are so drunk they can't blow then you take them to the hospital anyway. COZ
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:18:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DoubleFeed: Actually, that would be .72. That's a hardcore drunk.
View Quote
Mabye they were using the metric system.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:22:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/19/2003 6:24:28 PM EDT by COZ]
Originally Posted By Wipeout:
View Quote
Mabye they were using the metric system.
View Quote
I bet your right on the money! But doesn't the medical community (USA) use the metric system anyway?
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:24:03 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Juell: Is there a test I can do @ home to measure my BAC? or is that something that requires a very expensive machine?
View Quote
I'm pretty sure there are some type of litmus strips that you place on your tongue that will indicate BAC. Hoppy
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:26:30 PM EDT
Aparently nobody remembers Me and Doublefeed and TexRdnec at Gunstock!
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:35:00 PM EDT
Aparently nobody remembers Me and Doublefeed and TexRdnec at Gunstock!
View Quote
no shit...............and i was being responsible so as to take care of the moron brothers too....................
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:11:33 PM EDT
View Quote
Stand at the end of a hallway. Place your right (strong hand) pinky finger on your nose. Put all of your change in the left pocket. Hold a full shotglass in your left hand. Lay your head back so your nose points up 90 deg. If you can walk to the end of a 8' hallway, you can drink the shot.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:24:37 PM EDT
View Quote
You can get breahtalyzers from various vendors on the net. Depending on the vendor and model they can be accurate. I have one that was relatively expensive and it has been accurate so far, i've had it about a year. The highest i've ever blown was a .26. I find that around .21 or .22 events of the evening become hazy.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:42:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DoubleFeed:
Originally Posted By raven: .72 means .72% of the content of the bloostream is composed of pure alcohol. Usually you get nailed for drunk driving for having a BAC of .08 (in my state) to .12
View Quote
I just looked it up, and you are apparently correct. I had been operating under the notion that a BAC wasn't a percentage, but a pure decimal. In other words, I thought that a BAC of .72 meant that nearly 3/4 of the fluid in the bloodstream was alcohol. A more descriptive term of the effects of alcohol on the body is Prof's PPM. Is that a European concept, Prof? Only 7.2 particles of alcohol per million particles of blood is needed to get you into the record books as the drunkest man ever. That's not a lot.
View Quote
Not sure if the U.S. "BAC" measure is pretty much equivalent to the ppm (or grams per liter) measure, and if that's purely a european thing. I just remember that they referred to it as parts per million in the NPR story. My memories of "driving drunk" in Denmark consist of sleeping on the floor of the 2 AM bus from copenhagen back to the barracks [:D]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:57:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Originally Posted By DoubleFeed:
View Quote
View Quote
Not sure if the U.S. "BAC" measure is pretty much equivalent to the ppm (or grams per liter) measure, and if that's purely a european thing. I just remember that they referred to it as parts per million in the NPR story. My memories of "driving drunk" in Denmark consist of sleeping on the floor of the 2 AM bus from copenhagen back to the barracks [:D]
View Quote
Holy Shit! Who the hell was DRIVING the bus!!! Man, you Europeans................ So wacky.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:05:31 PM EDT
Originally quoted from Wipeout Mabye they were using the metric system.
View Quote
[JulesFromPulpFiction]Check out the big brain on Brett! You'a smart motherfucker, that's right. The metric system.[/JulesFromPulpFiction]
Top Top