Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/19/2003 2:29:30 PM EDT
Many moons ago (ok - a little over 9 weeks) I go to my local gun shop where I've spent thousands of dollars over the past 15 years and decide that I want a Rock River rifle. I do my research, select the model I wanted (entry tactical) and have them order it, after being assured it will only take a few weeks (3-5) to come in. (This was before I found ar15.com)

I paid in full because I had the money and didn't want to be tempted to spend it on something else in the meantime.

Since then, I've called or walked in asking about the status of my order, and each time they said they would check on it, but to give it at least 4-6 weeks. After six weeks, they said it must be because of the Christmas rush and orders were slow.

Last week, I asked that they call Rock River and find out where my gun is, then call me back. Didn't happen.

Yesterday, I go in to the store to see what the problem is. I told them I wasn't happy waiting 9 weeks, and if they couldn't produce the gun, I wanted my money back. I was assured they would call Rock River the next day and let me know.

Today, I get a call from them. It turns out they "forgot" to even place the order with RRA at all. I was, and still am, really ticked off. I'm going back there today to have the charge reversed on my credit card.

Just another reason for me to get those FFL forms filled out. You'd think that the first time I inquired, they would have looked into it and quickly placed the order, hoping that they could blame RRA for the delay.

I bought my first gun from these guys, and my last. What bothers me the most is that this was going to be my first AR15, and now I've got to wait some more to get it elsewhere.

I know a lot of guys advertise here on the board, so I'm asking for recommendations for dealers who will have these in stock with factory warranties.

End of rant.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:47:50 PM EDT
:(
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:59:18 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:16:02 PM EDT
See if they cut you a break. Don't ask, just see if they will do it. Who knows? They might surprise you. Were I the store manager, I certainly would.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:21:25 PM EDT
Yeah, if you've been happy with their business for several years I sure wouldn't slam the door on them after one little mix-up. Damn Dude, have a beer, chill... [beer]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:27:28 PM EDT
I'd be pissed, you waited 9 weeks for nothing, and everytime you asked about it, they just blew you off and never checked at all. Great freaking service, ask them what they are willing to do to make it up to you.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:31:42 PM EDT
Just curious. I know most of the gunstores in Utah. Which one was this?
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:55:47 PM EDT
They didn't even offer to make it up to you right there? They really don't want your business do they? I'd want my money back too. Fuck'em.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:57:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:20:06 PM EDT
I got to a few local palces here, mostly small stuff, I order nearly everything only 2 good places one doesnt stock much. Other is a pawn shop they know me well and do all my transfers, good people, being a pawn shop they dont usualy have what I'm looking for but will order it if they can or if it needs FFL do the transfer at a fair rate.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 10:29:55 PM EDT
Me: You FORGOT to place my order? Well, what are YOU going to do about it and "We will place the order right now" is not good enough anymore. At that point a RUSH order will be good enough for me (RED label Next day) or start thinking of a way for me NOT to bad mouth you. This is a mistake that CAN happen but the standard answer of "Not in yet" without checking the order is BS.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:19:44 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DrFrige: Me: You FORGOT to place my order? Well, what are YOU going to do about it and "We will place the order right now" is not good enough anymore. At that point a RUSH order will be good enough for me (RED label Next day) or start thinking of a way for me NOT to bad mouth you. This is a mistake that CAN happen but the standard answer of "Not in yet" without checking the order is BS.
View Quote
I agree. This shit happens way too much these days. "I forgot" is what 5 year olds say. It's a bullshit answer. My favorite "I forgot" line is "backorderded". Same thing. AB
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 9:37:09 AM EDT
You can call up Rock River Arms yourself and pay Rock River for the firearm with your credit card, specify where you want the rifle shipped to and pay your receiving dealer what ever amount he charges for his service and state sales tax and your good to go. They will of course need a copy of the receiving dealers FFL on file before they can ship.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:55:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By drjarhead: Yeah, if you've been happy with their business for several years I sure wouldn't slam the door on them after one little mix-up. Damn Dude, have a beer, chill...
View Quote
I haven't been exactly 100% happy with them, but this is the last straw for me. A while back, I bought a gun on GunBroker.com and had it shipped to them. Turns out their "receiving fee" had gone up to $35, which I think is pretty excessive. Before that, I had them sell a gun on consignment for me. I kind of forgot about it, then two months later I went in with my consignment receipt to ask for the gun back if it hadn't sold. They couldn't find it. They wrote me a check for what I originally wanted from the gun (less their commission of course) and sent me on my way. I would assume they did a transfer on their books from business to personal collection, and thus avoided ATF problems, but I don't really know. Also, I gave them some suppliers' names where they could buy AR15 mags a whole lot cheaper than they were paying. So, I think I've given them enough chances to do things right. The closest they ever got to making things right was "Gee dude, I'm sorry. We could order it for real this time if you want..." (paraphrasing of course). When I went in to the shop yesterday, everyone there avoided me. They knew who I was and why I was there. So I stand there like a dumba** for about 10 minutes until one of the guys finally talks to me. I handed him my receipt and said I wanted a refund. He said ok and processed it without making any effort to keep the sale. I hate gun shops. I'm starting my own.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:56:38 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TRW: Just curious. I know most of the gunstores in Utah. Which one was this?
View Quote
Since I probably pointed out an ATF violation in my last post, I'm not sure I should name names on the board. If you want to know, send me a PM.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:46:15 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BlackMountainArmory:
Originally Posted By drjarhead: Yeah, if you've been happy with their business for several years I sure wouldn't slam the door on them after one little mix-up. Damn Dude, have a beer, chill...
View Quote
I haven't been exactly 100% happy with them, but this is the last straw for me. A while back, I bought a gun on GunBroker.com and had it shipped to them. Turns out their "receiving fee" had gone up to $35, which I think is pretty excessive. Before that, I had them sell a gun on consignment for me. I kind of forgot about it, then two months later I went in with my consignment receipt to ask for the gun back if it hadn't sold. They couldn't find it. They wrote me a check for what I originally wanted from the gun (less their commission of course) and sent me on my way. I would assume they did a transfer on their books from business to personal collection, and thus avoided ATF problems, but I don't really know. Also, I gave them some suppliers' names where they could buy AR15 mags a whole lot cheaper than they were paying. So, I think I've given them enough chances to do things right. The closest they ever got to making things right was "Gee dude, I'm sorry. We could order it for real this time if you want..." (paraphrasing of course). When I went in to the shop yesterday, everyone there avoided me. They knew who I was and why I was there. So I stand there like a dumba** for about 10 minutes until one of the guys finally talks to me. I handed him my receipt and said I wanted a refund. He said ok and processed it without making any effort to keep the sale. I hate gun shops. I'm starting my own.
View Quote
Me too. I thought about it myself and went as far as being interviewed by the ATF, etc. All wrapped up until the wrench in the works. Couldn't find an insurance company that would allow me to sell guns out of my home. My insurance company said that they would drop me. Period. No one else would pick me up on those terms. I would still like to do it. Really want to have my own business and it will likely either be a gunstore or an idea I have for a "housecalls" medical service. Gonna be a little bit, though. My current FFL is great. Does transfers cheap and is always decent to me. I called about a week and a half ago telling them to get me a Beretta Storm. They had only one coming in and I got it. I try to spend money with them whenever I can even if it costs me a little bit more than the chain stores and I've picked up about 4 pieces off his shelves in the past 5 months. I've had some pretty damn negative experiences with FFLs in the past. Not sure why so many assholes end up in this biz. Gunshows are the worst. It's all I can do to keep from laughing in some of their faces. They think we are all idiots, that is plain to see. The last FFL I was using decided on a whim that my AR15 receiver sold to me by another AR15.com member was hot or some such bullshit and told me he was going to turn it over to the ATF! I called ATF myself from his store with my cell phone and I can tell you there were a few fireworks going off in that place that day. Took 2 hours and lots of phone calls but I left with my reciever. Actually I love gunshops. Just don't like some of the assholes running 'em![:)] One more question. Did you talk to the owner? The idjuts working for min wage + 2 bucks an hour don't give a shit. My experience has taught me that personnel problems are the biggest headache most business owners face. Your staff will make or break you and finding good employees these days is incredibly difficult at times. I would also say that after years of dealing with the public I have learned considerable patience when dealing with other businesses. Sometimes it pays off. Sometimes you have to be the "squeaky wheel".
Top Top