Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2003 2:07:32 PM EDT
Libya to give up WMD… Looks like preemption is paying off

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3335965.stm

Libya to give up WMD

Tony Blair applauded the move

Libya's leader Colonel Gaddafi has said his country sought to develop weapons of mass destruction capabilities but will dismantle this programme completely, Prime Minister Tony Blair has announced.

"This decision is an historic one and a courageous one and I applaud it," Mr Blair said.

Colonel Gaddafi had told him the process of dismantling the programme would be "transparent and verifiable", the prime minister said in a statement from Durham Cathedral.

The range of all Libya's missiles would be restricted to "no more then 300km", he added.

The US and its allies have long suspected that Libya had secret chemical and bio-weapons programmes, however Libya always denied such allegations saying it had only facilities for pharmaceutical or agricultural research.

Gaddafi's government took responsibility for the Lockerbie bomb

Mr Blair said Britain had been engaged in talks with Libya for nine months.

"Libya came to us in March following successful negotiations on Lockerbie to see if it could resolve its weapons of mass destruction issue in a similarly cooperative manner," he said.

The decision entitled Libya to rejoin the international community, Mr Blair said.

President Bush confirmed the announcement from the White House and said Colonel Gaddafi had agreed "immediately and unconditionally" that international weapons inspectors could enter Libya.

"Colonel Gaddafi's's commitment, once fulfiled, will make our country more safe and our world more peaceful," President Bush said.

"Leaders who abandon the pursuit of biological, chemical and nuclear weapons and the means to deliver them will find an open path to better relations with the US and other nations."

Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:39:41 PM EDT
[#1]
EXCELLENT!  We should reward Khaddafi and lift sanctions on him. We've got carrots as well as sticks in foreign policy.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#2]
This is really gonna piss off the Dimocrats....

[:D]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:50:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Assuming that they are not lying...
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like Ka-DAFFY got the message loud and clear from what happened to ol' Saddam.

Now.......MONITOR!
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:07:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess ole MO is getting a little nervous since Saddam is now a prisoner.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:09:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This is really gonna piss off the Dimocrats....

[:D]
View Quote

There was no reason for us to attack Iraq, they didn't have any WMD's

Now, next time there is an attack on US soil, we need to identify the origin and blow them back to the stone age. Maybe these towelheads will get the point.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:20:35 PM EDT
[#7]
[img]http://www.ateamshrine.co.uk/gallery/image45.jpg[/img]

[b]I love it when a plan comes together![/b]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:12:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Watch out for that "Line of Death".
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:57:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I heard something about ten nuclear sites that he was going to let us inspect and dismantle.  

Oh, how the democrats are going to hate this.  
I agree, lift the sanctions, but verify.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:15:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Watch out for that "Line of Death".
View Quote

Absolutely, you could tear out your hull if you sail over any one of those sunken Libyan warships.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Funny what having a carrier group drop a bomb through your front door and kill your kid will do.

A bit of the Reagan legacy comes back.

It just took a while for it to sink in.

Either that or he's afraid of what we did to Saddam.

Whatever, toss him a carrot.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:25:35 PM EDT
[#12]
From this month's National Review magazine:

[b]The widespread conclusion among Arabs and Muslims is that Saddam has proved a coward and a fraud. Ambiguity nevertheless remains. Iraqis themselves were evidently unable to overthrow their tyrant; Americans had to do it for them. Of course most Arabs recognize freedom when they see it, and rejoice at the turn of events. But the knowledge that somebody else has had to do what you could not do for yourself is disturbing. The impotence, the helplessness, the sight of American soldiers going about their successful business, also induces fear. [red]Muammar Qaddafi, the Libyan dictator, admitted as much (as well he might) when he declared that, as Operation Free Iraq unfolded, "I felt afraid."[/red] In Syria, President Bashar Assad similarly has to decide whether his own people or the United States is the greatest challenge to his absolute power. The Iranian regime is also torn between joy at Saddam's arrest and dismay at the evidence of American might. Uncomfortably, the sense of dishonor springs out of emotional and cultural tangles of this kind.[/b]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:50:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Funny what having a carrier group drop a bomb through your front door and kill your kid will do.

A bit of the Reagan legacy comes back.

It just took a while for it to sink in.

Either that or he's afraid of what we did to Saddam.

Whatever, toss him a carrot.
View Quote

Actually, that was one of the F-111s (out of the UK) that dropped a bomb on his tent.

Sure did modify his attitude though.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I wonder if Hillary now has her "vice president"for her upcoming campaign....Momar Q.  "He is soooooooo misunderstood".....and "He likes his women with big asses like mine."
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:57:45 PM EDT
[#15]
My daddy always said, when he got done with the belt, "a good ass whipping goes a long way".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top