BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:29:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
These “cowboys” are wearing more safety gear than the NFL. WTF?
View Quote
Same gear a rider of officer Empananda would use  @lug1 @sel366
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:46:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I didn't know they wore safety equipment like that. I thought it was just cowboy hats and huge belt buckles.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:50:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Same gear a rider of officer Empananda would use  @lug1 @sel366
View Quote
Nothing but net!!!

Whereas officer Rutterham only needs a seatbelt as she is built for speed yet very safe.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#4]
That had to hurt. A lot.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 9:00:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Word. I grew up in Salinas and I don't remember ever seeing anyone wearing a helmet and kevlar vest.
View Quote
@JUNG1999

I grew up there as well. Graduated from NSHS in 91. The rodeo was a different ballgame back then with a lot of unintentional facelifts. But it was “4 days of fun in the California sun. I think we oughtta go.....to the Rodeo”.

That damn theme song they used to play on KTOM every year has stuck in my head for 30+ years.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 9:05:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 9:06:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
I quit caring about pro bull riding along time ago. Still some good amateur stuff.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 9:07:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They wear a vest and a helmet. They already killed one cowboy this year at an event. How many NFL players have they killed ?
View Quote
Back in the day they didn’t wear ANY safety gear. They got killed and broke bones like real men.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 9:07:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Back in the day they didn’t wear ANY safety gear. They got killed and broke bones like real men.
View Quote
And that was worth watching.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 9:08:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The Yeti and Monster Energy stickers were like the icing on the cake in this video
View Quote
Dometic > Yeti
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 9:09:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've worked pbr rodeo events and those bulls are the real deal. The riders in general are pretty small guys but are pretty tough.
View Quote
They're usually little, tough wrestlers.  Big guys get worse scoring because they don't get tossed around enough.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#12]
The general public doesn't understand the difficulty in bull riding.  Being the eldest son, I had the responsibility of breaking all the green horses my old man would buy at auction.  I loved it.  I was only thrown once.  Even though I had only been around horses a few years, I could feel their movements ahead of time, and adjust accordingly.  With enough time in the pen, and plenty of bonding, I was flipping horses several times a year.

When I was introduced to bull riding, I thought, no problem, just sent small adjustments, right?

Wrong.

Completely different animal.  It's not even close.  I lasted all of 3 rides on 3 different occasions.  I did not have it, and I swear to god, the second and third bulls KNEW it.  That power is other wordly, and attempting to straddle that power is the most unnatural feeling I've ever had with an animal.  The mechanics of it simply did not make sense to me.  My hats off to those that can find the groove.

I stayed away permanently after I watched an Angus cow flip my 300lb dad in the air like a rag doll, and stomp on him while my brother and I slammed into her from a dead run.  He lucked out and only broke 3 ribs.  She was the finest cow we had.  PERFECT conformation.  She was number 8.

Number 8 was sent to the auction the next day where she tore up 20 yards of fencing and put two auction hands in the hospital.  She was sold for slaughter prices.  It's been 25 years and my old man and I still talk about that bitch.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:17:14 AM EDT
[#13]
When I was a young teenager -maybe 13 or 14- my older sister was dating a loser cowboy guy that did some rodeo.  I talked some shit about rodeo and cowboys and whatnot.  He told me I could try riding a bull if I thought I could do it.  Hell, why not? I was a tough skater punk.

I let my mouth write a check that my ass couldn't cash.

They put me on some small, slow, retarded bull and my Vision Street Wear and Vans wearing ass went flying about 1.8 seconds after the chute opened and I augered in full scorpion style.

That was the extent of my bull riding career.

To be fair, all the cowboys (with the exception of my sister's boyfriend) were good sports and pretty cool guys.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don’t care about that stuff.  But that was nothing.

Google Tuff Hedeman on Bodacious.

https://youtu.be/rtQrWs9DxjQ
View Quote
I don't need to see that again. I saw it when it happened. Bodacious was a true monster, and any cowboy that got on his back with out all the gear they wear now, was a true stud. I remember watching the PBR on TV when Donny Gay was announcing.... the first time a guy climbed on a bull with a catchers mask on, you could tell Donny was rolling his eyes inside.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:29:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I am pretty sure for younger riders the helmet is mandatory.  I read the rules a while back. Older guys it is optional.
View Quote
Sort of like when the NHL went to helmets.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:22:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I bet that bull weighs more and is stronger than anyone in the NFL
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Plus he has horns and hooves and knows how to use them.

Quoted:

Went to a PBR event during the Kapernick kneeling controversy. The PBR made a huge deal about how they wouldn't kneel and supported America. This included riders from South America. Talked about how if these guys dont ride their family does not eat.

Any comparison to the NFL is wholly unfair.
Oh, some will kneel alright, but it's to thank God they're able to get out of the ring under their own power.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:26:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and a temper.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Lane Frost
View Quote
Just posted about him today lol .
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

@JUNG1999

I grew up there as well. Graduated from NSHS in 91. The rodeo was a different ballgame back then with a lot of unintentional facelifts. But it was “4 days of fun in the California sun. I think we oughtta go.....to the Rodeo”.

That damn theme song they used to play on KTOM every year has stuck in my head for 30+ years.
View Quote
@morning_would
People in Salinas love their rodeo!

Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll never understand why some people want to ride on the back of 2000lbs of angry beef.... What could possibly go wrong?
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:52:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:55:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
In that instance, you might be confusing Bodacious for Bananarama.
West was supposed to ride Bodacious in a charity ride some time after his retirement to settle their 2-2 tied record, and West did a ride somewhere just before the charity ride, drawing Bananarama.

Bananarama did some serious damage to West in the chute, and the charity ride on Bodacious never happened.

Jay
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Terry Don West and "Bodacious" are largely responsible!for that.
Bull reared in the chute with him and then ground him against the panels.
Damn near killed him and crushed nearly every bone in his face and body in the process.
In that instance, you might be confusing Bodacious for Bananarama.
West was supposed to ride Bodacious in a charity ride some time after his retirement to settle their 2-2 tied record, and West did a ride somewhere just before the charity ride, drawing Bananarama.

Bananarama did some serious damage to West in the chute, and the charity ride on Bodacious never happened.

Jay
You'd be correct. Man getting old sucks! Bodacious more than lived up to his name, he was incredibly athletic for an animal his size.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 2:19:16 PM EDT
[#23]
I respect the extreme toughness and skill involved but what a fucking stupid sport.

If you want to get beat up train MMA at least you can hit someone back.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 2:54:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 4:07:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well when defensive linemen get weighing 2000lb and have horns, it will be fair.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Liability insurance probably requires them too....because getting killed sucks
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 4:51:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Ya know, bull riders 'used' to do that without all the helmets and body armor ...just sayin'

Bronc' riders too.

Hat in one hand, other hand holdin' tight and heels kickin' hard!

Helluva dangerous 'sport' they're playing.

No Colin Kaepernick's out in those pens.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 3:12:43 PM EDT
[#28]
This is why smart bull riders use protective gear...
Wreck: Hostage Escapes Lonnie West | 2018 PBR World Finals
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 4:43:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This is why smart bull riders use protective gear...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sk8ziTXhAo
View Quote
Took so long to get going the bull made it personal.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top