Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/19/2003 8:03:48 AM EDT
In a conversation with someone you wish would just stop?

How do you get out of it, tactfully I mean?
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:06:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:07:21 AM EDT
Tactfully? I say, "Excuse me one moment - but I just remembered that I have to go and shoot myself in the fucking head!"
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:08:26 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Dolomite: Tactfully? I say, "Excuse me one moment - but I just remembered that I have to go and shoot myself in the fucking head!"
View Quote
LOL, OK forget tactfully.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:12:16 AM EDT
We have an associate who is an interminable windbag, and frankly a bore. He is actually renowned in certain circles for his capacity to never know when to STFU. The worst part is that he does not possess the capacity to listen to a gaddamn thing. At the last conference I attended when Iran into this asshat, he cornered me for like 15 minutes, and for the life of me, I still cannot to this day comprehend what the fuck he was getting at. He was just dropping names like crazy, and had no real direction with his diatribe. Finally, I just said, "Tim, I gotta go the john and make some phone calls. See you later."
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:12:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/19/2003 8:14:12 AM EDT by FLAL1A]
Practice looking suddenly shocked, and saying "Oh, man! He/she/they is/are going to murder me! I'm sorry, I've got to run!" Works +90% of the time. For the rest you just add "I told ________ I'd ________ - 5 minutes ago!" My personal favorite, which is very common where I live and is regarded as polite but very pointed, is "OK, let me let you go, now."
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:18:49 AM EDT
Trust me....[i]Nobody[/i] wants to talk to me for long. Sgtar15
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:26:48 AM EDT
There's this guy at work ... I actually plan my routes around his work area.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:27:35 AM EDT
Originally Posted By clean_cut: In a conversation with someone you wish would just stop? How do you get out of it, tact[red]ical[/red]fully I mean?
View Quote
There, I fixed it for you. This is AR15.com, for Christ's sake! [:D] NsB
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:29:37 AM EDT
The Refined Southern Lady method seems to work. Look at them sincerely, smile, and say: "Iddn't that sumpthin'?" This phrase doubles for: "You are more boring than watching paint dry." "You are so full of shit, I am surprised your eyes are still blue." "I have heard this story so many times from you, I could tell it back to you." "You are a pompous arrogant ass and a liar to boot." Trust me, the Scarlett O'Hara Method is used a *lot* down here, and it works on those who know the Code. Watch for it. Repeat as needed. Thanks to Mrs.TheRedgoat for teaching me this invaluable bit of Southern culture. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:32:09 AM EDT
I used to be naive enough to think that when somebody asked, "How are you doing?" they actually wanted to know. Now when somebody says, "How are you doing?" I reply, "Hello." Back to the question. When I'm in that situation I just say, "Well, I gotta go do some stuff- catch you later", and walk off.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:32:26 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Hannah_Reitsch: The Refined Southern Lady method seems to work. Look at them sincerely, smile, and say: [red]"Iddn't that sumpthin'?"[/red] This phrase doubles for: "You are more boring than watching paint dry." "You are so full of shit, I am surprised your eyes are still blue." "I have heard this story so many times from you, I could tell it back to you." "You are a pompous arrogant ass and a liar to boot." Trust me, the Scarlett O'Hara Method is used a *lot* down here, and it works on those who know the Code. Watch for it. Repeat as needed. Thanks to Mrs.TheRedgoat for teaching me this invaluable bit of Southern culture. [:D]
View Quote
"Iddn't that sumpthin'?" Oh, shit! I think someone said that to me.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:48:22 AM EDT
[b]
Originally Posted By Hannah_Reitsch: ..."You are so full of shit, I am surprised your eyes are still blue.".... [:D]
View Quote
[/b] [rofl2]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:52:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/19/2003 8:53:18 AM EDT by MadProfessor]
"Excuse me, I have to go strangle a chicken, cyah later"
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 1:04:27 PM EDT
Excuse me while I go jack off. Works every time.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:40:37 PM EDT
1. I usually give 'em the "Hey, can you wait here for just a minute? I'll be right back." I then make my escape. 2. Or for the case where I just can't stand to listen to any more BS, I just say, "I gotta go," do a 180 and leave.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:41:41 PM EDT
ok man, gotta go walk away.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:55:53 PM EDT
..........shut up.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:29:13 PM EDT
If you don't shut up I'm going to F your sister!
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:35:43 PM EDT
Anybody else notice that the next thread title is "Getting Hitched" coincidence or ???
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:01:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Paul: There's this guy at work ... I actually plan my routes around his work area.
View Quote
[:)] Hey, I wondered why I hadn't seen you in a while! Say, how's your wife and kid? Mine are great! Hey, Little mindy just said her first word last weekend! Yours talkin' yet? Ha! they learn to talk then next thing you know........
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:15:10 PM EDT
Sometimes I am afraid I am that guy.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:27:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/19/2003 7:28:00 PM EDT by TomJefferson]
Get blunt and rude, I'm afraid. "I'm sorry I'd like to continue this discussion but I have things to do right now. Bye." Tj
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:41:41 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TomJefferson: Get blunt and rude, I'm afraid. "I'm sorry I'd like to continue this discussion but I have things to do right now. [red]Furthermore, it occurs to me that not only am I currently dying at precisely the same rate as I would be were I doing something pleasant, I am also growing dumber with each word extruded from your yawning pit of ennui.[/red]Bye." Tj
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:46:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By clean_cut: In a conversation with someone you wish would just stop?
View Quote
Obviously, you haven't disagreed with EricTheHun here yet. That man will talk a hole in the side of your head. I'm not sure if he ever convinces anyone or if they just submit in the face of overwhelming verbosity.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 10:00:01 PM EDT
I worked at a kiosk in a mall not too long ago selling cell phones... anyway, this geriatric fucktard comes walking up wearing jeans, suspenders and a hardhat painted with the stars and stripes, his fat ass belly just hanging over his pants and straining the buttons on his dirty shirt, and starts talking to me about phones. I turn around but mysteriously all the guys I work with are gone, so I have to humor him. Conversation is going well till I let slip that I had been in the Navy... oh shit, I thought as I saw his eyes light up. This guy was a SEAL, or at least had been back in 'Nam, till he got shot in the leg by an AK. Used to pal around with Admiral Mike Boorda (the CNO who killed himself), back when Mike was just a junior officer. He was a sniper too... since they didn't have to hump as much as the normal SEALs, what with his shot up leg and all. Mentioned some absurd amount of confirmed kills, like 60+, some hand-to-hand. 20 minutes go by and this ass just wont run out of wind. By this time all my coworkers are laughing at me, and all I can do is nod politely and mutter the occaisional "uh-huh", or "wow, bet that was exciting". I kept looking for an out, but couldn't find it... till my buddy tried to help me out by leaning over and telling me that I had to go to lunch or I was holding everyone else up. This was untrue of course, but I jumped on it as a not unkind way of getting the fuck away from that moron. Get this, that bastard followed me! Talking the whole way to the food court! Said he hadn't had lunch yet and would love to join me! I was in hell at this point. I sat for 20 minutes with this wannabe lying assclown talking at me, and generally embarrasing me for being seen in an upscale mall with a guy in a hardhat who WASN'T fixing something. I literally lost it at the end... I just hopped up and said bye, and walked very, very quickly away. Thank God he never came back. Fucker didn't even buy a phone.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 10:05:06 PM EDT
[b]Ever been held hostage [/b] Only by love. [:D] [devil]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 10:25:17 PM EDT
Develope an eye twitch.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:38:24 AM EDT
I was held hostage by the clintoon administration for eight years.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:14:49 AM EDT
"Y'know I just remembered I have to go rearrange my sock drawer." Either that or a mall-ninja chop to the adams apple usually works.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:18:25 AM EDT
Originally Posted By skipperJ: I was held hostage by the clintoon administration for eight years.
View Quote
Weren't we all.
Top Top