Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2003 10:13:44 PM EDT

Hey there,

I have a lot of time on my hands now and I think it would be kind of cool to make one.
So

How do I do it, where do I get the stuff I need?

What I remember reading in the past is that I should buy a full body suit, like a flight suit or something, they are not too hard to find.

Then I need to buy a lightweight hammock from wallyworld or someplace, and sew it onto the back of the suit.

Then buy burlap, make frayed rope, string and crap and tie that stuff onto the hammock.

What am I missing?

Do I connect the legs with the netting or leave them seperated?

What else do I need to know, got any how-tos on the net?

Thanks

Link Posted: 12/18/2003 11:15:03 PM EDT
I've made several. Go to [URL]http://www.sniperworld.com/[/URL] and follow the links. I bought my first one and made a few more. They take a while to make. Most kits are base off a pair of BDU's and come with 1/2" padding and burlap. I stalked a deer on the ground feeding this year in one. I was downwind and got within 50' of him.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 11:15:05 PM EDT
I've made one... Made it out of an old flight suit of mine and some netting I picked up a local story. The burlap isn't hard to find, go to a feed store or fabric store, somtimes they have sheets of the stuff. Search the net, there's tons of web-sites out there with info..... The only thing I wish I wouldn't have done different on mine was not add so much burlap. It ended up being heavier then I wanted. [b]Less is more!!![/b] DG84
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:19:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/19/2003 2:25:52 AM EDT by Garand1911]
my bro made one -- he used a regular camo BDU jacket and sewed a net on the back and the arms, and one on a boonie hat. if sewing aint your thing try hot gluing or stapling the net on. dont use burlap unless you treat it with fire retardent or you could have a spontaneous combustion. dont restrict yourself to burlap and jute either, you can use a lot of things. old BDUs ripped into long strips, old brown t-shirts, cheap military/hunting camo shelters/blinds, from the arts/crafts store get some stuff called "raffia" its natural looking long strips of grass. really try to mix it up with colors and fake vegetation, various lengths of strippings will keep it from looking like a perfect hair cut, you can even dye old white t-shirts into the colors your need. id make pants seperate, so you arent forced to wear the whole thing if you only want the top or the bottom. attach the netting so it looks like chaps, the long strips from the top should help cover your ass, plus if you use camo top/pants it will be ok to have some bare spots. heres a SECRET tip for your gun to ghillie it out --- go to the grocery store and get a long white net style meat sock, the kind that keeps the meat from falling apart while cooking. it will be white so you have to dye it a camo color. then stretch this thing over your scope, gun, arms (if your wearing a short sleeve shirt) and run your ghillie strips through it. CHEAP, EASY, EFFECTIVE.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:52:01 AM EDT
Check out this link. It is pretty informative and will give you some ideas.[url]http://www.geocities.com/stalker217/ghillie/[/url]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:51:39 AM EDT
Yes! I have made several and please take my advice [b]DON'T DO IT![/b] As said above, less is more. I can guarantee you that your first one will come out looking like something that Sonny & Cher wore back in the 1960's. It will take you a few weeks to make, it will cost a fortune and it will weigh a ton. After about 4-5 failed attempts, you might just get one right and that will be with a Gunny Sgt looking over your shoulder and giving you directions. Without help you might get it right in about 8-10 tries on your own. I'm too old for this shit! Go to [url]ghilliesuits.com[/url] and they'll do it right. They'll have it on your front porch tomorrow too!
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:18:32 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:28:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/19/2003 4:29:38 AM EDT by Brad86]
Well, if you've got plenty of time on your hands, then by all means, make one. Before you start, figure if you're going to be doing your stalking by crawling or by walking. If crawling then go with the "military" style ghillie. A flight suit or BDU's with the netting and garnish on the back and back of the legs. If you're going this route, get a few sizes bigger than what you normally wear, that way you can just slip it on over your regular gear. Don't forget to add some canvas (preferably with padding) to the chest , knees and elbows, your joints will thank you later. If walking then, go with the "poncho" style with the netting and garnish on both the front and back. Don't forget either a hood or adding the netting to an old boonie hat and tie the garnish to that. Just remember the 60/40 rule, 60% natural and 40% burlap. Leave room to add natural vegetation when you get to your AO. You don't want to look like a lump of shit out there, the idea is to look like nothing. Also, go lighter on the colors. It's much easier to darken it up then it is to lighten.
Top Top