Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/18/2003 6:26:36 PM EDT
Not friendly to the Left Handed shooters, awkward to have to reach up and over the top cover or optics to run the charge handle.

Fluted chamber destroys brass for potential reloading.

Fluted chamber also means no shooting subsonic ammunition through silencers.

One of the hardest and most expensive rifles to have gunsmithing and custom set ups done.

No bolt hold open on last round fired.

G3 on full auto is more like a buckboard ride back and forth, compared to other 308 rifles which are more of a steady push.

Most any optics mounted will remove the finish from the gun in the area of the mount.

I like the AR 308 platform, and the FALs get put together at home workshops easily with minimal tools, reliability of the FAL G1 I am shooting could not be better and the gas system adjusts for differing loads.

I do not like FAL sights but I do not like HK drum sights either.

Just an AR purist.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:41:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/18/2003 6:42:50 PM EDT by blatherman]
Originally Posted By David_Hineline: Not friendly to the Left Handed shooters, awkward to have to reach up and over the top cover or optics to run the charge handle.
View Quote
I'm not left handed, so I don't care
Fluted chamber destroys brass for potential reloading.
View Quote
Untrue. I've reloaded for my HK91 for years and have never had the brass destroyed by the fluting.
Fluted chamber also means no shooting subsonic ammunition through silencers.
View Quote
And the MP5SD isn't fluted...?
One of the hardest and most expensive rifles to have gunsmithing and custom set ups done.
View Quote
True, but for most HK enthusiasts, that isn't a factor.
No bolt hold open on last round fired.
View Quote
Good point. I agree with you on that one.
G3 on full auto is more like a buckboard ride back and forth, compared to other 308 rifles which are more of a steady push.
View Quote
I can't comment on that one...
Most any optics mounted will remove the finish from the gun in the area of the mount.
View Quote
I guess that only matters if you don't plan on shooting (and therefore using) your rifle.
I like the AR 308 platform, and the FALs get put together at home workshops easily with minimal tools, reliability of the FAL G1 I am shooting could not be better and the gas system adjusts for differing loads.
View Quote
My HK91 does not need to be adjusted to fire different loads.
I do not like FAL sights but I do not like HK drum sights either.
I find the sights to be quite effective. To each his own.
Just an AR purist.
View Quote
I can respect that. I'm and HK purist.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:54:17 PM EDT
While the G3 is not ergonomically ideal for me, I LOVE the design. I have a particular fondness for the delayed blowback. When I was an MG gunner, I really admired the MG-3 (rebarreled MG-42) and its similar system. For some reason, I think it's much cleverer and simpler design-wise (KIS principle) than gas-operated systems. To each his own I guess. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:58:55 PM EDT
I don't find the recoil of the G3 unmanageable at all. For anybody that has met me, that says quite a bit about it. Let's put it this way...I'm not gonna win Mr. Olympia anytime soon.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:06:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:26:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SteyrAUG:
Originally Posted By David_Hineline: No bolt hold open on last round fired.
View Quote
How come NOBODY ever critcizes the AK for this?
View Quote
Because they are too busy wondering why they missed the target or fumbling around with mag changes.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:27:49 PM EDT
I agree the fluting doesnt destroy the brass. You get the mouth dings but the fluting leaves the stripes but dont destroy the brass. The biggest complaint is that they are heavy. But most 308 rifles are heavy. They are also difficult to control in full-auto. Thats why the mid range rounds are so popular. More rounds, less weight, less recoil. Of course you trade away the ability to shoot longer distances.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:30:12 PM EDT
Because people who choose the AK are just glad they traded thier SKS and Helwan pistol off for an AK. I am not referring to the felt recoil of the G3 I am referring to the back and forth rocking motion. It does not hurt like an M14 but it's not smooth like an FAL or Beretta BM59 [url]http://myweb.cableone.net/uziforme/beretta.wmv[/url]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:31:08 PM EDT
[lol] I guess after Steyr's review we're going to have a new HK91 GROUP BUY within the next 1-3 weeks. Seems to be the pattern! [ROFL2] J/K Steyr! I liked the 91/G3 I've fired. I really thought they're nice rifles. Nice, but WAY out of my price range for a really nice one. I'll stick with my Olympic Arms PCR... [shock] [whisper mode] (he said olympic arms!!! he DOESN'T OWN A COLT/ARMALITE/BUSHMASTER??? OMFG!!!) [/whisper mode] Olympic Arms Sucks! ==> [argue] <== No It Doesn't!
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:38:14 PM EDT
To be fair Steyr, I think no one ever criticizes the AK for this for the same reason no one criticizes the Yugo's lack of heated seats and a power sunroof. Its simply not in the price of admission. I think the criticism comes fairly when one compares it to other rifles of that vintage that possessed the feature. Especially in light of the overall quality of the rest of the rifle.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:39:47 PM EDT
Originally Posted By iNuhBaDNayburhood: [lol] I guess after Steyr's review we're going to have a new HK91 GROUP BUY within the next 1-3 weeks. Seems to be the pattern! [ROFL2]
View Quote
wise guy
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:41:49 PM EDT
If you buy a Benz you expect power windows. You buy a Yugo, youre happy it starts.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:42:30 PM EDT
I loved everything about my 91...but the weight. I had an IB gun, and it was a boat anchor. That's the only complaint I had about it. It had a buttery smooth trigger, a great rear sight, and was more accurate than any other .308 MBR I've ever played with.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:59:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SteyrAUG:
Originally Posted By David_Hineline: No bolt hold open on last round fired.
View Quote
How come NOBODY ever critcizes the AK for this?
View Quote
*I* do, every damn time I pull the trigger on an empty mag. "CLICK! SHIT!" It's the one really weak point in the system I think. A fatal flaw. I love my SLR95 but I HATE that no last round hold open. I think there's a kit on the web you can add to your AK to add last round hold open but IIRC it's hellaciously expensive..... Matt
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 8:31:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 8:45:55 PM EDT
[b]Originally Posted By SteyrAUG: How come NOBODY ever critcizes the AK for this?[/b]
View Quote
Same thing with trucks, when I drive my H2, I get smart ass remarks like, "it's only a Tahoe", "can't offroad with the thing", etc. with my older H1, "too big, clunky", "can't go on narrow trails, too wide,", etc. How come nobody cares to comment on the Escalades? they're only Suburban and Tahoes with a body kit and DUB size rims. How about the Lexus 450, they're only a Toyota LandCruiser with a body kit. There are a lot of other trucks out there that are rebadged, definitely not the H2 but that is what people think and there is nothing we can do about it. Honestly though, these type of people are just jealous. [:P] j/k. PS: I luv my HK91. :)
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:44:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:09:35 AM EDT
Nobody has mentioned how the collapsible stock (a.k.a "The Meat Tenderizer") pummels your shoulder into a bloody mass of gelatinous goo. Runner up is the shiner I almost get every time I fire the damn thing. Not to mention the side-to-side up-and-down recoil action--very jiggy baby. On the upside are the sights--I wish EVERY rifle had that sight picture.
Top Top