Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/18/2003 2:00:32 PM EDT
I watched the last 10 minuets or so of "Bandelaro" last night, & it seems that "Lonesome Dove" borrowed characters from this movie. They had 3 main parts that had the same theme/name/job in the movie.
George Kennedy was a sheriff named July Johnson, & his slow witted Deputy was Roscoe Bookbinder. July was vying for the affection of a female who's name I didn't hear, who was in love with Dee Booth, played by Dean martin.
I will look for the movie to watch it next time in it's entirety to see if there are other Lonesome Dove parts. Dee Booth, & his brother Jimmy Stewart we going to start a ranch in Montana. Just a coincidence? I think not!
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:23:44 PM EDT
You should not be surprised. I have seen Bandelaro and noticed the same thing. Many of the events and characters the Lonesome Dove book are based on real events and real people. So many of the characters are by definition “borrowed”. The McCrae and Call characters are based on real people. The whole cattle drive is based on a real one and even the taking of McCrae’s body back to Texas is based on historical events. It may be McMurtry was involved in writing the Bandelaro screenplay.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:47:23 PM EDT
Yes I know about Goodnight, & Loving, & how they actually did the drive, & subsequent return to Texas for burial. I just had never heard of taking some much from one movie to add to another. Unless it was a sequel. I'll look for McMurty in the credits.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:52:18 PM EDT
"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it."
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:53:16 PM EDT
Bandolero! 1968 CAST James Stewart, Dean Martin, Raquel Welch, George Kennedy, Will Geer, Andrew Prine CREW Andrew V. McLaglen Director Robert L. Jacks Producer James Lee Barrett Screenwriter William Clothier Director of Photography Jerry Goldsmith Composer Stanley L. Hough Story Alfred Sweeney Production Designer Jack Martin Smith Production Designer Folmar Blangsted Editor [devil]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 3:08:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Old_Painless: "I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it."
View Quote
See! they took Old Painless's sig line to use in the movie as well!
Top Top