Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2003 2:00:32 PM EDT
I watched the last 10 minuets or so of "Bandelaro" last night, & it seems that "Lonesome Dove" borrowed characters from this movie. They had 3 main parts that had the same theme/name/job in the movie.
George Kennedy was a sheriff named July Johnson, & his slow witted Deputy was Roscoe Bookbinder. July was vying for the affection of a female who's name I didn't hear, who was in love with Dee Booth, played by Dean martin.
I will look for the movie to watch it next time in it's entirety to see if there are other Lonesome Dove parts. Dee Booth, & his brother Jimmy Stewart we going to start a ranch in Montana. Just a coincidence? I think not!  
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:23:44 PM EDT
[#1]
You should not be surprised.

I have seen Bandelaro and noticed the same thing.

Many of the events and characters the Lonesome Dove book are based on real events and real people. So many of the characters are by definition “borrowed”.

The McCrae and Call characters are based on real people. The whole cattle drive is based on a real one and even the taking of McCrae’s body back to Texas is based on historical events.

It may be McMurtry was involved in writing the Bandelaro screenplay.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:47:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes I know about Goodnight, & Loving, & how they actually did the drive, & subsequent return to Texas for burial. I just had never heard of taking some much from one movie to add to another. Unless it was a sequel.
I'll look for McMurty in the credits.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:52:18 PM EDT
[#3]
"I hate rude behavior in a man.  I won't tolerate it."
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:53:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Bandolero! 1968

CAST

James Stewart, Dean Martin, Raquel Welch, George Kennedy, Will Geer, Andrew Prine

CREW

Andrew V. McLaglen
Director

Robert L. Jacks
Producer

James Lee Barrett
Screenwriter

William Clothier
Director of Photography

Jerry Goldsmith
Composer

Stanley L. Hough
Story

Alfred Sweeney
Production Designer

Jack Martin Smith
Production Designer

Folmar Blangsted
Editor

[devil]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
"I hate rude behavior in a man.  I won't tolerate it."
View Quote

See! they took Old Painless's sig line to use in the movie as well!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top