Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2003 1:43:27 PM EDT
These thoughts came from reading the Whataburger threads.  One point that was brought up by a couple members was "What if the BGs have a plant in the store?" or "What if they have a lookout outside?"

I'm no hero, and I'm sure not a Rambo, but my thought is that if "what-iffing" will paralyze you with indecision, you had better not carry.

Assess the situation as best you can, then deal with "What is."

I cannot depend upon the benevolence and good intentions of armed robbers.  I don't carry so I can snivel "Please don't hurt me" in the corner.  I also don't carry so I can take advantage of an opportunity to be foolish.  I carry so I have the means to defend myself and my family.

As for the hostage scenario, it would definitely be difficult.  One thing I've told my wife is that if someone breaks in and is holding one of our daughters, and she has a gun pointed at him, DO NOT SURRENDER THE WEAPON.

He might say "Put the gun down and nobody will get hurt", but these guuys lie.  I explained that if she puts the gun down everybody will most likely die.  You can't trust a criminal, except to be a criminal.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:01:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
As for the hostage scenario, it would definitely be difficult.  One thing I've told my wife is that if someone breaks in and is holding one of our daughters, and she has a gun pointed at him, DO NOT SURRENDER THE WEAPON.
View Quote

IMO, you're absolutely correct.  Nothing good can come from 'disarming' yourself.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:12:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
 I don't carry so I can snivel "Please don't hurt me" in the corner.
View Quote

Oh, I can snivel like hell, just long enough to distract them so that I can unholster my weapon discreetly and then send them straight to hell. I hate to stoop to quoting Sun Tzu, but deceiving your enemy into underestimating your resolve is a solid tactic of war.

As far as surrendering a weapon, as the old adage goes, the only way you should ever be killed with your own weapon is when they beat you to death with it because you already shot all your ammo at them.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:29:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Oh, I can snivel like hell, just long enough to distract them so that I can unholster my weapon discreetly and then send them straight to hell. I hate to stoop to quoting Sun Tzu, but deceiving your enemy into underestimating your resolve is a solid tactic of war.

View Quote

A friend of mine carries a pocket pistol as a carjacking deterrent.  His plan is saying, "Please don't shoot me!  Please don't shoot me!", and slipping the gun out while appearing to be fumbling with the seat belt.  Then it's a facefull of BAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAM!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top