BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/18/2003 1:16:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 1:22:50 PM EDT
[#1]

Well, bless my soul, Hun, y'all got me interested.  After all, " Old times there are not forgotted!"
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I plan on seeing it. It looks better than  "God's & Generals" It couldn't be worse.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I probably will, initially to look for an acquaintance who did some riding in the movie.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I want Nicole Kidman to be signed to a 15 year exclusive contract to remake and lead star in  Swamp Thing, Swamp Thing II and Swamp Thing III.  Under terms of the contract she is not allowed to do other movies during this time.

Jude Law-- He should be cast as the lead figure in "The Legend of Tom Thumb:  Malicious Little Person and Little-Known Acrobat."  He should be responsible for all acrobatic stunts.  

Seriously, it looks like an ok movie.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2003 1:34:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Shame on you SearcherforTruth.God's and Generals was a great movie that(I thought)showed us a somewhat unbiased view of the Civil War as well as any movie could.AtLEAST G&G was based on fact.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Eh.  I liked it better the first time I saw it, when it was titled The Odyessy.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 1:44:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Shame on you SearcherforTruth.God's and Generals was a great movie that(I thought)showed us a somewhat unbiased view of the Civil War as well as any movie could.AtLEAST G&G was based on fact.
View Quote

No shame on me. I didn't make that movie lousy, they did. It was no where near as good as Gettysburg. I personally wouldn't buy or add it to my war movie collection. I could barley stay awake when I saw it in the theater, I was disappointed in it to say the least. Love it if you will, but don't tell me I need to, because you can't force love, & Lord knows I wanted to love it, like Gettysburg.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 1:44:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 1:46:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I would like to see it. From what I have heard, it's going to be pretty damn good.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

No shame on me. I didn't make that movie lousy, they did. It was no where near as good as Gettysburg. I personally wouldn't buy or add it to my war movie collection. I could barley stay awake when I saw it in the theater, I was disappointed in it to say the least. Love it if you will, but don't tell me I need to, because you can't force love, & Lord knows I wanted to love it, like Gettysburg.
View Quote

Fair enough.
BTW:I never said I LOVED it.(it could have been more graphic and longer)
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:03:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Kinda of strange that it was filmed in Transylvania, the land of Dracula lore, as opposed to our very own south. I guess the south is too developed these days to present a historically correct locale.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:04:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I've been seeing previews on dish network, and plan to see it. I'll wait 'til it's released for rental though, as I don't go out to movies.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:09:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:20:23 PM EDT
[#15]
No doubt it was cheaper to film in Romania. Just as it's cheaper to export jobs overseas.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:20:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Post from Aimless -
Wish we still had The Duke [:(] I was just watching "The Searchers" last night

"I didn't see you at the Surrender."
"That's 'cause I didn't surrender."
[:D]
View Quote

How could a Yankee such as yourself love that movie, the way that I, a Southern Hun, loved that movie?

Huh? Didja think about that?

Actually, [b]'The Searchers'[/b] was based, to a degree, upon the 'Story of Cynthia Ann Parker', a young white girl captured in 1839 in Freestone/Limestone County, Texas, by the Comanche Indians, and recovered in 1861 by Capt. Sullivan Ross of the Texas Rangers, who was later Governor of Texas and President of Texas A&M College (University).

The battle in which Cynthia Ann Parker was recovered was the [b]'Battle of Pease River'[/b], which happened about 4 miles from the Hun Farm, in Foard County, texas!

In the Hun Farm Photos, the river you see (or may not see, depending upon rain) is the Pease River!

YeeeHaaawwww! I love Texas History!

BTW, Quanah Parker, Cynthia Ann's son, was the last great War Chief of the Comanche Indians!

Eric The(Historical)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

ETH, aimless couldn't have led into your part of the country any better if he had been trying. Great historical post... fullclip

Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:20:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:25:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:27:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Have y'all ever noticed how easily English and Australian actresses pick up Southern accents?

Has anyone ever sounded as 'Georgian' as Vivian Leigh portraying Scarlet O'Hara?

I would imagine that Nicole Kidman sounds as gracious and loving as the Georgia Peach I dated in law school, who was from Atlanta!

Hmmm. Georgia Peaches! I wish I had that young lady's number now!

Of course that Georgia Peach would be around 50 by now...maybe I should ask to speak to her daughter?

[:D]

Eric The(Whimsical,ButOddlyAroused)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

i loved the book and will be sure to check out the movie, Mr. Eric the(the reviewer)Hun.

as far as the georgia peach, if she's laid off tha biscuits and gravy she could still have that Dixie Carter look! grrrrrrrrrrrrr!
then it could be tha Dixie Carter Georgia Peach and Eric The (Tree Shakin')Hun.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Movie, no idea. Gonna go see it.

Book, hell yes. I cried when I read it, in parts of it. It's the story of a man who wants to go home, and it has a very "post-apocalyptic" feel to it. It could just as easily be set in a post nuclear setting a la The Postman or Alas Babylon, or something.

I heartily recommend it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Nope.  

Foreign locale for shooting and foreign actors in a film about perhaps THE seminal event in AMERICAN history.

What is wrong with AMERICAN actors and an AMERICAN locale.  

No thanks.  

Moreover, it just doesn't look all that interesting.  

It seems like it's nothing but Nicole and Renee building a log home and going without a shower for a long time while Jude is out getting musket balls fired at him.  

I'm just not excited to see it in the least.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:36:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:38:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:41:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Probably not.  It's gotten pretty bad initial reviews and I browsed through the book at the store and didn't care for it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:45:59 PM EDT
[#26]
ETH, I read a book about 15 years ago called "The History of the English Language" (I was bored at the time! :) ) It stated that the Southern accent was a result of the majority of Southerners being of Scots/Irish/Welsh descent. I wonder if that is why it is so easy for English/Australian actors to mimic the Southern drawl?
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:50:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I'll read the book first.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:57:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 3:23:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Transylvania County NC is Gods country for sure. Tough place to live and work but it's so beautiful that it sooths my soul just to visit.

By the way the NC mountains were a haven for Southerners who did not support the rebel cause.  Many were Scotts, new to America, who didn't support slavery because they weren't even a generation removed from being slaves to the Brits themselves. You can still stumble upon shallow caves where these people hid, sometimes for yesrs, from the local militia. More than a few were caught and shot.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 3:26:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Eric, I too want to see this, but am wondering if, well, the producers could not have found some uh, Americans, to play the leads?  British actors in a decidedly American movie kind of defeats the point, does it not?

Marian
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 3:38:47 PM EDT
[#31]
I see it every morning when I walk out on the front porch. The same Cold Mountain is right in my county, covered now by the shining rock wilderness area.

The history of the world changed on the top of Cold Mountain 1946. Major General Paul B. Wurtsmith, destined to be the commander of the yet to be formed Strategic Air Command, was killed when his B-26 crashed on the summit. After his death, Curtis Lemay rose to command the SAC, and did a marvelous job of creating the Air Force that helped us win the Cold War. Plus, he was crazy as hell and the Russians were truely scared of him.

Had this accident not happened, the history of the United States Air Force, and indeed the free world, could have been very different.

[url]www.wafb.net/index.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#32]

Has anyone ever sounded as 'Georgian' as Vivian Leigh portraying Scarlet O'Hara?
View Quote

Yes.  Real, dyed in the wool Georgians.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 3:52:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 3:58:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Well, Eric, as always you do have a point.  A girl can wish though, right?

Marian
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:09:18 PM EDT
[#36]
I'll probably see it.  I liked Jude Law in "Enemy At The gates" and "Road to Perdition". Maybe I'll get to see Nicole without her shirt on.  I love redheads.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#37]
I don't think I'll go see the movie.

I have not read the book but I have heard that the main character in the movie curses the South and the Confederacy and makes statements about it  "not being his war".

Since I am a real Southerner with roots back to the Confederacy I refused to pay somebody money to hear talk like that.

You yankee boys and neo-southerners may do what you little hearts dictates.  Go ahead and pay the money and reward some more Hollywood bad behavior.   I will not pay someone to hear them curse the cause of my Great, Great, Great Grandfather's duty.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:50:54 PM EDT
[#38]
I loved the book, so I will give the movie a try.

BTW, was't Inman in the book a rather tall fellow? I never imagined Jude Law for the role.

Natalie Portman is another liberal hottie in the movie I wouldn't mind seeing.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:51:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Jude Law is in my category of [b]pseudo-men[/b], so if I see it, it will be for the story and not the actors.  Still, it looks like a good movie, so I will have to persuade QuietShootr with my wiley ways to take me.

Marian
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:44:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I see it every morning when I walk out on the front porch. The same Cold Mountain is right in my county, covered now by the shining rock wilderness area.

The history of the world changed on the top of Cold Mountain 1946. Major General Paul B. Wurtsmith, destined to be the commander of the yet to be formed Strategic Air Command, was killed when his B-26 crashed on the summit. After his death, Curtis Lemay rose to command the SAC, and did a marvelous job of creating the Air Force that helped us win the Cold War. Plus, he was crazy as hell and the Russians were truely scared of him.

Had this accident not happened, the history of the United States Air Force, and indeed the free world, could have been very different.

[url]www.wafb.net/index.htm[/url]
View Quote

Now that is interesting.  And Jude Law is kinda fruity.  Maybe Matt Damon woulda been a better choice.  Though it might be tough to get rid of that Bostonian accent.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:23:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Hey Hun; Are ya gonna break 20,000 posts before the year ends?

Giggle (CarpelTunnelSyndrome) Smith
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:02:39 PM EDT
[#42]
]

Maybe Matt Damon woulda been a better choice.  
View Quote

I think the producers wanted a real actor. Sorry, Matt Damon seems a little more fruity to me.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:17:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Eric The Hun- You should know that Georgia peachs are with out a doubt sweet, but Texas Melons are BIGGER!
Does Nicole gett Naked?
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 10:37:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
]

Maybe Matt Damon woulda been a better choice.  
View Quote

I think the producers wanted a real actor. Sorry, Matt Damon seems a little more fruity to me.
View Quote

That and he's kinda ruined his reputation for being choosy about movie roles when he signed on for "Stuck on You".

Link Posted: 12/19/2003 10:40:41 PM EDT
[#45]
I'll definatly go see it. The book was pretty good.

Jude law......I've seen his work. He should be able to pull it off, but you never can tell.

Though if Clint Eastwood was 30 years younger I'd say grab him and start shooting. Inman reminded me of the Man with No Name so much during the book and I wouldn't be suprised if Mr. Frazier was a fan of Spaghetti Westerns. The Writing of the gunfights and ever the character seemed to remind me of it often.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 10:42:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Does Nicole gett Naked?
View Quote

In the book they(Law's character and Kidman's character) go at it once near the end. Nothing graphic but you get the idea.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 2:07:51 AM EDT
[#47]
I will eventualy watch it. I loved the book, but I don't think any movie could be as good. What made the book so good was the author's ability to describe detail & you can't describe detail in a movie. I had the same thought after I read "Deliverance" vs. seeing the movie.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:41:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:45:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Cold Mountain is directed by the same guy who did "The English Patient" - that's enough to make me go running for the toilet spewing from both orifices.  Gods that was a HORRIBLE movie.  Trust me, guys, this has "Sappy chick-flick" written all over it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:54:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top