Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2003 11:12:04 AM EDT
 I already know that somewhere here there is a Return of the King topic...and it'll show up two seconds prior to me posting this one.  I am used to it now...and yes I searched first!

Well, most of you Tolkien fans ( including me ) will be very disappointed with this movie just on general purpose.  In my own way, I am too.  However I want to give Peter Jackson a big thumbs up for giving it a hell of a good try.  The film is stunningly beautiful and huge in scope.  Minas Tirith is GORGEOUS...that's what I want for a house.  Speaking of Which...or Witch....the Castle ( Fortress City? ) of the Witch King is also stunning in an Oz sort of way....VERRRY beautiful.

There are a lot of points about the film I don't like...like Sam balling his eyes out every thirteen seconds and the jamming in of Arywen at every possible moment whilst leaving the more important aspects of Eowyn and Faramir out of the picture...the impossible odds battle sequences get tiring, too.  Lucky for the men, hobbits, wizards and elves of middle earth that Sauron wields not only the ugliest army in history but the most grossly negligent and incompetent.  The French could have almost beat them...well....okay, maybe not.
 Nonetheless, it is a very entertaining film if you can forget ever reading the books and even with it's faults the cast does a wonderful job at being the characters as best the could with the time allotted them.  It is worth the price of admission for the scenery alone ( and seeing Galadriel look at you out of the sides of her blue, blue eyes just one last time ) and the wonderful job that everyone that worked on this film did to try to bring the Lord of the Rings to life.

Thumbs Up.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 11:32:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Hadn't seen ROTK yet.

Just wondering. If anyone else has the same habit of associating fictional characters w/ people you know?

Definately Faramir. And my actual older brother...definately Boromir. [:)]

A few others, but cutting to the chase. Desertmoon's description of Galadriel...also covered. [:I]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a Tolkien fan and I wasn't disappointed in the least.  There is virtually nothing about this movie I dislike.  It's quite possibly one of the best movies I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:33:13 AM EDT
[#3]
 Well, though there may be varying views on the film...I think everyone can agree it is a masterpiece compared to the POS that Matrix Revoltinglutions was....I am still torqued about that.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:26:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I just saw it last night.  Way too much [:I]Hobbit Love[:I] going on.

MG
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:52:31 AM EDT
[#5]
It's not possible for any movie to live up to the LOTR books.  I love the movies just for the 'eye candy' value and have read the books at least 4 times.  Your mind is always going to be better than Hollywood.

Just my .02...
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:58:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I never saw the movie.

I never saw a clone topic.

I am only posting as a "tribute" to a fellow "thread killer".

you may proceed, sah

If there does, in fact, turn out to be a clone topic, please let the Best Clone Win.  [:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top