Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2003 4:56:38 PM EDT
NewsMax.com
Wednesday, Dec. 17, 2003

Just because the lefty majority of the U.S. Supreme Court wants to trash the First Amendment and kick those soft-money-addicted Democrats doesn't mean that National Rifle Association will be silenced.

"Instead of trying to buy a domestic radio or cable TV station, the NRA might go gunning for its enemies from outside U.S. borders. Rifleman Wayne LaPierre tells us he may skip the whole controversy by buying or teaming with a Mexican radio station on the U.S. border," reports U.S. News & World Report's Paul Bedard.

LaPierre says: "If I could find a radio station in Mexico with 50,000 watts, I would go with them. Fifty thousand watts would cover over half the country."

He's also considering broadcasting from a ship in international waters, according to Bedard.

"We're going to look at every possibility to not get shut out of the electoral process," LaPierre says.

The Christian Science Monitor reported today that NRA's "latest plan for getting its message across could change the face of US journalism."
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:05:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Why do they think that radio would have more credability than a live streaming video/audio site on the Internet?
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Uhhh.

I dont tihnk 50,000 watts will cover half the country..

I could be wrong, but I dont think so.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#3]
On a clear channel at night, it could easily cover half the continent. However, I'm not sure if there *IS* such a thing as a "clear channel" anymore...
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:07:50 PM EDT
[#4]
as was mentioned, are there any frequencies in the FM (edit to "any band" due to my lack of knowledge) band that aren't used anywhere in the states?
something about broadcasting from a ship in international waters seems bad to me. I think it would backfire and get a lot of bad press. While guns rights groups would like it I think the average American would look down on it after the conventional media made a few "stories" about it
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:56:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
as was mentioned, are there any frequencies in the FM band that aren't used anywhere in the states?
something about broadcasting from a ship in international waters seems bad to me. I think it would backfire and get a lot of bad press. While guns rights groups would like it I think the average American would look down on it after the conventional media made a few "stories" about it
View Quote

Hell, piss on the media.

The fact that the major Dems are getting donations from foreign countries and the media is practically silent about it is more than enough reason to go outside the borders and broadcast in.

You KNOW the Dems are getting that money and using it in their campaigns.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:04:27 PM EDT
[#6]
"This is Radio Free America, and it's one day closer to freedom. John has a long moustache."

Maybe we can listen to clandestine broadcasts under the covers.

Yeah, a Canadian or Bahamas-based streaming media web site would seem to be the way to go.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Didn't the NRA claim it would defy the law if it came down to it even if it meant going to jail?  Seems like I read that in one of my 1st Freedom magazines when all this first started.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Mexico would seem the way to go.

50KW with a well designed antenna array could hit a good chunk of the US at night.  They could do it and stay well within Mexican and international brodcasting laws.

The "pirate ship" idea is on shaky ground.  Almost all broadcasting is covered by international law.  Just because you're outside the territoral limit of the US doesn't mean that you can't be busted for it.

Add to this the fact that spectrum in the US is pretty well maxed out means that SOMEONE is going to get stepped on.  That means angry listeners, station owners and the FCC getting involved.

Still, I hope they follow through.  The SCOTUS ruling was a steaming pile of dogshit.  I'll be happy to chip in a few bucks if the NRA finds its balls and does this.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
as was mentioned, are there any frequencies in the FM band that aren't used anywhere in the states?
View Quote

The FM broadcast band is inherently short-range (under 200 miles). However, the AM band "opens up" at night, with a range of several thousand miles not being unusual. During the Depression, stations sprouted up along the Mexican border that took advantage of this range, some of which you could hear as far north as Canada.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:37:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Good, I hope they do.
Seems a shame though, having to go outside of America's borders to express free speech.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:44:26 PM EDT
[#11]
The chair is against the wall.

Once again, the chair is against the wall.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:44:33 PM EDT
[#12]
shows how much I know about radio [:)]
I do remember my mom talking about when she was a teen and there was someone in school with her with one of those 6 foot long whip antennas on his car (I think it was a jeep) and they could get stations from all over

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

The FM broadcast band is inherently short-range (under 200 miles). However, the AM band "opens up" at night, with a range of several thousand miles not being unusual. During the Depression, stations sprouted up along the Mexican border that took advantage of this range, some of which you could hear as far north as Canada.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:49:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Why do they think that radio would have more credability than a live streaming video/audio site on the Internet?
View Quote

1. not everyone has a computer

2. not everyone has a high speed connection, and some don't even have a low speed connection

3. real brick & mortar places still seem more credible to many
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:07:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Any of you guys familiar with WLW - "The Big One"  700 AM out of Cincinnati?  They broadcast at 50,000 and can be heard throughout a huge portion of the United States at night. So 50,000 watts sound correct for major coverage.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:14:23 PM EDT
[#15]
XEROK in Ciudad Juarez, Chih. Runs 150,000 watts.  Cover pretty much half the US.  800 KC.  Big, big signal.  There are others in Mexico running more than that power. Not much in the way of laws in Mexico that aren't governed by mordida.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:49:13 PM EDT
[#16]
John has a large mustache
John has a large mustache
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 9:14:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The chair is against the wall.

Once again, the chair is against the wall.
View Quote

Damn you, beat me to it
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 9:31:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm on a Mexican radio...
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#19]
And I thought someone would have mentioned Wolfman Jack by now - he started on a station just over the border.  boy was that a blowtorch of a station - Everyone knew who the Wolfman was and were to listen.

Now whether the NRA can find some personality that will get people listening is another thing.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 11:03:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I often pick up a radio station from Arkansas here in the Detroit. Yeah if they can get a station in southern Canada and one in Mexico could easy cover the country with a 50,000 watt station.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 12:15:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Hey, 50,000 W may cover half the US on a good night.

But if they want to really do this. I would suggest something with a little more horse power.

Who the hell wants to rely on whether and a good night for a radio station.

Dont forget about someone buying legal air time in the US on the same channel. Hell, that would block out the NRA radio all together.

All they need is a high powered station on the far reaches of western Mexico and eastern Mexico.

And perhaps one smack dab in the southern boarder of Canada.

That would triangulate the USA. Only states that would have a problem may be Washington and Maine.

Make them all on different channels, and depending on your state you tune into the best sounding one.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:55:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Dont forget about someone buying legal air time in the US on the same channel. Hell, that would block out the NRA radio all together.
View Quote

They would have to buy a station of similar power, on the same frequency, to have much effect. Ideally, it would also have to be located in the same part of the country, in order to have roughly the same coverage area.

As I understand it, the FCC has reserved several frequencies in the US for "clear channel" stations, with the rest being shared by hundreds of local-only stations. (Most of these local stations also have to reduce their power and change antenna patterns at night, in order to prevent their signals from exceeding the local coverage area.)

Thus, a station located in Mexico would seem to have two choices: Broadcast on a clear channel (thereby pissing off a few large broadcasters here in the states) or broadcast on a channel traditionally reserved for local stations (thereby pissing off hundreds of mom-and-pop stations here in the states). That's where buying an existing station (on an existing channel) would be advantageous: No new toes get stepped on.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 8:44:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Now whether the NRA can find some personality that will get people listening is another thing.
View Quote

What's Alan Keyes doing these days?
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 9:23:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm on a Mexican radio...
View Quote

I feel a hot wind on my shoulder
And the touch of a world that is older
I turn the switch and check the number
I leave it on when in bed I slumber
I hear the rhythms of the music
I buy the product and never use it
I hear the talking of the DJ
Can't understand--just what does he say?
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 9:32:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Great, now they're outsourcing DJ jobs to Mexico. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 10:23:04 AM EDT
[#26]
South of the border
In Tijuana
Eating barbeqed iguana

Link Posted: 12/18/2003 10:33:07 AM EDT
[#27]
These  guys are crazy first off diplomatic relations would force Mexico to shut off such radio interference. after all they are our bitches! Second The US don't reallly respect International Law. There were 'pirate' radio stations offshore in international waters. oh well guess we cant touch em right? WRONG! they just get the coast guard to haul you in anyway they don't care. There are several stories about them doing this check'em out.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 1:15:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Technically, it's not "interference" if it's coming from an existing radio station on an existing frequency (assuming the station hadn't been been "interfering" prior to being acquired by the NRA).

There is some informal coordination of frequencies between countries, by virtue of the fact that no new station on either side of the border wants to pick a channel that's already occupied by another station that might cause interference.

Mexico has a long history of "outlaw" radio stations, and I doubt that they would want to turn down the kind of cash that the NRA could swing. South of the border, money still talks, "diplomatic relations" notwithstanding.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#29]
What’s the point?

The only people that are going to listen to “NRA radio” are already members of the choir.

I don’t know how they’re going to do, but the NRA needs to be educating those in this country who are waffling on the Second Amendment, not those who already believe in it.

Sounds like a waste of money to me!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:58:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What's the point?

The only people that are going to listen to "NRA radio" are already members of the choir.

I don't know how they're going to do, but the NRA needs to be educating those in this country who are waffling on the Second Amendment, not those who already believe in it.

View Quote

Excellent point , we should be trying for a takeover of NBC !
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:25:29 AM EDT
[#31]
what they should do is fuck the law, advertise in the USA, and then when asshole cops come to take them away for it, shoot them
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:19:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
what they should do is fuck the law, advertise in the USA, and then when asshole cops come to take them away for it, shoot them
View Quote

Dammed right!!!   [^]

Here we have Americans, planning to operate a radio station OUTSIDE the country, to broadcast PROHIBITED ideas,,,,,,,

And YOU all, are talking about it like it's no big deal!!!  [ROFL2]

Most of you all, will NEVER wake up!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top