Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2003 1:05:03 PM EDT
I keep a shotgun and rifle at work but I realized that I definetly need a pistol on me at all times. Anyways My friend showed me his taurus .38 and said he would sell it to me real cheap. It shot great and everything but I noticed if you had live shells in it and you when to extract them but didn't push the ejector rod all the way up the rounds would fall under the extractor and mess everything up?

Not a real big problem it works and everything, but does this mean its a POS?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:09:18 PM EDT
[#1]
It might be alright for a 100$ plinker...but I wood look for a real gun.....I haad a Taurus once,shoot it six times.....check all the screws in the sideplate....then shoot again....
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I know I sold my 1911 thats a real pistol if you ask me.

I will buy another one its just things are tight right now.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:14:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Nah, its common on short barreled revolvers. I dont much like taurus, but I have little experience with them. Just tip the barrel up so gravity helps and make sure you dont short stroke the ejector.

I reccomend Ruger for a cheap gun. Not autos, mind you, but their revolvers are very nice.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:34:46 PM EDT
[#4]
There are a lot better cheap weapons you can get that you could depend on to save your life. Don't take chances.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:39:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There are a lot better cheap weapons you can get that you could depend on to save your life. Don't take chances.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:40:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Smith & Wesson dosn't cost that much more. Don't get cheep when it comes to firearms to protect your life.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#7]
S&W’s do the exact same thing.

It’s less of an issue with empty rounds since the weight of the bullets in live rounds cause them to want to fall back into the chambers.  Still it definitely can happen with empties.  

The solution, as already mentioned, is tipping the muzzle up so that the rounds won’t tend to fall back into the chambers.

An expensive gun is generally better than a cheap one, but a cheap one is definitely better than nothing.  If the Taurus is all you can afford and if it appears to work OK, I’d go ahead and get it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:00:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nah, its common on short barreled revolvers. I dont much like taurus, but I have little experience with them. Just tip the barrel up so gravity helps and make sure you dont short stroke the ejector.

I reccomend Ruger for a cheap gun. Not autos, mind you, but their revolvers are very nice.
View Quote

And what is wrong with the P-series????
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:18:50 PM EDT
[#9]
To answer your question...

I've had several Taurus revolvers over the years and they have all been fine revolvers.

I wouldn't hesitate to trust one.  Get it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:03:19 PM EDT
[#10]
The advice above is correct.

Its inportant to have the muzzle pointing up to help gravity clear the cases and to keep crud from falling under the ejector star.

To reload a DA revolver (assuming your right handed)

RH thumb pushes cylinder latch

LH first two fingers push cylinder open fingers follow through frame

RH releases grip (and reaches for clip/speedloader)revolver rotates around LH fingers muzzle to sky

LH thumb punches (hard!) ejector rod cases fall

LH grasps cylinder (still through frame) rotates muzzle down

RH reloads cylinder and drops speedloader

LH closes cylinder while RH returns to grip

As for the Taurus their quality seems to be hit or miss. I got a bad one but lots of other people are perfectly happy with them.

Go here for detailed checkout instructions---
http://www.thehighroad.org./showthread.php?s=&threadid=1430

If you want to completely eliminate the chance of rims hopping the star moonclips are the only way to go. They also give you very fast reloads without the bulk of speedloaders.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:15:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Get a used Smith and Wesson. There is no place in the first world where Taurus weapons are issued and I don't think anyone uses Taurus guns in competition. I guess their must be a reason for that.
 Get someone who has an FFL to order you a Model 10 Smith from KY Imports. Even if it's a few bucks more it is money well spent. Here's something from their page:

Model 65 4" Barrel, Stainless Steel, 6-Shot.
(Very Good Condition).357 Magnum $219.99

Add $10 for choice selection.

Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:22:46 PM EDT
[#12]
There are two different Taurus revolvers!

Back in the 70's and 80's they made TOTAL POS's and I mean TOTAL!

Then somewhere along the line the Beretta deal came along and they ended up with a state of the art factory. The quality went up considerably at that point but make DAMN SURE you dont get one of their older guns!
Or take the advice already given and sit on your money until a cheap S&W  comes along.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top