User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
But, judging by some folks' penchant for making every imaginable right a fundamental one, I suppose that it is a real possibility that y'all think buying dildoes was just the sort of right that the Founding Fathers pledged their lives, fortunes, and sacred honors!
View Quote

The same could be said of automobiles or food processors.

Sorry, that argument is extremely weak.
View Quote

So you think there's a Constuitutional right to own food processors?  Talk about weak.

(Edited to add:  Of course, the right to travel has long been considered a fundamantal right, and there's the matter of interstate commerce, so cars aren't necessarily the same as food processors or sex toys.)
View Quote

First, this is exactly an interstate commerce issue, as the company is based in San Fran.

Second, there is a right to travel freely among the states, but the mode of transportation is not a right.

Third, I must have missed where the Feds are involved, as many have stated that the Feds should not have become involved, as if they have.  Where was that noted?

I don't think this case is a state's right issue, as it interferes with interstate commerce.

Gee, look what George Wallace did under the banner of "state's rights".  I suppose that Kali and it's gun laws that are in violation of the Second Amendment is a state's rights issue too, huh.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 10:31:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
But, judging by some folks' penchant for making every imaginable right a fundamental one, I suppose that it is a real possibility that y'all think buying dildoes was just the sort of right that the Founding Fathers pledged their lives, fortunes, and sacred honors!
View Quote

The same could be said of automobiles or food processors.

Sorry, that argument is extremely weak.
View Quote

So you think there's a Constuitutional right to own food processors?  Talk about weak.

(Edited to add:  Of course, the right to travel has long been considered a fundamantal right, and there's the matter of interstate commerce, so cars aren't necessarily the same as food processors or sex toys.)
View Quote

First, this is exactly an interstate commerce issue, as the company is based in San Fran.
View Quote

No, its a police power issue.  Interstate commerce is involved only incidentally and not in a Constitutionally significant manner.

Second, there is a right to travel freely among the states, but the mode of transportation is not a right.
View Quote

I suspect that the Supreme Court would disagree where you're talking about the standard mode of transportation.

Third, I must have missed where the Feds are involved, as many have stated that the Feds should not have become involved, as if they have.  Where was that noted?
View Quote

The obvious attack on the Texas law would be that the Texas law is unconstitutional under the Supreme Court's Lawrence v. Texas (gay sex) opinion and/or the Supreme Court's "privacy" jurisprudence generally.

I don't think this case is a state's right issue, as it interferes with interstate commerce.
View Quote

Looks like someone doesn't understand the commerce clause.

I'll give you a hint:  It ain't me.  

First, the commerce clause gives the Feds the right to regulate interstate commerce.  It doesn't give a California dildo manufacturer a COnstitutional right to engage in interstate commerce.

The so-called "dormant commerce clause" also prevents the states from using that regularory power.  But the commerce clause doesn't prevent a state from exercising its police powers within its own borders.  As long as Texas doesn't try to prevent the Kali dildo vendor from doing business in other states or treat its own TExas dildos more favorably than Kali dildos, there's not going to be a dormant commerce clause violation.

Gee, look what George Wallace did under the banner of "state's rights".  I suppose that Kali and it's gun laws that are in violation of the Second Amendment is a state's rights issue too, huh.
View Quote

The answer is "maybe."  Whether the Second Amendment applies to the states is an open question.  Prior to the enactment of the 14th Amendment, it pretty clearly did not.  The First Amendment didn't either.

Some years after the 14th Amendment was adopted, the Supreme Court invented the "incorporation doctrine," which holds that due process clause of the 14th Amendment incorporates some, but not all, of the first 10 amendments and makes them applicable to the states.  For instance, the First Amendment now applies to the states, but the 7th Amendment right to a jury trial in civil cases involving more than $20 does not.

After the passage of the 14th Amendment, but before the Supreme Court's discovery/invention of the incorporation doctrine, the Court reiterated its prior position that the Second Amendment doesn't apply to the states.  The Supreme Curt has not revisited the issue since.

So, unless the Supreme Court decides that the Second Amendment applies to the states, then yes, Kali's stupid gun laws are a "states rights" issue.

Link Posted: 12/17/2003 1:09:20 PM EDT
[#3]
These asshats??

The Cleburne Police Department is commanded by Chief Terry D. Powell.  We have the largest work force in the City of Cleburne, consisting of 47 commissioned officers and 16 non-civil service personnel.  The Police Department is divided into two Divisions; Patrol Criminal Investigations.  
mailto:[email protected]

http://www.ci.cleburne.tx.us/police/index.htm

>>city manager  [email protected]

and prolly mayor@....

Link Posted: 12/17/2003 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#4]
What a great sting operation!

"SLOWLY TURN OFF THE VIBRATOR AND PLACE ON THE FLOOR. LAY FACE DOWN WITH YOUR LEGS SPREAD WIDE."

Whoever busted her shoulad have a few of her products shoved up his ass and go get a life. This is a sure sign that Department has too many people working for them when they go looking for "crimes" like this. What a bunch of bullshit.

And Eric, I think you are right. These laws need to be repealed, not just simply skirted around by "novelty only"
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top