Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2003 4:40:35 AM EDT
Just what the topic says ... I'm new to AR15's and the board here.  Looking for a place to start learning .. books, websites, sections of this website, etc.

I've read enough to decide I want to build my own.  That way I know the ins and outs of the gun.  I'm pretty handy with tools, so it shouldn't be a problem with a good set of instructions.  I've already ordered up an Eagle Arms stripped lower from Quantico Arms.  I have a friend with an FFL doing the transfer, so if the first one goes well, I'm feeling a second coming shortly after it.  :)

Anyway, I'm looking for answers to a few questions about parts kits.  I'm already looking at J&T and Model1 for kits to finish the gun.  But there are a few things they don't tell me.  What's the difference between an A2, and A3, and a flattop upper?  What are the differences between the various handgrips on the barrel (A2, A3, CAR, M4, etc.)?

I'm looking forward to learning about these guns and plinking alot of shells.  I already have a friend of my dad's willing to split a case of shells with me.  :)

-Jonathan
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:01:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the board! Sounds like you have a great start. You should get a lot of good information on your questions.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:18:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Welcome aboard Johnathan!

First thing yer gonna do, is make sure you're in Albany this coming weekend for the meet at B&Js. [;)]

If you can make it, check the Hometown forums - NY/NJ heading.

You've come to the right place - you'll find all your answers to your questions - and answers to questions you never thought you had.

To make it quick for some of you questions, the designations between the A2 - fixed 'carry handle' A3 - Flattop.

Handguards - A2 - are a little thinner than A4's. CAR handguards are for 'carbines' and normally have the A2 profile (thinner), standard A2's are for full size rifles. M4 handguards are for the CAR style carbines as well.

As for your upper, theres a bevy of dealers selling kits - take a look in the Upper's portion of the AR 'Community' up near the top of the screen.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:46:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I remember being in these exact shoes lo so many, many moons ago - standing in my kitchen with a lower receiver in hand and a freshly opened cardboard box from J&T sitting at my feet...

The old board was quite different then, but only in the sense that there were a hell of lot fewer AR variants around to choose from.  Good luck on dealing with what very well might turn into a long-term addiction.

The first thing to know is that the General Discussion forum is the last place to go for good information.  In order to accomplish what you want to do go [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/board.html?b=3]here[/url].

Also, the Maryland AR-15 shooter's sight is awesome!  (you can just do a google on that to find it) – just do a lot of reading between here and there and everything will turn out OK.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:53:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Jon, welcome.
You got your foot in the right direction, there's some good people here to help you along.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:56:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Welcome aboard, son! [:)]

If you haven't already, be sure to read the Ammo FAQ & the Magazine FAQ.  I had been shooting ARs for years before stumbling across this place & I still found a wealth of good information there that was new to me.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:12:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Welcome to the site!

There is a GREAT book by Walt Kuleck and Clint McKee called [b]The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide[/b].  I just picked one up at a recent gun show and found the book contained a lot of great information for me even after having already built several lowers.  The lower receiver build instructions on this site are what I've used up to this point and they are VERY good.  

Good advice so far on reading about ammo and magazines.  Stay away from non-USGI mags.  Learn how to maintain/clean the rifle and lern how to shoot it before going crazy with accessories.

You thinking about adding optics at some point?  If so, I strongly recommend you go with a flattop.  If you get the flattop, skip the removable carry handle and get a good BUIS (Back Up Iron Sight) for less money.  Actually, I recommend the flattop regardless of what you think you want right now.  At some point you WILL want some kind of optic.  Well, most of us do anyway.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:14:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Where to start? You just did!
If you can handle "information overload"...everything you wanted to know all at the same time, you have found a home!
Welcome, we were waiting for you! [beer]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:32:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Welcome aboard!!!  And welcome to "the addiction"!!!  You'll find that it takes no time at all for AR's to mulitply. Start out simple and shoot a lot for a while, then build another,,,,   and another,,,,   and another,,,,

By all means, you have found the best place!
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, guys.

I won't be able to make it to Albany this weekend.  Driving home to Pittsburgh for the holidays.

Still waiting to hear if Quantico Arms got my friend's FFL.  I'm anxious for my receiver to ship.  [:)]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:07:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I would reinforce what bookhound said about USGI mags. If you see the phrase "USA mags", Run, Forrest, Run! As a noob I was too dumb to do a search in the mag forum, and ended up with 2 $20 paperweights.(Alright, stop jeering you guys!)
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:14:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Welcome aboard! You may regret it, but in a good way. No matter what type of rifle you build, you will want one of every type soon.

Spend some time in the "Build it yourself" forum. Great info there.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:38:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:46:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Welcome.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top