Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/16/2003 3:47:35 AM EDT
I don't go to public ranges often, but I keep hearing stories about people complaining about ARs with muzzle brakes. Hell, at gunstock I had an 11.5 on each side of me and one in my hands, and I wasn't bothered. Put a broken AR10A4C on one side and an M4 on the other side of me, and the noise isn't a problem.

I don't get it, are most people that sensitive?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:53:51 AM EDT
Thats weird...any complaints regarding 50 cals or blackpowder rifles?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:56:47 AM EDT
I haven't been present for the discharge of a .50, so I cant comment there, but black poweder isnt so loud, it just carries a long way. My neighbor shoots muzzle loaders and it sounds like he on my porch. I shot his guns and they were fairly quiet.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:59:47 AM EDT
[i]Are people at the ranges wusses or what? [/i] Yes, mostly.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:05:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/16/2003 5:40:20 AM EDT by StariVojnik]
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack: I haven't been present for the discharge of a .50, so I cant comment there, but black poweder isnt so loud, it just carries a long way. My neighbor shoots muzzle loaders and it sounds like he on my porch. I shot his guns and they were fairly quiet.
View Quote
The 50 is very loud, not to mention the wind gust you'd feel if you were sitting next to it. Usually on a firing line, when a 50 goes off, heads turn to see... [:)] The blackpowders rifles can be loud and they produce alot of smoke and I have heard some people bitch about the smoke...just wondering. here's a Blaser .50 cal bolt action. check out the muzzle break..heh heh.. [img]http://www.nyguns.org/ar15shoot/Sept-29/DSC00549.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:10:36 AM EDT
I have more trouble with magnum revolvers than anything. Those hit me pretty hard. The funniest thing of all, my own weapons noise bothers me the least when Im in a firing line, and my concentration is better too.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:12:30 AM EDT
try wearing ear protection and stfu
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:25:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Cleatus: try wearing ear protection and stfu
View Quote
Umm,[rolleyes] if you were not paying attention, I'm complaining about the people who can't handle the noise. And yes, I wear earplugs.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:38:39 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
Originally Posted By Cleatus: try wearing ear protection and stfu
View Quote
Umm,[rolleyes] if you were not paying attention, I'm complaining about the people who can't handle the noise. And yes, I wear earplugs.
View Quote
I wear them, and the earphones as well, at the same time. I think what happens at ranges is that people are annoyed and afraid of other types of guns, different from their own. I always offer to let people try a few shots with whatever I have. I usually have had no trouble with other shooters and my guns, but much of that is due to showing a good attitude. It does help to be courteous and not gruff towards others when at the range, and others respond in kind. It also helps to clean up one's mess. I use a brass catcher on mine- wish others would-ESPECIALLY rimfire shooters- nothing dumber than having to wade through piles of little brass shells. Too lazy to pick 'em up, plinkers?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:39:08 AM EDT
I was on a tactical hangun course once and asked the inst. if I could run a drill with the rest of the class just shooting downrange, like in a wild gunfight. It was really no problem. Its the waiting for that "one shot" from the guy on the next lane that gets me sometimes. Like the chinese water torture, you never know when its coming.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:54:45 AM EDT
Originally Posted By StariVojnik: The 50 is very loud, not to mention the wind gust you'd feel if you were sitting next to it. Usually on a firing line, when a 50 goes off, heads turn to see... [:)] The blackpowders rifles can be loud and they produce alot of smoke and I have heard some people bitch about the smoke...just wondering. here's a Blaser .50 cal bolt action. check out the muzzle break..heh heh.. [url]http://www.nyguns.org/ar15shoot/Sept-29/DSC00512.JPG[/url]
View Quote
Oh-Oh, get ready to catch hell for using Bullet's picture with no permission. [}:D]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:05:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/16/2003 5:06:39 AM EDT by fizassist]
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack: I don't go to public ranges often, but I keep hearing stories about people complaining about ARs with muzzle brakes. Hell, at gunstock I had an 11.5 on each side of me and one in my hands, and I wasn't bothered. Put a broken AR10A4C on one side and an M4 on the other side of me, and the noise isn't a problem. I don't get it, are most people that sensitive?
View Quote
I think people with muzzle brakes on an AR are wusses. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:06:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/16/2003 5:07:30 AM EDT by mjohn3006]
I have fun with it. Got my Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag, and some Remington UMC ammo, don't know why, but the UMC is the loudest 44 mag, but it does not have a lot of kick. Anyway, go to the range, get next to some people that have no clue, are renting cause they don't own, are laughing like crazy about how cool it is....the weekend warrior type. wait till they are not paying attention....and BOOM!!!! jump in the air, shit themselves and timmidly ask me, "what is that?" The best was when a guy was in there with his girlfriend. I actually think I helped. the bang bang bang of his 9mm was making her jump. I scared the bejesus out of her with the 44. she did not mind the 9mm after that[:d]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:08:30 AM EDT
Originally Posted By mjohn3006: Anyway, go to the range, get next to some people that have no clue, are renting cause they don't own, are laughing like crazy about how cool it is....the weekend warrior type. wait till they are not paying attention....and BOOM!!!! jump in the air, shit themselves and timmidly ask me, "what is that?"
View Quote
And we wonder why people are afraid of guns.... [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:09:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By fizassist:
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack: I don't go to public ranges often, but I keep hearing stories about people complaining about ARs with muzzle brakes. Hell, at gunstock I had an 11.5 on each side of me and one in my hands, and I wasn't bothered. Put a broken AR10A4C on one side and an M4 on the other side of me, and the noise isn't a problem. I don't get it, are most people that sensitive?
View Quote
View Quote
Agreed.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:11:48 AM EDT
Originally Posted By fizassist: I think people with muzzle brakes on an AR are wusses. [;)]
View Quote
Now this is funny. I also agree. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:12:30 AM EDT
Originally Posted By mjohn3006: Anyway, go to the range, get next to some people that have no clue, are renting cause they don't own, are laughing like crazy about how cool it is....the weekend warrior type. wait till they are not paying attention....and BOOM!!!! jump in the air, shit themselves and timmidly ask me, "what is that?"
View Quote
And we wonder why people are afraid of guns.... [rolleyes]
View Quote
Never had a bad responce. sometimes those type of people work up the balls to ask if they can shoot it, or at least hint for an offer. I usually oblige, to get them into it. The girl started shooting the 9mm and was getting into it, but did not want to shoot the 44. I have probably sold a couple noobs on getting there first gun.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:23:16 AM EDT
The only one that really even remotley bothers me is my dad Browning A-bolt. .338 with the BOSS muzzle brake. People definatley scoot down a few tables when he is shooting that. It doesn't really bother me when I'm shooting it because I know when ts going to go off, but the antisipation of waiting for my dad to shoot it is what gets me the most I think.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:24:54 AM EDT
The only problem Ive ever had at my range is a guy who said "Geeze, my ARs arent that loud." I must be lucky [:D]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:35:36 AM EDT
I don't think one needs a muzzle brake on an AR15 however, the post-bans just don't look right to me without something on the end of them.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:42:00 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BookHound:
Originally Posted By fizassist: I think people with muzzle brakes on an AR are wusses. [;)]
View Quote
Now this is funny. I also agree. [:D]
View Quote
[rolleyes]Guess that makes ME a wuss then,cause my Colt came from the factory with a compensator attached.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:47:11 AM EDT
Originally Posted By dangerousdan: I don't think one needs a muzzle brake on an AR15 however, the post-bans just don't look right to me without something on the end of them.
View Quote
hmmm, I'm not terribly concerned with looks personally. I'm about to build what will probably be one of the UGLIEST rifles around, but it will FUNCTION exacly how I want it to.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:50:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By norman74:
Originally Posted By dangerousdan: I don't think one needs a muzzle brake on an AR15 however, the post-bans just don't look right to me without something on the end of them.
View Quote
hmmm, I'm not terribly concerned with looks personally. I'm about to build what will probably be one of the UGLIEST rifles around, but it will FUNCTION exacly how I want it to.
View Quote
You have to start and "ugly gun" thread when its done.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:54:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:55:17 AM EDT
Depends on the range you go to and what's being shot. I'll tell you that .357 and above, or especially comped .45s or even short 9mms are not fun to shoot next to on an indoor range. It's actually a combination of the pressure and some noise that gets you. But you gotta play through it. These are probably people that won't go to the range unless they're feeling 100% either. I go when I have headache, minor stomach ache (don't want to drag the stuff into the can with me ; ) ), any time I can, because bad guys don't wait for you to be feeling well to break into your house, etc. If you're outdoor, yeah they're wusses. But hey, different strokes for different folks. The indoor range I go to, geez, with the exception of some Joe Gangbanger wannabees or Tactical Toms with Full-Auto trigger fingers, nobody complains. You just do it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:56:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By osprey21: [i]Are people at the ranges wusses or what? [/i] Yes, mostly.
View Quote
No, just people in general.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:57:00 AM EDT
View Quote
I do agree with you on the "looks" aspect. Another thing to consider it protecting the crown. A muzzle brake or fake FS will at least protect the crown.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:57:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/16/2003 6:00:53 AM EDT by StariVojnik]
Originally Posted By bear3351:
Originally Posted By StariVojnik: The 50 is very loud, not to mention the wind gust you'd feel if you were sitting next to it. Usually on a firing line, when a 50 goes off, heads turn to see... [:)] The blackpowders rifles can be loud and they produce alot of smoke and I have heard some people bitch about the smoke...just wondering. here's a Blaser .50 cal bolt action. check out the muzzle break..heh heh.. [url]http://www.nyguns.org/ar15shoot/Sept-29/DSC00512.JPG[/url]
View Quote
Oh-Oh, get ready to catch hell for using Bullet's picture with no permission. [}:D]
View Quote
Your right, Bullet will rag me all day next time were at the range...ha! Better make the change quick....I got a nice picture of you and your daughter on the firing line. Care for a link to the picture via email? [}:D]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:02:25 AM EDT
Many people are selfish, and expect consideration to be given to them, and not give any themselves. These guys believe the range is theirs, and theirs alone. I don't like shooting beside braked rifles, taking an empty to the face, or enduring a muzzleloader fog, but that comes with the territory. I think you'll find these guys to be chronic malcontents anyway. The same folks that 'voice' this concern, are the same ones that will sell your type of shooting out to the antigun politicans. Part of their justification is that there will be less of us on 'their' range...
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:02:48 AM EDT
View Quote
View Quote
Wouldn't know-- all the AR-15's I've ever owned had flash suppressors. [}:D] Mike
Top Top