Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/15/2003 5:58:50 PM EDT
I have heard shooting described as a martial art, and I would have to agree with that categorization. What other martial art is effective to over 1000 yards? Is it the ultimate martial art?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:09:09 PM EDT
Yup... [url=www.gunkatta.com/home.htm]Gunkatta[/url]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:09:36 PM EDT
Shooting is the only martial art where skill, concentration, and mindset are all you need. A 95 lb female can compete with a 225 lb big guy and be on equal terms. Hapkido includes firearms training for that reason. Ops
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:21:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/15/2003 6:22:11 PM EDT by SGTIMAK]
Originally Posted By NYPatriot: Yup... [url=www.gunkatta.com/home.htm]Gunkatta[/url]
View Quote
Equilibrium is an awesome movie. There is "teppo jutsu" - art of the rifle IIRC. I don't know if this is considered a martial art. It is, coincidentally, it is the home of the .458 SOCOM; like you guys didn't know. Free plug, Marty [url]www.teppojutsu.com[/url]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:57:13 PM EDT
Yup! I like to call it: "the way of the gun" Ghost
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:59:15 PM EDT
Your Gun Fu is weak grasshopper.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:18:34 PM EDT
It is definitely a necessary study for any practical martial art. It is not, IMHO, sufficient. It does not build stamina and good movement in the same way, and you are in trouble if the gun is the only weapon you know how to use. Your mind and body are your most important weapons; you can never drop them or leave them at home. You should certainly be good with a gun, but you should have options if one is not available.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:34:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By fizassist: Your mind and body are your most important weapons; you can never drop them or leave them at home.
View Quote
Well, yeah. If I found myself at a gunfight and realized that I had left my mind and body back at the house or somewhere on the road behind me, I'd either bow out gracefully, or resign myself to the fact that I was well and truly fucked.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:43:07 PM EDT
"Anyone who brings a closed fist and a hard kick to a gun fight is an idiot" - me [;)] The mind is apart of the rifle to be sure. I get into a very deep meditiation when target shooting. Very Zen-like in the control of the mind, body, and weapon to bring the bullet onto the target. After a day of shooting I feel like I've spent the time in meditation. Hauling 70 pound steel targets and humping a 12 pound rifle back and forth 400 yards though the desert might not be exersize but it sure wears my old ass out!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:46:03 PM EDT
Originally Posted By FLAL1A:
Originally Posted By fizassist: Your mind and body are your most important weapons; you can never drop them or leave them at home.
View Quote
Well, yeah. If I found myself at a gunfight and realized that I had left my mind and body back at the house or somewhere on the road behind me, I'd either bow out gracefully, or resign myself to the fact that I was well and truly fucked.
View Quote
So if my mind and body are back at home, I wouldn't be in a gunfight, would I? Unless it was at home, of course... But then my mind and body would be at home at the gunfight, so I would be one with the universe and all things would be one and only one, with my mind and body at home, in my lazyboy, at the gun fight.... and with chips and dip... at home, with my mind and body as one, at the gunfight...
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:34:55 PM EDT
Anybody that wouldn't consider shooting to be a martial art either doesn't know the definition of "martial", or is an idiot.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:58:48 PM EDT
Just saw Equilibrium again tonight. Very cool movie. i had a real fun time teaching my Japanese roommate how to pronounce 'Equilibrium'
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:05:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:29:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/15/2003 10:34:35 PM EDT by fizassist]
Originally Posted By Paul: "Anyone who brings a closed fist and a hard kick to a gun fight is an idiot" - me [;)]
View Quote
Yep. I would [b]so[/b] much rather shoot an attacker than go through all that messy hand-to-hand stuff. Similarly, I would rather just smash someone's head into the ground than start trading punches. A comprehensive martial arts training tells you how to deal with the less-than-ideal situations. Anyone can punch someone else in the head. [red]Good martial arts training teaches you how to get past his knife, deal with your broken arm, and use his body for cover while you maneuver to punch him in the head.[/red]
The mind is apart of the rifle to be sure. I get into a very deep meditiation when target shooting. Very Zen-like in the control of the mind, body, and weapon to bring the bullet onto the target. After a day of shooting I feel like I've spent the time in meditation. Hauling 70 pound steel targets and humping a 12 pound rifle back and forth 400 yards though the desert might not be exersize but it sure wears my old ass out!
View Quote
Yep, it's hard to argue; this kind of shooting is very good for the body & mind. That, in and of itself, however, does not prepare one to move with and against an attacker as necessary. Certainly, mental clarity and strength are very important, but those alone do not prepare you to deal with an enemy after the total failure of technology (your firearm, for example). At that point, all you have is [i]you[/i]. Nothing, not even that kick-ass flying double roundhouse backhand karate chop you've been practicing for 10 years, is guaranteed. Good martial arts training teaches you what to do when Murphy's Law kicks in. You never count on a given technique; you just keep moving until your adversary stops. [blue]Anyone knows how to push the button that starts a nuclear reactor, but it takes years of training to handle the situation if things go wrong, no matter how well one knows how to push a button.[/blue]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:31:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By az-ar: Just saw Equilibrium again tonight. Very cool movie. i had a real fun time teaching my Japanese roommate how to pronounce 'Equilibrium'
View Quote
Hah! That one is better than "rural!" Really! [:D]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:45:59 AM EDT
I have run into a few instructors (each in a different field of martial arts) that have firearms training for their older students. I always thought that it was kind of cool, even back before I was into owning guns.
Top Top