Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/15/2003 5:49:18 PM EDT
Charleston Gazette Story

Enola Gay protesters disrupt Air and Space Museum opening

By DERRILL HOLLY
Associated Press Writer

CHANTILLY, Va. (AP) -- A small group of protesters briefly disrupted the official opening of the National Air and Space Museum's new annex at Dulles International Airport Monday, spilling a red liquid supposed to resemble blood near the Enola Gay exhibit and throwing an object that dented the airplane.

Two men were arrested after security broke up the demonstration. Thomas K. Siemer, 73, of Columbus, Ohio, was charged with felony destruction of property and loitering, while Gregory Wright of Hagerstown, Md., faced a misdemeanor loitering charge.

Several elderly atomic bomb survivors from Japan also expressed dismay that information on the effects of the bomb dropped by the Enola Gay on Hiroshima Aug. 6, 1945, was not included in the exhibit.

"If they want to show these planes, that's fine but we can't help but also demand that they show the damage and the stories that take place behind these weapons,'' said Terumi Tanaka, 71, a survivor of the Nagasaki atomic bomb attack which occurred three days after Hiroshima.

A total of 230,000 people were killed in the two attacks. Japan surrendered unconditionally six days after the Nagasaki bombing.

Some visitors at the opening of the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center said, however, they considered the Enola Gay an important part of aviation history.

"The Hiroshima bomb started the whole nuclear age, that's why I wanted to see it,'' said Philip Wheaton, 78, of Takoma Park, Md.

The Enola Gay is one of 82 racers, gliders, helicopters, warplanes and airliners currently on display in the Smithsonian Institution's nearly 294,000-square-foot aviation exhibit hanger. Other notable exhibits include the S-R 71 Blackbird, an American spy plane that still holds the record as the fastest plane ever built; and the space shuttle Enterprise, which was used by NASA to test various concepts during the development of reusable spacecraft.

The Smithsonian's aerospace collection also will eventually be displayed in the 53,000 square foot James S. McDonnell Space hanger.

"This is the largest air and space exhibition complex in the world,'' said retired Gen. John R. Dailey, director of the museum. "We have about 40 percent of the aircraft in here today, and over the next three years we'll be moving more in.''

Visitors, for the most part, said they were impressed with the new annex.

"Seeing all of these aircraft fully assembled is getting to see history,'' said Ray Kimball, 30, of Menloe Park, Calif. The Army helicopter pilot toured the facility with his three year-old son. "I'll have to bring him back when he's older.''

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:58:04 PM EDT
Geez, some people are worthless. The EG is a legend quickly attaining mythical status. When the last flying B29 crashes, EG will be tiny number of intact aircraft. Wonder if the ugly bags of mostly water who damaged the plane would run out onto the ramp at an active AFB and trying to whack a B52 or B2. Wonder if the ugly bag would get ventilated halfway to his target. Wonder if it would be worth the effort for the ugly bag. I desperately wish they would [:D]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:10:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/15/2003 6:12:27 PM EDT by Airwolf]
Enola Gay and Bock's Car are responsible for only a fraction of the destruction in Japan. Most people don’t know or don’t want to know about the cities that were literally reduced to ash through the use of incendiaries. In one raid alone 15 square miles of Tokyo was destroyed with 100,000 killed and 100,000 wounded. More proof to me that these people aren’t interested in facts, substance or outcomes. Only symbolism and feelings matter to them.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:11:20 PM EDT
Where is Bull Conner & his police dogs when we need him???? [}:D]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:14:18 PM EDT
[size=6][b]REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR![/size=6][/b]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:22:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Zaphod: [size=6][b]REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR![/size=6][/b]
View Quote
0.0 CEP! The simple fucks forget that the Japanese started the Pacific war and didn't cry uncle until after we showed them the new age. CW
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:24:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DzlBenz: "If they want to show these planes, that's fine but we can't help but also demand that they show the damage and the stories that take place behind these weapons,'' said Terumi Tanaka, 71, a survivor of the Nagasaki atomic bomb attack which occurred three days after Hiroshima.
View Quote
View Quote
I think Terumi Tanaka should take the "Grand Tour" of asia and the south pacific and ask some of those people what the Japanise Army ( in the name of ALL that is Japanise )did to them![furious]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:25:04 PM EDT
What Zaphod said, to the nth power.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:26:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Zaphod: [size=6][b]REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR![/size=6][/b]
View Quote
You are exactly right! Bombing Japan was exactly the [b]right[/b] thing to do.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:27:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BobCole: Where is Bull Conner & his police dogs when we need him???? [}:D]
View Quote
Yeah. I can't say much for the way they were used in the 60s, but there's a time and a place for everything and maybe this would be the right time. BTW, a couple of fire hoses ought to be added to this.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:27:42 PM EDT
I honestly hope we never need to use nukes again. However, since my father was on a submarine in the Sea of Japan at the end of WWII, I personally feel grateful that nuclear weapons were used to shorten the war and reduce American casualties.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:30:35 PM EDT
Yup, the plane is part of history. We are the only country to ever use nukes in war...and Japan is the only country to ever receive them in war....
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:31:23 PM EDT
Most of these mindless turds have no idea of how many lives were saved. These lives were saved on both sides. Our liberal news channels tell us one or two US service men died in Iraq each day. Don't get me wrong, I wish all of our guys and gals live. D-Day and the possible invasion of Japan would have been very expensive in human lives. Think of CNN every 1/2 hour reporting 1,000 lives lost during D-Day. To me, these people [US News Service] are committing treason.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:31:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DoubleFeed: ugly bags of mostly water
View Quote
off-topic, but is this an intentional star-trek quote? The difference between the firebombing raids (the "burning of Japan") and the nukes, is, well, the two planes dropped the only two nukes EVER dropped/fired/used in war. THAT sets them apart. But, I'll agree, most people who want the "damage" shown doesn't care about actually showing the damage done to Japan, or they'd care just as greatly about the firebombings.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:41:16 PM EDT
One thing that many don't realize is how many people it saved AFTER the war. If the two bombs had not been dropped, it is very likely that the Cold War would have been hot, and would have included nukes since nobody truly knew the horror of these weapons. The Russians were very fearful of the US just after WWII because of the bomb (they didn't realize that we had used the only two we had at the time).
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:52:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Kaliburz: We are the only country to ever use nukes in war...and Japan is the only country to ever receive them in war....
View Quote
And the reason that is still true is BECAUSE we used them...
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:58:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/15/2003 7:13:37 PM EDT by eodtech2000]
It is funny these dipshits fail to note that far more Japanese were killed by Incendiary bombings. One of the Incendiary raids I think it was on Tokyo, made Dresden and Hamburg look like a campfire!!! Take these Japanese who complain, to Nanking, China but oh I forgot[;D], the Japanese don't teach that part of their history! [sleep] Let me refresh these dipshits memory, Nanking anyone! How about Live Bayonet Training!!! [img]http://www.fatherryan.org/holocaust/holocaust77/rape16.jpg[/img] What's a little sword practice!!! [img]http://www.fatherryan.org/holocaust/holocaust77/rape21.jpg[/img] What's a little plunder!!! [img]http://www.fatherryan.org/holocaust/holocaust77/rape23.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:58:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/15/2003 7:00:33 PM EDT by Winston_Wolf]
"... spilling a red liquid supposed to resemble blood near the Enola Gay exhibit [red]and throwing an object that dented the airplane."[/red]
View Quote
... For that reason alone; if I witnessed the act, I would be spending the night in a Virginia jail. I would have kicked the fucker's ass right then and there. [:(!]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:27:04 PM EDT
Am I missing something here. You start a fight and you get your ass kicked. Then you whine when the guy that kicked your 9 iron ass has a beer and tells his buds. WTF?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:30:16 PM EDT
[size=4][b]How about Wake Island, where the Japanese kept 98 US soldiers who were engineers because they weren't smart enough to built fortifications with their own infantry. Once they were finished with the US prisoners, they took them to a beach where they were to be "freed" and mowed them down with machine guns. All this because the island was a coouple days away from being taken back by the US and to make sure that the POW's were never freed.[/size=4][/b]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:36:05 PM EDT
"If they want to show these planes, that's fine but we can't help but also demand that they show the damage and the stories that take place behind these weapons,'' said Terumi Tanaka, 71, a survivor of the Nagasaki atomic bomb attack which occurred three days after Hiroshima.
View Quote
Yeah, how about my great uncle and the damage that was done to him behind [i]your[/i] fucking weapons you piece of shit. Never a flame thrower around when you need it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:37:21 PM EDT
I mean, Enola Gay and Bock's Car may be the symbols of the [i]start[/i] of the nuclear age, but, God willing, they will also serve as eternal memorials to the [i]end[/i] of nuclear war - forever. Furthermore, the Japs were warned explicitly of the pending atomic attack, and they called our bluff - twice! They got what was coming to them, and should be thanking Buddha (or whatever) every day that they've even got a Japan to call home anymore.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:34:03 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DoubleFeed: ugly bags of mostly water
View Quote
Originally Posted By FanoftheBlackRifle: off-topic, but is this an intentional star-trek quote?
View Quote
Yes [:D]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:39:02 AM EDT
The Japanese have no apologies for their conduct during the war in China, or WW2. And neither do we.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:59:26 AM EDT
Once a Japanese politician made a comment about American products being inferior because they were made by "lazy American workers". Shortly thereafter, I saw a tee-shirt with a picture of a mushroom cloud and the words, "Made by lazy American workers, tested in Japan."
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:24:38 AM EDT
In a response to accusations of Japanese atrocities during the war, one official described the situation as "unclear". Unclear! How's that for unmitigated gall? I believe I heard this on Limbaugh's show. It was something to the effect that dropping the bomb on Japan did two good things. It ended the war and we won. O'l "Toshiro" forgot the cardinal rule of a fight. When you go out to kick ass you have to bring your own ass with you. Now he's whining because his ass glows in the dark.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:28:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Old_Painless: Once a Japanese politician made a comment about American products being inferior because they were made by "lazy American workers". Shortly thereafter, I saw a tee-shirt with a picture of a mushroom cloud and the words, "Made by lazy American workers, tested in Japan."
View Quote
The funny thing is, US workers still lead the world in productivity per man hour.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:43:58 AM EDT
I've been to the bomb museum in Nagasaki twice and it was a sobering visit. Neither I, obviously an American, nor my obviously American were ever treated rudely or even received a dirty look from the Japanese patrons there. It makes me wonder just what Mr. Tanaka's agenda is.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:52:12 AM EDT
>>>Several elderly atomic bomb survivors from Japan also expressed dismay that information on the effects of the bomb dropped by the Enola Gay on Hiroshima Aug. 6, 1945, was not included in the exhibit.<<<< The only effect the bomb had that mattered was that it brought the war to a swift end. Any other effects are the responsibility of the Japaneese government. Jay
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:37:54 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Samstead: One thing that many don't realize is how many people it saved AFTER the war. If the two bombs had not been dropped, it is very likely that the Cold War would have been hot, and would have included nukes since nobody truly knew the horror of these weapons. The Russians were very fearful of the US just after WWII because of the bomb (they didn't realize that we had used the only two we had at the time).
View Quote
This may be one of the most important points brought up in this thread so far. Korea and such could have been hot, and we could all be microorganisms fermenting in a hot geyser on the floor of the Pacific under 1000 ft of ice.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:41:07 AM EDT
I think we should roll the old girls out and fly them over Tokyo at about 400' every December 7th.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:47:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot: [size=4][b]How about Wake Island, where the Japanese kept 98 US soldiers who were engineers because they weren't smart enough to built fortifications with their own infantry. Once they were finished with the US prisoners, they took them to a beach where they were to be "freed" and mowed them down with machine guns. All this because the island was a coouple days away from being taken back by the US and to make sure that the POW's were never freed.[/size=4][/b]
View Quote
I think those 98 weren't even soldiers, rather, civilian contractors - IIRC.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:57:21 AM EDT
Thomas K. Siemer, 73, of Columbus, Ohio, was charged with felony destruction of property and loitering
View Quote
I am ashamed to be living in the same city as this POS.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:57:59 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Winston_Wolf:
"... spilling a red liquid supposed to resemble blood near the Enola Gay exhibit [red]and throwing an object that dented the airplane."[/red]
View Quote
... For that reason alone; if I witnessed the act, I would be spending the night in a Virginia jail. I would have kicked the fucker's ass right then and there. [:(!]
View Quote
And I would be sharing your jail cell W-W.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:58:00 AM EDT
Originally Posted By the:
Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot: [size=4][b]How about Wake Island, where the Japanese kept 98 US soldiers who were engineers because they weren't smart enough to built fortifications with their own infantry. Once they were finished with the US prisoners, they took them to a beach where they were to be "freed" and mowed them down with machine guns. All this because the island was a coouple days away from being taken back by the US and to make sure that the POW's were never freed.[/size=4][/b]
View Quote
I think those 98 weren't even soldiers, rather, civilian contractors - IIRC.
View Quote
You are correct.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:05:37 AM EDT
There is a lot of Japanese culture and history that I respect and even admire. But there's a lot that's really foul, too. Their concept of what to do with prisoners, particularly non-Japanese prisoners, is not something that you or I would think is the thing to do unless you were a psycho. Allied POW's in Germany were rarely if ever abused and were generally well treated, given the circumstances. Allies POW's in Japanese hands were OFTEN tortured and/or executed and were NEVER given the sort of reasonable accomodations and treatment that are expected in all of the west. When it comes to Japanese culture throughout history, underneath that thin veneer of civilization lies a murderous and cruel heart. I'm not sure that much has really changed, either. I'd still like to visit Japan, though. CJ
Top Top