Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2003 10:23:30 AM EDT
www.smartmoney.com/aheadofthecurve/index.cfm?story=20031212

I like the ideas, but what is this about "not being able to do worse than the current system"? If there is a downturn in the markets and the privatized accounts loose all their money, the program will be in even worse shape than before. I figure, I need to make millions and secure my own future. I'm almost certain that I will never see a dime of social security even though I paid through the nose to support it. However, I am glad Bush has a plan to fix social security rather than charging it to our great-great-grandchildrens credit cards.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:57:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Same boat here. I'll never see a dime of SS money.

Privatize!

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow, it would be really nice if this whole thing was enacted. Another step in the long, painful process of de-Rooseveltization.

Or, of course, we could do nothing and just let the system collapse on its own. In fact, this might be a good thing; as such a spectacular collapse would put an end to the whole welfare-state idea in America once and for all. Kind of like prohibition failed so miserably that no one would dare propose Alcohol prohibition ever again (although they still think drug prohibition will work, but that’s another topic [:\] ).
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:25:19 PM EDT
[#3]
What about all the money that I put in? Give me back my money THEN you can let it collapse. I had to contribute to a retirement fund at gunpoint and  now it is being robbed like an enron fund. I know that the system is broken but scrapping the whole thing will screw a whole bunch of people.

My concern is the part about how if people choose to privatize and do poorly, the government will subsidize them. Essentially, if the economy does well, the program will succeed. If the economy does poorly, the government will be in worse shape than before. I don't like that, but it is a step in the right direction. I don't have the answer, and I am glad someone has an idea. I really really hope it works.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:30:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Same boat here. I'll never see a dime of SS money.

Privatize!

View Quote

funny you say that I had a democrap tell me that I wasn't smart enough to manage my own money and the government needed to do it.

don't think I could do worse than the gov.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:37:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Bush's plan to save social security . . . is apparently to give it to Mexicans.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:02:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Why can't we just "opt out" and use my own money how I see fit?

Roosevelt was such an asshole
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:14:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I figure my money is going to my parents, at least that's how I keep from getting really pissed about SS.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 3:24:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I figure my money is going to my parents, at least that's how I keep from getting really pissed about SS.
View Quote

ha, my family's getting doubly fucked

dad paid in for 25 years then died right as all of his kids were too old to get a penny of it

why can't you opt out and manage your own money? because then there wouldn't be any to give out. never mind that thou shall not steal shit, if the government robs me, i'm going to steal from my neighbor to get it back.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:54:43 PM EDT
[#9]
There is no way a private system can do worse than the government run system.  Over the course of my workin life I will pay more into the system than I will get out, and that doesn't even count interest!

GunLvr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top