Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2003 9:06:01 AM EDT
When nothing really bad happens, just like things aren't really bad but you still feel kinda down and out?

I don't know maybe I will feel better when I get done with finals. Its just I don't really care about things I use to?

maybe its the weather or time of the year.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:16:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, the worst is when I wake up on a Sunday morning and realize I didn't when the 100 million dollar Powerball Jackpot. I hate when that happens....
--RR
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:32:38 AM EDT
[#2]

Yeah we all have those days...seems like mine has been more than just a day though....things like...finding out your fellow employee makes as much as you do, but he does not have the same  qualifiactions (no education) and screws up jobs that you end up fixing becuase he has a substance abuse issue.....or applying with a local PD and after the polygraph, testing, etc...finding out that there is a hiring freeze until next Oct......and they are are the only one you can afford to work for with a wife, 2 kids, and needing sponsorship through the academy....this list continues...but I always have to remind myself when things seem really crappy......HEY, AT LEAST I'M NOT GOING IN FOR RADIATION OR CHEMO TODAY....then things just don't seem as bad.....perspective .....nothing but perspective.

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:38:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yeah we all have those days...seems like mine has been more than just a day though....things like...finding out your fellow employee makes as much as you do, but he does not have the same  qualifiactions (no education) and screws up jobs that you end up fixing becuase he has a substance abuse issue.....or applying with a local PD and after the polygraph, testing, etc...finding out that there is a hiring freeze until next Oct......and they are are the only one you can afford to work for with a wife, 2 kids, and needing sponsorship through the academy....this list continues...but I always have to remind myself when things seem really crappy......HEY, AT LEAST I'M NOT GOING IN FOR RADIATION OR CHEMO TODAY....then things just don't seem as bad.....perspective .....nothing but perspective.

View Quote

Amen.  Life is all about your attitude and perspective.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:48:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got the holiday blues.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:54:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Yup, it happens to me too. Just a month or so ago I had some guns for sale so I could buy some other guns. No one, I mean, no one would even make me a stinkin' offer. I started feeling really blue. Then I got an offer or two and sold them and bought/traded for new ones. I feel better now. Nothing makes me feel better like buying a new gun. Guess it's all the research on loading ammo, getting stuff together for it, shooting it for the first time. It takes my mind off my problems. Am I a gun junkie???
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:01:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yup, it happens to me too. Just a month or so ago I had some guns for sale so I could buy some other guns. No one, I mean, no one would even make me a stinkin' offer. I started feeling really blue. Then I got an offer or two and sold them and bought/traded for new ones. I feel better now. Nothing makes me feel better like buying a new gun. Guess it's all the research on loading ammo, getting stuff together for it, shooting it for the first time. It takes my mind off my problems. Am I a gun junkie???
View Quote

Me too! Me too!

Try to enjoy friends and family over the holidays, finals will be over before you know it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:02:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Yup, right there with you. I'm "underemployed" and have been for quite some time. I keep getting blown off as "overqualified" for the readily-available jobs (those that bother to tell me anything at all) and I'm underqualified for the better-paying ones (since all my work experience is in I.T. - same as the other 40,000 out-of-work geeks around here). What I *have* been able to get has slowed down the monthly financial bleeding to a few hundred a month but it's spotty work at best and I'm still losing cash. We're barely keeping up, much less turning enough of a profit to think about starting a family.

Yeah, I have my down moments.

But, like others have said, it's a matter of perspective. I'm young(ish), I'm healthy, I've got a great - and working - wife who loves me no matter what, I've got a house, health insurance, cash in savings, fantastic credit, intelligence, determination, a sense of humor....

Let it wash over you but keep it in perspective. Maybe you can use it to do a little introspection/soul-searching. Stuff like that gets easily forgotten when things are busy and/or good. Take advantage and make your current funk something useful. Maybe it's time to care about *new* things.

"Accumulate learning by study, understand what you learn by questioning."

Or some shit like that. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#8]
... Get in the gym
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:02:02 PM EDT
[#9]
yep...right about now.  As I anticipate the increase in my health insurance premium next month that will make it unnafordable, and the fact that I have $212 to buy Christmas presents with, AND feed myself 'til the 15th of January. My house payment is due today, but I can't pay it, so I'll get a late fee (although it's not technically late to the 30th)...I get water in the basement every time it rains these days...the list goes on, but if I spell it all out, I'll be even more depressed lol.  Oh, did I mention the IRS?  There here to put the boot in as well.  

I might even have to start selling GUNS to get some cash!

Yessir, looks like I'll be drinkin' Christmas dinner alone again!  (I can't take credit for that...Johny Carson once asked Mac Davis the saddest song he ever wrote, and that's what he answered hehehe).  

But I'm thankful for what I DO have, no question.  I know it could be worse, but I can tell you, I've only been "poor" for about 6 months now...I can see how it could really grind on you after a while.  

After the 1st of the year, I'm gonna have to seriously assess where I'm at...I may have to sell the damn house...which has been a part of my life for over 42 of my 51 years.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:20:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
... Get in the gym
View Quote

Sage advice.  I's amazing what a little exercise will do for your attitude.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top