Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2003 8:40:56 AM EDT
I didn't know she was still alive. Too bad.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,105759,00.html

VATICAN CITY  — During a Christmas benefit concert at the Vatican (search), Grammy-winning singer Lauryn Hill (search) launched into an unscheduled tirade against priests who abuse children, according to news reports Sunday.

Hill read a statement criticizing the church and its leaders during the Saturday night concert, where she was a featured performer.

Several Italian newspapers on Sunday ran translations of the statement, which was delivered in English. They quoted her as saying there was "no acceptable explanation for defending the church."

"I realize some of you may be offended by what I'm saying, but what do you say to the families who were betrayed by the people in whom they believed?" La Repubblica newspaper quoted her as saying.

There was no immediate response Sunday to calls seeking comment from Hill's label, New York-based Columbia Records (search).

Prelates in the audience included Cardinal Camillo Ruini (search), the pope's vicar for Rome and the head of the Italian bishops' conference, and his deputy, Monsignor Rino Fisichella. The pope did not attend. The Vatican said Sunday it had no comment.

Hill, a former member of the rap trio the Fugees, set a record for female artists in 1999 when she won five Grammy awards for "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill."

So Miss I don't care if white people listen to my music thinks she is on high enough moral ground to scold the Vatican eh?Why do all these minor celebrities think they are intellecuals? This is really annoying. Shoo fly.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:42:23 AM EDT
[#1]
[img]http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0895261014.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:43:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Didn't know she was Catholic.

She hates whites, catholics and is a hero to the democrats.
My kind of lady.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:58:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
[url]http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0895261014.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Have you read it??

Any good?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:59:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Another "artist" who needs a big swig!!!!!!
[img]http://speedo.ca/albums/sweet/aef.thumb.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:04:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
Have you read it??
Any good?
View Quote
Spent some time perusing it in the bookstore. Pretty good rant against elitism especially on the left (but also some on the right - "moderates"). Easy reading like Nugent's GGRR.

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:14:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I didn't read her whole statement, cause it may have crossed the line, and should not haev been said at that concert, but on some points I agree with her... the Church did move priests around who were guilty of, ya know... that's no front page news.

Catholics I talk to, my girlfriend included, keep trying to justify it by, "It's just a certain # of individuals, the Church is not to blame."

I say BS... top Church officials knew, and instead of getting rid of these priests they KNEW were against everything the Church should stand for, they tried to cover it up and just move them around to maintain the purity of the Church or what have you.

I'm not anti-Catholic, I have a lot of respect for their religion, it is my g/f's and probably will be my children's, but d*mn, Catholics just need to fess up that the Chruch isn't all pure and they screwed up big time.

My .02
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:48:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
top Church officials knew, and instead of getting rid of these priests they KNEW were against everything the Church should stand for, they tried to cover it up and just move them around to maintain the purity of the Church or what have you...
View Quote
And those leaders who were clearly shown to have known and covered up those crimes are out - like Cardinal Bernard Law. Many priests have also been removed from their positions.

Quoted:
Catholics just need to fess up that the Chruch isn't all pure and they screwed up big time.
View Quote
We are. In fact, yesterday's homily at church was a 20minute video presentation entitled "Zero Tolerance" from our Archbishop all about the Church's efforts to find, stop and hold responsible those in the Church at all levels of authority who engage in sexual misconduct as well as a brief primer for little kids on what to do if someone ever tries to touch them inappropriately.

The Church takes this very seriously. It is NOT business as usual in the Catholic Church today.

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:53:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We are. In fact, yesterday's homily at church was a 20minute video presentation entitled "Zero Tolerance" from our Archbishop all about the Church's efforts to find, stop and hold responsible those in the Church at all levels of authority who engage in sexual misconduct as well as a brief primer for little kids on what to do if someone ever tries to touch them inappropriately.

The Church takes this very seriously. It is NOT business as usual in the Catholic Church today.
View Quote

Thank you for that post, I am glad to hear it.  I guess it's just the Catholic company I keep around here who have not admitted it.  Glad to hear the world at large is.  I keep hearing from those around here that, "It was just a few individuals..." or "The Church had nothing to do with it."
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Amen, brother! [pissed]

I have no words I can used to describe this fu....

Let me shut up before I get banned. There is a racial epithet I save specifically for people like her, but I'm afraid it won't be welcomed here... [furious]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:56:01 AM EDT
[#10]
It's a good thing we have Lauryn Hill to straighten this mess out for us. I'm sure the Pope will apologize to her personally.[rolleyes]

Has she written a song yet herself that was popular? She re-did Killing me softly and then married Bob Marley's son. That's all I know about her except how much she hates white people and evidently the Catholic church. She's making a pathetic attempt to get back on the public radar. Wrong way to do it beotch.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:57:54 AM EDT
[#11]
REALM:

It's called "having class". Something the blankety-blank blanking scum-sucking blanking cunt blanking whore blankety-blank fucking blank blanking blank doesn't seem to have a blanking clue of...

You DON'T go into a house where you've been invited and SHIT ON THE RUG IN THE MIDDLE OF A PARTY!

This bitch needs to get the Sinead O'Connor treatment! [pissed]

Edited to add: She's a hip-hop singer. Color me stunned. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:12:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
REALM:

It's called "having class". Something the blankety-blank blanking scum-sucking blanking cunt blanking whore blankety-blank fucking blank blanking blank doesn't seem to have a blanking clue of...

You DON'T go into a house where you've been invited and SHIT ON THE RUG IN THE MIDDLE OF A PARTY!
View Quote

I totally agree, read the first sentence of my first post...
"I didn't read her whole statement, cause it may have crossed the line, [b]and should not haev been said at that concert[/b], but on some points I agree with her"
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:15:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
REALM:

View Quote

I totally agree, read the first sentence of my first post...
"I didn't read her whole statement, cause it may have crossed the line, [b]and should not haev been said at that concert[/b], but on some points I agree with her"
View Quote

Fair enough. It wasn't meant as a flame, certainly not at you. Her stunt just has me seeing red...
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:58:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Here I go, in something I swore I would leave alone here...

Sylvan & 2IDDoc, where is this 'hates White people'  coming from? I 'used' to listen to her, and I never heard that before.

Zaphod, 'racial epithet'? Nothing stopping you [b]but[/b] you just spoke volumes about yourself and your character.

As for Ms L Boogie, she is phucked in the head. I took a gf to see her last summer, AT&T Summer nights on the pier. $140 for 2. She came out with some bs acoustic Tracy Chapman impression. Stopped in the middle of the song crying, forgetting words and shit. PostPartum and some other trauma bs.

Lauryn, you need to deal with your own issues before you go talking about shit we all know. Besides, the parents have some culpability too. Everyone knows it happens over & over, people keep trusting them and not even one priest has paid the rightful price [b]yet[/b].
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:06:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sylvan & 2IDDoc, where is this 'hates White people'  coming from? I 'used' to listen to her, and I never heard that before.

View Quote

She was quoted as saying "i don't want white people listening to my music" or something to that effect.  Can't for the life of me remember where I read it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
... Lauryn Hill (search) launched into an unscheduled tirade against priests who abuse children, ...
View Quote

Give me the opportunity and I’ll launch into the same tirade!!!  [pissed]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Zaphod, 'racial epithet'? Nothing stopping you [b]but[/b] you just spoke volumes about yourself and your character.
View Quote

Don't be too quick to judge, my friend. I reserve its use for very, VERY few people who ACT a certain way.

She qualifies.

Believe me, it takes a LOT for me to utter it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:39:08 PM EDT
[#18]
A beautiful woman with an incredible singing voice, but I must agree with the general sentiment in this thread, her behavior was completely without class.  The "classy" thing to do would be to thank the Vatican for their invitation, but reply that until the Catholic Church radically reforms its behavior regarding the sexual abuse of children by its priests, she cannot in good concience perform there.  It would have gotten the message across without abusing the hospitality of her host.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:43:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

She was quoted as saying "i don't want white people listening to my music" or something to that effect.  Can't for the life of me remember where I read it.
View Quote

Considering her other political statements and feelings of how the blacks are being held back by "the man" I find the quote easily believable.
According to Snopes, it is an urban legend.  But Snopes has her own agenda, too.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:06:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Don't be too quick to judge, my friend. I reserve its use for very, VERY few people who ACT a certain way.

She qualifies.

Believe me, it takes a LOT for me to utter it.
View Quote

So is this a Robin Hood defense? I only steal from the rich? I only call certain people racial names?

You justify your actions any way you wish, if it works for you fine. I dont judge you because I have no heaven or hell to put you in. I stand by my original statement, it speaks volumes about your character, to me. I dont use racial terms for people, and I have distinct opinions about those who do.

Quoted:
Considering her other political statements and feelings of how the blacks are being held back by "the man" I find the quote easily believable.
According to Snopes, it is an urban legend. But Snopes has her own agenda, too
View Quote

And these 'other statements' are now more allegations, with no supporting evidence, in fact evidence to the contrary. Im sure Snopes is a part of the Left wing conspiracy to keep the man down too. [;)]

Dont get me wrong, I dont care for her, I dont like 'stars' using a bully pulpit, and I further agree with Nimrod about the 'classy' thing to do. However I think mud being slung like this, 'anti white' this and 'racial epithet' that, either needs supported or omitted. Lets call it another lesson in 'classy'. [;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top