Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2003 7:19:20 AM EDT
My collection is growing....can't seem to stop..
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:28:30 AM EDT
[#1]
We used to have a bunch of snakes when I was younger.

Had a california king snake. She grew to over 6 feet long. She was a very happy snake.

Had a smooth green snake, garters, ribbon snakes, we caught a black racer, had ticks, so we got rid of it.

We also had all kind of lizards, efts, newts.

Ahhhh, being a kid was fun.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:30:23 AM EDT
[#2]
No, but I'm seriously thinking about getting an Iguana soon. Those things are so cool and look like they'd be a lot of fun. Anybody have any info/insight? I'm a little ignorant I'll admit. I assume they eat vegetables and insects (crickets and what not). Also does anybody know how much I can expect to pay for a nice young healthy one and how long they are expected to live? Obviously I should do some research but it doesn't hurt to ask the experts here first [:D]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:31:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Bill Clinton reportedly loved a reptile once.

But I STILL say it was actually Web Hubbel.

[:D]

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:32:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I rescued a Box Turtle from the middle of the road a few years back. He has a small crack on his shell so I kept him for about a year so he could heal up. I named him Bud. He was a really cool pet. He loved to eat those big fishing worms like you get at Wal-Mart and raw chicken. I took him down to my cousins farm and let him go after his shell healed, I really liked that little guy.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:39:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Every once in a while (not so much nowadays) we'd find a snake and keep it for a few weeks, feeding it crickets and stuff.  We've found a tiny green snake (this thing wasn't much bigger than a large earthworm), a small ringneck (about twice as big, still very small), many garter snakes, a milk snake, and a few others.  We used to have anoles (my little sisters loved playing with them), but after a while they began dying.  One died because of an obstruction in its intestines.

My mom paid something like $85 for a baby bearded dragon.  They grow to be about as big as an iguana, but this one was only about four inches long including its tail.  It was really cute, and fun to watch and hold.  But just a few weeks after buying it, it died. We should have gotten a warranty with the thing.

One time, when we were at the cincinnati zoo, there was this brick wall with dozens of lizards darting in and out.  We caught one and put it in an empty water bottle and brought it home.  It was really colorful and cool-looking.  It lived for a month or so, but then, if I remember correctly, it got out of the cage and we found its corpse later (it was really fast).

We also found a lizard that there are lots of in the woods of centeral Indiana.  They look similar to bearded dragons.  We cought a few and kept them for a while and after a few months let them go.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:45:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I love fried frog legs and gator tail. Does that count?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:58:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No, but I'm seriously thinking about getting an Iguana soon. Those things are so cool and look like they'd be a lot of fun. Anybody have any info/insight? I'm a little ignorant I'll admit. I assume they eat vegetables and insects (crickets and what not). Also does anybody know how much I can expect to pay for a nice young healthy one and how long they are expected to live? Obviously I should do some research but it doesn't hurt to ask the experts here first [:D]
View Quote

Ig's eat a combo diet of Spinach, carrot tops, fruit and canned dog food. They live 20 years and cost about $30-40 for a 1.5 foot baby. They're tropical therefore require heat to digest anything. No heat = dead Iguana. I STRONGLY urge you to buy "The Idiots Guide to Iguanas". I could go on and on.

My three Pakistani Leopard Gecko's say hello.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:41:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Iguanas can be a pain....literally. I had one that tail-whipped me all the time. Also they get larger than people have cage room for.
Recomendation....either a bearded dragon...leopard geckos...blue-tongued skink or a uromastyx(spiny-tailed lizards). I currently have one bearded drago, 2 veiled chameleons and three leopard geckos. I have two leopard eggs that may be babies next month.
The chameleons are the challenge right now...I am working on a home-built cage for them.
If anyone is thinking about buying reptiles....save money and don't buy from a chain pet store. Find a local show and go and talk to the vendors there. Kingsnake.com is great for all kinds of info.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:51:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Also, besides heat they need UV light(special bulb that you can buy) to convert food into calcium for their bones. I had to get a UV light for Bud(my box turtle)to keep him healthy. Hot Rocks(the kind you plug in) work good as a heat source or you can get a heat lamp.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:55:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Where the hell are the dicks that think rep keepers are weird?????
[size=1]1 Ball Python and 1 Dumeril's Boa. Used to have a Savanna Monitor, badass lizard![/size=1]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:30:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Simple recipe.....light and heat...food....habitat.
The tough part is the variables--desert or tropical? crickets or collard greens?

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 11:12:23 AM EDT
[#12]
not me, but I've had a few chicks who really loved my "python"

TXL
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 11:15:05 AM EDT
[#13]
not me, but I've had a few chicks who really loved my "python"

TXL
View Quote

I don't get it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#14]
He's talking about the grub worm with attached magnifying glass so that he can find it when he goes to the rest room.....
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:35:44 PM EDT
[#15]
as many times as you have grabbed it while at dinner, you ought to know better than lie on the internet.

Shame on you.

TXL
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#16]
as many times as you have grabbed it while at dinner, you ought to know better than lie on the internet.

Shame on you.

TXL
View Quote

[b][size=6]DOH!!!!!![/b][/size=6] I should've planned the setup better!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Perhaps that is why I am certain of the mythical largeness of the grub.....don't try to play in my yard....boy....I think I hijacked my own thread....
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Lotboy loves to pet his lizard.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Where the hell are the dicks that think rep keepers are weird?????
View Quote

Sorry it took so long for me to show up, I do not want to start a big pissing match guys, but reptiles are not pet material.

It's my opinion, that's all. The are incapable of affection, or any thought process other than those of reaction and instinct. I mean who has played fetch with their python lately.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:31:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Hello cyanide...notice I didn't say pets?
I have nice little brightly colored things that do amusing things for me to look at. Kind of like fish......I pet the cat.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:59:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hello cyanide...notice I didn't say pets?
I have nice little brightly colored things that do amusing things for me to look at. Kind of like fish......I pet the cat.
View Quote

Point taken.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top