Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2003 12:24:09 PM EDT
Watching the news today and seeing all the citizens of Iraq out in the streets shooting off their full auto AK's makes me stop and wonder, should we envy the freedom that they have to own such weapons? We sent our troops to Iraq to "free" the people there. Now that their free are we going to mess it up for them like we had our freedom messed up? Here in America, the land of the free, we can't even own a full auto firearm unless we pay a high tax and jump thru a butt load of hoops. In Iraq everyone and his brother has a full auto firearm(even little kids were seen with SKS's) and I'll bet they don't have to fill out any paperwork or pay any tax on the guns that they've got. It makes me wonder when someone will come to our aid and free us so we to can own the firearms of our choice without all the government hassel.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe thats the way Tenn is, but here in AZ, we don't have any restrictions if you have the money to pay for them. And the AW ban expires next september so that will get a lot cheeper.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 12:44:23 PM EDT
[#2]
they may have full auto AKs but if memory serves ownership of much else is very restricted
didn't we ban handgun ownership? I remember on the news scenes of confiscation and not from combatants but regular Iraqi citizens
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I envy the fact that THEY have US troops protecting THEIR borders, while Foreign Invaders are SWARMING across OUR Southern border!!...........[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:15:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I lived in AZ for 16 years ArmdLbrl and the same Federal restrictions apply there as they do in any other part of the U.S.  You have to pay a $200 tax, turn in a finger print card and wait for a background check to clear you before you can by a Full Auto machine gun. Two to one says that in Iraq all ya' got to do is come up with the cash and carry your new "toy" home.  Doesn't that burn anyone else up like it does me? Our government, the suppliers of freedom around the world, oppersses it's own citizens where guns are involved. Even thought we've got the 2nd Amend. that's suppose to garentee our Right to own firearms without any restrictions. God that makes me mad. I'll bet the damn Dems are really pissed seeing all those people over there with there Full Auto Assault weapons shooting up into the air(a very stupid thing to do) without any Brady Bill,'94 AWB or '34 NFA to protect all the children,LOL.  I don't see any real reason(except for an overbearing government)why we shouldn't be able to walk into Wal-Mart and pay our money and pick up a full auto AK same as any other gun. I really wish we lived in a free country like Iraq.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:21:40 PM EDT
[#5]
That's true,  Iraquis don't have a fixed supply of FA guns making them prohibitively expensive.

I bet an AK in Iraq doesn't cost 9000 and up.  And yes I DO envy their freedoms.  I am also grateful that we aren't living in a sandy dusty armpit though too. Although the two facts don't have any bearing on each other.

I do think it's shit that Iraquis don't have to put up with the crap we do. It sucks.

Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:25:04 PM EDT
[#6]
It certainly is food for thought...
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:28:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I think very few Iraqis know the cost of freedom, or have any clue regarding protecting it.  They're used to having some crackpot dictator or holy man spoon feed them, and will never use these weapons as tools of democracy.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:36:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Please don't get me wrong with this thread, I do appreciate the fact that we can get all the food that we can eat and we can live in a nice, warm house. We have many luxuries here that they don't but I still think it's a shame that our basic freedoms have been taken from us, slowly, over time to the point where most of us don't even notice it. Kids growing up today will never know about full autos because by the time their old enough to own them they'll be all gone with no new ones being made. It's the same with many of us. I was only 7 years old in '68 when the GCA was passed. As such I'd never know the freedom of being able to buy "mail order(if it wasn't for my C&R lic.) that our dads and granddads knew. Think how strange it'd be to someone from 1920 coming to today. They'd really notice all the firearms freedoms that we've lost while we, having grown up with the loss of freedom, don't even notice what we're missing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top