Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/14/2003 12:18:51 PM EDT
Seeking input from anyone who has tried one of these for at least a couple of months.

I searched the net for reviews, like most things there are many good revoews, pepperred with occasional "This thing broke when I opened the box" reports. Looking for real world experience.

FWIW, it will be used in the car to keep my 2 year old busy until I have taught her to read. It's a the mid-low end of price range, and I've never heard of the brand, but the technical reviews say it has a good picture.

The other contender is an audiovox, same price, but only a 5.4" screen vs the Mintek's 7 or 8 inch screen, depending on the model. Normally, I avoid audiovox based on a snobbery which stems from a crappy boom box they made 20 years ago.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:55:06 PM EDT
I've been using mine that I bought on closeout at Best Buy for over 2 years now. No problems. Looks great on the 51" Hitachi HDTV widescreen!
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 9:01:44 PM EDT
Dont have the portable.... but my Grandmother has the standard model from them, been using it for about a year without issue.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:25:58 AM EDT
I don't have a portable but I have a Mintek DVD player that I bought approx. 2 years ago from Best Buy. I've used it quite a bit and haven't had any problems with it at all. I know one other person that has the same model I do and she's had no problems with her's either. John
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:00:07 AM EDT
I've had a portable for 4 years now. I got warranty at circuit city, I had to use it once because the plastic part that holds the DVD in place broke.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:44:54 AM EDT
I'm not sure about Costco's service plans, but I know that Best Buy has a damn fine suplimentary plan to the Manufac's plans. You pay about $30-$40 for the protection plan for something in the $200-$400 price range, but it's damn worth it. If it breaks for ANY reason, they'll give you a new one off the shelf. It's great to have the peace of mind, especially when you buying a brand you haven't learned to trust yet. I've heard some about the brand you mentioned, but haven't heard anything that stands out, which is probably good.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:23:32 AM EDT
We have one at work. Not that model but the same brand and it sees lots of use and abuse. Works fine.
Top Top