Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/11/2001 10:33:01 PM EDT
I want to start off by saying: I'm not nuts, nor crazy or unstable in any way...
I'm 33 years old, married, and have 4 kids...
I've always enjoyed cars and hunting and guns etc...
BUT, I have no explanation for my recent "GUT" feelings or "GUT" instincts...

For some strange un-known reason I've had this "URGE" to buy military style assault rifles...
Up until about 6 months ago, I had absolutely NO interest in these guns, and actually owned about 6-8 different handguns and hunting rifles/shotguns.
Only recently, I feel it necesarry to trade SEVERAL of them on AR-15's and AK-47's.
I also don't feel comfortable unless I've got a substantial inventory of ammo.
WHY this change all of a sudden in my interest in types of weapons ?
Could there possibly be some higher power influencing my interests, preparing me and my family for SHTF ? Influencing my "GUT" feeling ???

I also, never believed in a SHTF scenario even being possible. So I'm definatly not running around yelling: "The sky is falling"
But lately, I've felt SHTF seems almost possible in my lifetime...  

Anybody think this is odd ?
Am I losing my marbles ?... or just gathering them up ?

Again,...Please, don't think I'm nuts.
I just can't explain why I feel the sudden need to prepare for something I never believed would happen...  

Who else has the "GUT" feeling ???
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 10:37:24 PM EDT
[#1]
No gut feeling here, I just have a weakness for semiautomatic military rifles. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 10:39:33 PM EDT
[#2]
No need to be ashamed.  I have it too.  And I have the rifles I need for whatever, God forbidding.  Leave me alone, and I'll do the same.  Come after me for no justified reason, and I will respond.  Yeah, I've got the feeling too.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 10:41:20 PM EDT
[#3]
These feelings don't coincide with your participation on this board does it?

I'll have to admit though, 6 months ago I also had no interest in ARs, but now I'm eyeing AKs, FALs and others too.

Link Posted: 5/11/2001 10:42:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I just like guns. It just so happens that liking guns and being prepared for the SHTF go hand in hand.

I think it is wise for all people of good character to possess the tools necessary to defend themselves and their country.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 10:44:30 PM EDT
[#5]
For me, its not so much a gut feeling as an addiction.  I'll buy two, three, or four of the same gun. No reason really; just that two is better than one, three is better than two, and four is better than three.

Then again, maybe I AM nuts.

When I started into the gun thing I bought one handgun.  Never thought I'd own more than that one Sig 226.  But then there was Glock 17...and then a MAK90...and so on and so forth until I became a full blown 'gun nut'... and I've never been happier.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 10:44:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I dont think you are far off base, nor nuts...

I call it Demokommienoia (Democrat -Kommunist-Paranoia)....They really do mean well, but cant see the forest for the trees....

Liberty for safety, makes me VERY nervous....

THIS, WE'LL DEFEND....MOLON LABE....
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 11:15:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Finally........someone else who feels the way I do.

For the last couple of years I have had this "gut feeling" as you call it.

I used to call it my "Something is Coming Feeling" but people looked at me funny so I just shut up.  Well, I still have that feeling and i still can't put my finger on it exactly.

I too feel the need to purchase whatever I think is necessary, cost be damned, to fill my inventory requirements.

I dunno....maybe all the chaos the world is in........the failing governments, failing morals, failing families and general aire of contempt and distrust of the governing bodies we once held in much much higher esteem has caused me to have an increased feeling of paranoia.

I am 34 years old, married and I have one child and trying to have others.

I am without a job right now and my wife is going through some sort of strange mood alteration metamorphosis psycho sorta thing that just about caps off the fermenting mass of anger yeast that has slowly been rising within me over the last few years.  I am pushed to an end that is very unattractive and unwanted and one that I fear in a surreal sort of way....

Whats coming?

My Dad says that when you have that feeling you'd better get right with the Lord.

Well, in a eternal sense I am but in a real physical sense I am not sure that I am right with anyone or anything except the thought that compels me to prepare.

Link Posted: 5/11/2001 11:17:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe it is time for me and all my friends to go visit Mother Abigail.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 11:31:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I find it similar to the movie "They Live" with Roddy Piper, where I can see all the evil and horror and loss of freedom, but everyone else just can't see it.  Like I have the special glasses that others don't. (Great movie BTW)

That gut feeling to me is the horror of seeing our freedoms erode and feeling powerless to stop it.  

I have military style weapons because I have thought they were cool since I was a kid.  I'm not preparing for SHTF (except for natural disasters) because I don't think it is coming.  If it hasn't happened yet, esp. here in Kali, it just aint gonna happen.  They are already teaching the kids to hate guns so that when they finally get around to banning them completely nobody will care.  Hell, most people don't care now.  Nor do they care that they pay over half of what they earn to the govt.  Yet when they hear stories of the serfs in old england having to give half their crops to the king they think it an outrage.  That is the true horror.  We have slipped into servitude and nobody gives a damn.

Look, you got me all angry and bitter again. [;)]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 11:40:16 PM EDT
[#10]
X-kill...

"Something is coming feeling"

....That is well said...

That is what my gut seems to be telling me...

Many, many times in my life I've had to make very difficult decisions.

Some of these decisions were not made based on logic, reason or common sense.
They were based on a gut feeling...
My Gut feelings have never failed me...I've ALWAYS been right.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 12:43:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Whenever you feel something at a gut level you should unhesitatingly follow it.  Good for you.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 12:47:58 AM EDT
[#12]
I've been interested in firearms for a little while now but lately, i've been having some suspicions as well. A feeling of sorts, if you will.

I guess we'll see....huh?
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 3:02:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't think you should worry. I have had that "feeling" for almost a year now. I think it comes with the fact of owning a gun. For example: My wife and I used to be able to sleep in our house without ever hearing any noise and now since we have enough guns to do the whole neighborhood, we wake up every other night hearing a pop or a creak. I think the more you get the more you think about instances where your family could be in danger and I think it's perfectly normal for us to want to have protection for any situation....even a SHTF!
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 3:20:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I have purchased more guns and ammo in the last two years than in all the previous years of my life, which spans a half century. Not only that, but I seem to have a need to see all family members and friends well armed. I've started giving weapons and ammo as gifts.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 3:25:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 3:48:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Don't worry,you're not a nut.Just a realist.Why should'nt the USA one day have to face  the toppling of our govt. and the desinigration of our society?It's happened to every Government and it's people throughout time so why should'nt it happen to us somebody?

I personally believe we are looking at a race war some day.The Liberals have brainwashed the minorities into believing all their ills are because of the vast conspirency of the white man to keep them down.

By labeling people as Mexican Americans,Black Americans,Puerto Rican Americans etc etc you are reinforcing in peoples mind that they are different and should stand out.In reality the thing that made America work is that we all came here and blended in,sharing the same values and work ethics.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 4:02:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Try telling yourself, "it's an investment, or, you thought it would improve you shooting skills, etc, etc," Maybe eveyone will buy it!!! I know I do..........NOT!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry your just a more enlightened citizen than most.......Don't worry about it your in good company!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 4:22:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Ten years ago I had a couple sporting firearms and thought it was a nice compact collection.Then I hooked up with an old school friend that I had not seen in years.Before long we started talking guns.He had nothing but military type semiautos.We went to a range to try out his SKS and some of his pistols.It was the most fun I`d had in a long time and I became a convert.I`ve bought nothing but semiautos since.I even gave my brother my old lever action.Keeping 10,000 rds of ammo at home is normal.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 4:29:22 AM EDT
[#19]
[smoke]
So....Mr. bond, how looong haf you had dis [i]feeling?[/i]  
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 4:43:35 AM EDT
[#20]
I dont have any "gut feeling", I just think it's an adult male's responsibility to be able to defend his family by whatever means necessary.
Hummmm.....
couple M1a's.....check
couple + AR's....check
couple + SKS's....check
5000 rounds of ammo for each......check
Beaucoup reloading components....check
various lever actions, scoped bolt rifles, pistols, and substantial ammo for each....check.
I think the Boy Scouts said it best. Be prepared.
Eric
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 4:45:37 AM EDT
[#21]
I've had a feeling for some time now that there's a bad moon rising.  I'm not sure what will happen, but I figure that firearms and ammunition make sense as an investment.  Precious metals are only good if our currency rapidly devalues.  If society starts to crumble, pretty metals stop having a special value since they won't help anyone weather out the bad times.  I see all the things that have been going on and agree to some extent with some of you that there will be a conflict between the government and the people.  However, I can't help but think with some of the diseases that we've seen in recent years that one might break out here one day.  People problems can be solved by both sides saying enough and sitting down together.  A serious biological outbreak wouldn't have a happy ending.  But no matter what happens, firearms and ammunition are useful tools to have, regardless of what happens.  Having more than one means having something of recognizeable, intrinsic value that can be traded for other necessities in the future.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 5:03:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Put me on the "Gut feeling" list too.
I think GreyGhost is the pretty much on the money. I have been feeling this country is moving to something bad with the race relations. It is just a matter of time. I hate to think that we are moving towards such a bad thing but what can you do but be prepared.

My cousin was the key factor on me buying guns. Years ago he showed me his mini14 and a Moss590 he has and the THOUSANDS of rounds in his safe. On the other side of the safe was gold that would make Fort Knox look empty. He is looking for the next depression in the near future. He has sold off things and bought gold. I have yet to do the gold thing but I am good in guns and some ammo. And hear I thought my cousion was nuts for thinking such things. When you do buy a gun you start thinking hummmm things can get bad one day. They do put you on a higher level of thinking.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 5:17:48 AM EDT
[#23]
If you look at history, 50 years is a very long time for a country to be stable and well.
225 years is a long time for one form of goverment.
I just think we are due for something. The good times cannot last forever.
Better than just stocking up, you should form cells with like minded people you can trust. A  team is a better way than a lone "sniper"
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 5:22:01 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm afraid that things will not be so clear-cut as the "SHTF"  Instead of one day when the "balloon goes up" our society will drift away voluntarily with a whimper.  There will be no one to shoot.  The poor guy who will have to enforce the increasingly intrusive laws may dislike them as much as you.
The problem is that the general population is quite different from the WWII vets.  People today are willing to live in a country that operates like Sweden.  I love rifles, but I think the most appropriate weapon for the future will be a good lawyer.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 5:34:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Art, you are now where I was 10 0r 15 years ago.  You have this disquieting feeling that all is not right, that freedom is slipping away, and that no one sees it but you.  Relax, you are among friends.  Much of what you hear described as 'conspiracy theories' are TRUE.  The concentration camp rumor is a FACT.  I have seen one of these camps with my own eyes.  The police dept's are being militarized.  The general public IS being bs'ed into believe that guns are evil.  
 Solutions - 1. E-mail me for more info.  2. Buy ammo.  LOTS AND LOTS of ammo.  3. find others (like me) who think like you do.  4.  Lat and most important, get it straightened our with the Almighty, He will open your eyes and you will never be able to close them again.  Look up my 'Rise of the Fourth Reich' thread, and E-mail me with your thoughts.  SpecOps
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 5:45:38 AM EDT
[#26]
dragracerart, you are indeed insane, and I must insist that you turn over all your weapons and at least one vehicle (one in particular actually) to me so you don't hurt anybody!!!!
[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Seriously, I have owned guns all my life, military style weapons since I was 18 or so, and I never had that "Something is Coming" feeling until about 1996 when Klinton got re-elected. I think it was because I couldn't believe that a majority of US citizens could want that bastard back as anything other than a prisoner. As time went on, I began to feel like maybe it wasn't just the election, but maybe the decay of world society. Canibalism had made a return in parts of the world, countries were falling deeper into chaos, bad was good, good was bad, etc., etc..
Y2K didn't faze me - I always felt that it was going to be a non-event. New Years 2000 found me out partying with my friends like any other year and I felt vindicated as the news reports came in that nothing was happening with the stroke of midnight.
However I continued to feel that something was coming.
GW's election made me feel better about the direction our govt. was going to take us, but the SIC feeling persists.  Maybe it's Biblical, maybe it's the continued social decay,,, who knows..
I too feel a need to gather enough to cover friends that haven't prepared, and my family is squared away. Still need a little more ammo and spares.
If I'm wrong, I have a collection that I'll enjoy for the rest of my life and will have something to leave the young'uns.  If I'm right, well, I hope I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 5:54:09 AM EDT
[#27]
I thought it was just me.  And my gut feeling hit home around 8 months ago.

I'll admit that life has been kicking me in the teeth as of late.  Not that in different times in my life things haven't gone bad for me but for some reason it seems like the bottom could fall out of everthing now.  We joke and talk about the SHTF but although I hope and pray it never happens I can't sit back and be unprepared.  My gut tells me things are headed in that direction.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 5:55:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Gus, you said a mouthful "leave to the young'uns." Our descendents are the ones that will truely need our weapons.
It is coming, every government in history has faced it.
But when????????
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 6:00:45 AM EDT
[#29]
"Nazi's and Communists alike disarmed their subject, unarmed dissenters ended up in mass graves, unarmed dissenters perished one by one, take some with you!"[^]

--captioned in My favorite photo from this website
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 6:27:55 AM EDT
[#30]
After 44 years on this earth, I recently purchased my first 2 AR's...1 CAR, and 1 AR...both PRE.  Just received a dozen 30 round mags, and ....need I say more.  

"paspecops"
When you mention that "Reich" shit, or anything else having to do with Hilter, you make me want to dis-associate myself with the forum.  But then I realize most here are not preaching this Nazi shit.  Hitler is dead and I for one am thankful he did not succeed.  And yes, I am white, just not a racist. [puke]

Bow  
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 6:30:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 6:31:42 AM EDT
[#32]
 Come on guys
I mean after all , we got the Democraps looking out for us . If they can't get the job done we got the UN too  .  If the SHTF we would be better off than before .
   And all you have to do is sign your soul away . Literally Get the mark of the beast and be set for life .
      Love thy neighbor and turn the other cheek .
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 6:50:37 AM EDT
[#33]
ss109 is right and history bears this out. Do you think we will be the first to beat the odds? I doubt it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 6:54:15 AM EDT
[#34]
I have it. I sometimes wonder if I am suffering from cognitive dissonance and just trying to justify the fact that I have spent big $$ on ARs and such by coming up with assorted SHTF scenarios. Then I watch the news and my stomach turns over as I think I am in total denial of how bad it is really going to get and I haven't done nearly as much as I can and can't do nearly as much as I want to. I've decided to get a few more things and then try to enjoy the challenge of life. Guns, food, property, stocks, bonds, cash, a gas mask? Crap. I don't know.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 7:01:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Once upon a time I was happy with just my AR and mini-14.
Now I am trying to buy everything I can not because of a SHTF senerio but rather a buy what I can before California bans it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 7:09:48 AM EDT
[#36]
 I,m 55 and i hate guns ,thats why i buy so many. to keep other people from getting their hands on them. i buy ammo too. so as long as your keeping them out of the hands of evildoers your ok. i also like to call them  S.U. R.s suburban utility rifles. that way it sounds
 better.
           Semper Fi ammo1015
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 7:14:47 AM EDT
[#37]
my wife is a mormon, and i am not. however, we have allways followed the mormon teachings to be prepared for whatever, and we allways are. lots of food, generator etc. guns i have  bought over the years because i was brought up using them and enjoy them immensly. i am a mechanic, and anything that is mechanicaly superb in form and function i like. guns are all of this. and naturally, ya gotta have ammo, lots and lots of ammo, and magazines, lots and lots of magazines, and reloading equipment, lots and lots of, er, well, you know------ so far as a gut feeling, yes, i have had the very same feeling ever since clinton was elected.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 7:54:06 AM EDT
[#38]
That "feeling" is why I got into guns.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 9:15:58 AM EDT
[#39]
i own guns. i like to shoot and clean and just look at them. i like talking about them with friends and i like reading about how they are used. SHTF? nope im not ready. i have food and water but not enough other things, ammo, mags etc... i get the "feeling" a few times a month. it useually happends when we, as a nation, make a huge mistake. or when something so horrible happens it makes your stomache turn. waco, ruby ridge, OKC, whitewater, hummergate, pardon gate, gas guzzleing SUVgate. all these things make me feel that my country is going in a direction it shouldnt. would i like this country to be all fluffy and nice? yes. am i prepared to fight for my life and defend it? yes. but to tell the truth i feel this country/government is due for a correction. will i be alive when this happens? i dont know but i still want to be ready to roll with the punches. i will continue to collect guns and mags and ammo and all sorts of other things that i feel i i might need someday. and just for the sake of my neice i will always be pro-gun. i want her to be able to defend herself latter in life when Uncle Bob is not around. and i now this is going to sound odd but, i hope the SHTF comes soon. becouse at this point i think it will only get worse. and you know the old saying. things get worse before they get better. lets hope we can all come through it together and be able to say that when the time came, we made a differance. thanks
DB
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 9:58:42 AM EDT
[#40]
 Waterdog, you will find no one more anti Nazi than me.  I am a Christian, my great grandad was a Jew, and tyranny makes me BARF!!  Please read the post in the spirit in which it was written, in that I see a resurgence in authoritarian, Godless (or pagan gods) gov't.  You probably don't know this, but in addition to the six million Jews said to be murdered in the concentration camps, five million Christians were also killed...........Nazism makes me sick too, were on the same side, bro.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 10:39:22 AM EDT
[#41]
This is weird.I too have been a gear head;into cars.I have never felt a need for guns except shotguns.I found this place two years ago.For no apparent reason I have been buying guns,and ammo.I have allways had this gut felling you guys talk about.But in the last three years it has grown stronger every day.I can't stand to watch T.V.except for the history channel,and tech tv.I watch,and listen to all the crap they spew at us,and it makes me sick.I hate the way are country is going.They hero worship actors,singers,and TV hosts.I respect,and admire people who are loyal,and truthful.I love to watch shows about navy SEALS.Or any special opps.Then this year I see democraps take some votes from are boys over seas,and throw them away,and claim they don't count.Thats the greatest example I have seen so far of how far they will go to beat us.Then again I'm a nut case,and what do I know.I just hope there are more people out there who see what I see.And are offened by the same things that bother me.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 11:32:45 AM EDT
[#42]
I have this same feeling.
But for different reasons.

I am kinda a social agitator in my life, and usually do whatever it takes to go against the grain.
In other words, I do whatever "they" tell me I shouldn't.
Then the AW ban was imposed, I was in my late formative years. I saw the government my teachers always told me to "trust" start a campaign to remove Semi-Auto rifles from American society.
Ever since then, I have been buying every one I can, whether I can afford it or not, just because I "shouldn't".
It is definitley a "compulsion" in the acedemic sense, and not always healthy (Financialy or socially),

But,

fuck 'em.

I have always been an obsessive personallity to begin with. Whatever I do, I focus 100% of my energy on it. Guns has been my "obsession" for a while now, and probably won't ever stop.

Blah blah blah

McUZI
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Hey MickUZI - you never did let me know if you got my response re: General Lee....
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 2:29:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Paspecops,

Sorry about that....it was early... no coffee....and search didn't come up with anything.....

But again, I misunderstood your statement and formally apologize.

Bow
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 2:50:27 PM EDT
[#45]
I believe that if the founding fathers were around they would have stood up to the feds in the thirtys, but you who think wel are being slowly boiled like the lobster need only look at the loss of freedom in the last 60 years, but mainly look at the last 30. Gun control is just one small area to look at, but when you do you can see that the amount of anti laws in the last few years has just snow balled to the point that we get a new one every year at the fed level, and in places like Ca. almost every other month!
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#46]
MO BULLETS---MO BULLETS---MO BULLETS....[heavy]    It`s got nuutin to do with why or need.......only purpose is want and GREED!....[rocket]
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Ratters, you said it so well I feel no need to retype.

CMOS
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 6:18:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Ever heard of Rhodesia?  You are not wrong or werid or paranoid.  "Just because I'm prepared doesn't make me paranoid."
Our great government spent a lot of time and money to train me and a lot of others on these boards to be exactly the way you describe.  
We use to be the real superpower of the world, now we are in decline and there are many who are watching and waiting for an opportunity to seize our assets, resources, technology and control our people.
[X]
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 6:21:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Maybe I got just a little "too" indoctrinated by the Army, but I will NOT be without a rifle suitable for combat. EVER. So don't feel bad; besides, an good AR will shoot circles around a lot of bolt rifles on a range.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 7:12:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Don't mind the guts, those feelings just get in the way of what the voices in your head are saying.....
I know what you are talking about. I get the same feelings.

Shoot safe
Robert
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top