Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure if this will last here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7lAp-yCqk0
View Quote
That was a train wreck...

"What bullet weight?"

"Uhhh..."

"Since the parent case is .223 Winchester, why not do it on the .223 Winchester case..."

This is the first I've heard of a .223 Winchester.  I've heard of a .223 Remington, but not a Winchester.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 10:35:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 11:06:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 11:30:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The forum wasn’t getting much traffic but pulling it late was our bad.

As for coverage, check out the new page we setup here: https://www.ar15.com/shot-show-2019/

We have aggregated video, photo, forum posts and twitter feeds into one place to make it easier. Other shot discussion threads are also in the GD.

We have been releasing videos each day and will continue to do so until they are all completed!!! We have a lot of footage from the show!
View Quote
I thank you for all that you do and I know that you are always trying to improve the forum, but this format is has less than zero appeal to me.  The forum was excellent.   Any that wanted to take to time could post whatever they found that was interesting.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 12:10:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I thank you for all that you do and I know that you are always trying to improve the forum, but this format is has less than zero appeal to me.  The forum was excellent.   Any that wanted to take to time could post whatever they found that was interesting.
View Quote
Agreed!  But, it seems as though they killed the forum to increase the partner traffic.  Gave up on SHOT, here and YT after about a day.  Having AR15 promoting innovations would have been awesome.  So it goes.....
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 2:23:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 2:40:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd go, pay my own way.  I'm more a fan of pictures with short write ups but could easily do short videos and live streams.  It would be nice to run about and hit the reloading and accessories sections as well as targeting the innovators at shot 2020.   Most videos have too much noise to signal ratio, I think it'd be easy to get the meat in potatoes in a couple minutes for most products.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 4:06:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'd go, pay my own way.  I'm more a fan of pictures with short write ups but could easily do short videos and live streams.  It would be nice to run about and hit the reloading and accessories sections as well as targeting the innovators at shot 2020.   Most videos have too much noise to signal ratio, I think it'd be easy to get the meat in potatoes in a couple minutes for most products.
View Quote
Agreed 100% I have to watch a whole video at however long it is 5-15 minutes to see if there is any useful or interesting information. I can scan an article a lot quicker and see if there's something interest. I know the videos probably get more ad dollars but considering I refuse to watch videos you aren't getting any ad dollars from my 0 views and I already pay for the site so you're getting money that way, give me pictures.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 4:09:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I try to keep my videos short for a reason. I think SHOT Show videos shouldn't be long. It should be a "hey, check this out" and move on. Later media work can go more into detail. I get what GoatBoy and crew and trying to do. And I give them credit for it. They built up a good business.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 4:52:01 PM EDT
[#12]
@GoatBoy was the traffic slow during the months right around SHOT? I’m sure it’s dead the rest of the year as there’s no real reason to go there but during shot it was a good place to go.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 5:05:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 6:37:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Next year we should post a Shot Show Link Share thread, so folks can add different places to get info from, which I am ok with and all for. The bigger issues these days is folks everywhere are covering the show and doing less than nice things to steal traffic from one another. It really has been bad, like real bad. People dont want to play nicely anymore, which is sad. The problem I have with that is if we are all on the same side, then share together. Help one another. But that's not how it works anymore.

The show forum itself was just not getting traction. A couple of threads in GD should cover everything people are looking for as well as a way to share conversations and coverage. I think having someone from the site go to "help" bridge the gap between community and show would also be great. Coverage for the people, by the people!
View Quote
Wife and I would have fun doing it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:31:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Please bring back the SHOT Show forum next year.  It's nice having just 1 place to go to find all info on SHOT Show.  In past years someone would always start a thread in that forum and update it with links to other sites that have SHOT Show coverage.  That thread was always nice to consolidate all the links to coverage around the web.  And usually there'd be a general SHOT Show picture thread in that forum where various people would post up all the pics they took at SHOT.  I know we all appreciate the coverage ar15.com does of SHOT, but there's always going to be companies/products some of us are interested in seeing that ar15.com won't cover as you can't hit every booth.

I also much prefer pictures to videos.  I just want to see a picture or two of a new product and maybe a few sentences at most explaining it vs. a video.  Then I can just quickly browse through lots of new products and scan for anything of interest.  I'm not watching any videos unless it's for just the small handful of new products I'm especially interested in getting more info on.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Agree this year coverage was not that great! Too confusing to look at let alone find. Went else where for the coverage. Don't know why you went and changed the format. It was just fine the way it was in the past.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 12:22:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Next year we should post a Shot Show Link Share thread, so folks can add different places to get info from, which I am ok with and all for. The bigger issues these days is folks everywhere are covering the show and doing less than nice things to steal traffic from one another. It really has been bad, like real bad. People dont want to play nicely anymore, which is sad. The problem I have with that is if we are all on the same side, then share together. Help one another. But that's not how it works anymore.

The show forum itself was just not getting traction. A couple of threads in GD should cover everything people are looking for as well as a way to share conversations and coverage. I think having someone from the site go to "help" bridge the gap between community and show would also be great. Coverage for the people, by the people!
View Quote
I Like these ideas. The SHOT SHOW subforum is dead most of the year. But, with this idea, Arfcom could have two threads pinned in General Discussion each year for Shot show. One would be for Arfcom's official reporting and comments on that. The other would be for additional Shot show reporting by other sources and comments on that. Let them both be pinned for anywhere from 30 days to 10 months, then unpin them and let them fade away. Start a new pair of pinned threads for the next Shot show on January 2nd of the next year.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 2:30:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Do what you gotta do to make sure you can own it, water mark stuff, whatever but I personally would much prefer articles and pics over videos. Even if the article is just a transcription of the video with stills from the video that's easier for me to digest.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 3:41:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 4:56:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Would love to help out but not free until SHOT 2021.  Haven't been to a SHOT since the 90s, been busy elsewhere.  Always came to ARFCOM for my SHOT news while deployed.

CD
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 9:40:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 3:16:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Would it work to have a pinned banner link to the SHOT forum, the same way it does when TNVC or other sponsors have a "superpinned" page? That could direct traffic to that specific forum, and also allow for the SHOT specific threads, and have the Pinned ARF IG feed, etc.

Like others have said, I'm not going to watch the videos.  Too much signal to noise.  And if I have to use IG to scroll for the pictures without any context or blurbs about content, I'm likely not gonna do that either.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 5:45:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Pretty much a disappoint to say the least.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 2:59:41 PM EDT
[#25]
... thank you
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 11:13:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Pretty much a disappoint to say the least.
View Quote
To be fair, pretty much every Shot Show report on YouTube and the various blogs was disappointing....
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 12:02:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Having spent time in the film business, I can say with confidence that most people like to see their name and face on screen and in print. And, if you are normal, you are drawn to shows, films, books, etc., where someone you know is involved. My suggestion would be to include write-ups, videos, interviews about products and exhibitors who are related to arfcom, if not members here. I know we're all interested in gear and guns, but we're also interested in each other.
On a side note, I am among those disappointed in this year's coverage. No disrespect to your efforts, but the results didn't live up to the expectations. I do, however, applaud your hard work and enthusiasm.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 7:54:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's a great idea.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That's a great idea.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a great idea.
... sure is
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 11:41:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Goatboy, thanks for your efforts here.

/Cheers
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top