Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2003 7:06:51 PM EDT
can someone point me to aplace that can trace ip address.that will show me where the address is?
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:58:54 PM EDT
[#1]
you could try using the trace route function in command line.

we use a program at school to do this but I can't recall the name of it. I'll PM you when I find out.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:01:55 PM EDT
[#2]
IP address to "Street Address", well you gotta know people for that.

otherwise:

in M$ Winders:

tracert

In *NIX:

traceroute

Will give you list of providers leading to destination, which will usually get you within the area of a state or two.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:08:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Was curious about this as well.

But more to point, what somebody can do with your ISP address once they have it.

They way I understand it, my internet provider issues a new one each time you log on, hence making it pretty tough for anybody to who might have it to ill use it.

But hey, you never know.

Just how secure is the internet anyway? (not trying to hijack this thread!)
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:09:07 PM EDT
[#4]
You can try neotrace or visual route download.com has both in a try before you buy versions.
[url]http://download.com.com/3000-2648-7139158.html?tag=lst-0-1[/url]
&
[url] http://download.com.com/3000-2648-10250826.html?tag=lst-0-3 [/url]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:40:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Was curious about this as well.

But more to point, what somebody can do with your ISP address once they have it.

They way I understand it, my internet provider issues a new one each time you log on, hence making it pretty tough for anybody to who might have it to ill use it.

But hey, you never know.

Just how secure is the internet anyway? (not trying to hijack this thread!)
View Quote

You can go through hubs or use a proxy server, IP's are not that accurate for the ID of the person who really posted. It usually is more of a pain in the ass to use hubs or proxy servers, and takes longer to go through them, and is full of other problems, more so than I really care to deal with, as I used them in the past, but haven't of late, just to much hassle to try and hide a thing that is not that big of a deal.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 9:10:29 PM EDT
[#6]
just do a who is search.....
[url]http://www.arin.net/whois/[/url]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 11:07:18 AM EDT
[#7]
[url]www.samspade.org[/url]

This will trace IP's back to the ISP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top