Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2003 5:14:29 PM EDT
I am thinking about joining the state guard. Here's what I know so far:

1. Its an official state organization - NOT a bunch of militia hicks

2. One Saturday a month, two three day weekends a year, legitimate training for crowd control, natural disasters, etc.

3. Their role is to be back up should the SC National Guard be activated.

What do you know about state guards??

SHould I do it???
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I was considering joining the Ohio Military Reserve for the same reasons you list.

Don't think I'm gonna do it though, but for silly personal reasons (like I don't want to shave my beard)  Maybe another time...

But it sounds like an OK deal.  MP training for "free"...how cool is that.

Scott
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 12:36:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I know one guy in the CA State Military Reserve.  He is the older brother of a buddy.  We wrestled several times in gym in Jr. High.  He kept sticking his fingers in the other guys mouths to use as leverage.  I bit him 3 times in a row.  He hasn't gotten any smarter in the last 40 some-odd years.  He's made it to the exalted rank of Staff  Sergeant.

I had them try and recruit me once.  They have two major missions in CA.  Run the State Military Museum and guard the empty National Guard Armories when the Guard gets called up.  Apparently they do other things sometimes.  (I got told that they were activated for the Rodney King riots but when I pressed for details, they kinda clammed up and showed me some neat rambo type t-shirts.)

Look up their (the CA types)web page.  I was definitely and severaly under-impressed.  

See if yours do anything better.  Ours looked like a bunch of wannabees.  They don't get paid unless called up and the Legislature decides to pay them.  They can get called up and not get paid.

That said if they do interesting things AND you get paid for it.  Why not?

If you might get called for riots, get shot at and not paid, why?
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#3]
btt
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:23:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I've dealt with the SC stae guard some,a nd for a state guard they seem pretty well organised and efficent. Go for it.

NC's state guard was allowed to pretty well dissapear several years ago, and now a handfull of guys are really making an effort to rebuild it right, with good success so far.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 7:28:48 PM EDT
[#5]
If CT had something like that, I'd probably join up...
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 7:41:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well you can always join the CT NG, my recruiter promised the NG would never be called to active duty...
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 7:51:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Well you can always join the CT NG, my recruiter promised the NG would never be called to active duty...
View Quote

BTDT. Already researched that angle.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 7:53:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Why not just join the South Carolina National Guard, or some other real reserve outfit?  Or, Heaven forbid, you could join the wartime Armed Forces of the United States.

The 'State Guards' are a fucking joke.  You're always gonna feel like a nobody, and you're never gonna get to do shit unless its the end of the God damn world.

You'd do more good and have more fun as a Scout Troop leader if it came down to it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:19:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

The same recruiter must've enlisted these guys:

[img]http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/graphics/iraq_oneweekendamonth.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:24:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why not just join the South Carolina National Guard, or some other real reserve outfit?  Or, Heaven forbid, you could join the wartime Armed Forces of the United States.
View Quote

Obviously you've never met Garandman and you don't know how old he is.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:56:31 PM EDT
[#11]
That was going to be my question - what's the age reqirement?  I know the NG won't take me 'cause I'm too old!
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 9:32:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The same recruiter must've enlisted these guys:

[url]http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/graphics/iraq_oneweekendamonth.jpg[/url]
View Quote

HAHAHAHA!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:31:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The 'State Guards' are a fucking joke.  You're always gonna feel like a nobody, and you're never gonna get to do shit unless its the end of the God damn world.

You'd do more good and have more fun as a Scout Troop leader if it came down to it.
View Quote

Well, I can see how you got the "rabid" part of your login name.

[rolleyes]

Let's just say I'd like to do my part - as much as I'm capable of , and would be allowed to do right now.

My apologies that you think that's not enuf.

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:34:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dude -

You make it sound like I'm ancient.  [:D]

jhasz -

No age requirement cited. While its an official capacity of the state of South Carolina, its the local manifestation of the "unorganized militia" as detailed in the Militia Act of 1792, and also the SC state constitution.

In short, its EXACTLY what us gun owners have been SCREAMING about the Second Amendment guarantees us as ordinary citizens.

Oh, and rabid coyote -

Bite me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:43:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Dude - You make it sound like I'm ancient.  [:D]
View Quote

You [i]are,[/i]  aren't you? (hee hee)
jhasz - No agre requirement cited.
View Quote

What's an [red]agre[/red] requirement?

[devil]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:49:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude - You make it sound like I'm ancient.  [:D]
View Quote

You [i]are,[/i]  aren't you? (hee hee)
View Quote

Which makes you only four years away from ancient, there pard'ner.  [:D]

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:50:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

hey WG, go here, it does exist. Connecticut has some of the oldest militia units in the country. I've been thinking about joining myself.

[url]http://www.governorsfootguard.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.footguard.org/[/url]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:14:05 AM EDT
[#18]
I just joined ours, since I ETSd from the ARNG in August.  [url]www.mdisdf.org[/url]

I'm in the MP company, and they do actually train.  It's mostly police officers, seems like.  Plus if the bill to offer more money to the State Defense Forces goes through, some things could change for the SDFs.  And if it totally sucks, you can resign.

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:22:49 AM EDT
[#19]
I say do it. If nothing else, you might pick up some extra training tha tcould come in handy, no matter how miniscule it may be.

Ya old geezer!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:27:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

hey WG, go here, it does exist. Connecticut has some of the oldest militia units in the country. I've been thinking about joining myself.

[url]http://www.governorsfootguard.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.footguard.org/[/url]
View Quote

Done. I e-mailed the recruiter of the First Company.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:48:17 AM EDT
[#21]
well, i enjoy being in the alabama state defense force (state guard).we drill with the n.g. at times and use their armory locally. i have a key to that armory and they help train us and support us as well.. i am company commander of charlie company 103rd infantry battalion. we drill once or twce a month and train for our missions(to back up the national guard and work with ema and do military funerals). we wear the same uniforms as the guard with just a few variations and we are proud to serve. half of my company is prior service or retired vets. they are proud as well to be of service to the state.....i don't feel like a wannabe or a 2nd rate soldier, we are here just in case we are needed. it's volunteerism at its finest and patriotic as well.....go for it garandman!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top