Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2003 1:21:52 PM EDT
Looking to buy one in the 1970 - 75 year range. Which one should I get. Am going to get one already restored. Seems the Broncos are good investments with the Jeeps selling cheaper. Any thoughts , I am at a roadblock on the choice.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 1:36:09 PM EDT
[#1]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=6589[/img]

I am biased but I prefer the old Broncos.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 1:53:16 PM EDT
[#2]
You can do a lot of fun offroad things with both of them. However, a CJ5 is shorter..and a bit more prone to rollovers than a CJ7 due to a different center of gravity.

Since I'm a Jeep guy, I'd get the CJ5 (or look for a CJ7 to be honest) with a 360 under the hood, but I've also seen freaky offroad shit done with an old Bronco, so...it's preference at that point. Neither will steer you wrong if you use them to their potential. I don't know about the aftermarket for parts about Broncos, but I know Jeep has a VERY lively aftermarket parts world. You could build a brand-new 1973 Jeep CJ5 with the parts out there, including the chassis. Don't know if such a thing exists for Broncos...that's where my quandary would be.

Just my opinion, don't take it as fact or anything [:D]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 1:59:41 PM EDT
[#3]
There are a lot of bad ass broncos on ebay right now.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:25:28 PM EDT
[#4]
get the bronco, those old ones rock!
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Think how hard it would be to mount a MG in the back of the Bronco Vs the Jeep LOL

Looking for a good Jeep right now to turn into a gunjeep.  

Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:49:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Think how hard it would be to mount a MG in the back of the Bronco Vs the Jeep LOL

Looking for a good Jeep right now to turn into a gunjeep.  

View Quote

hey, you can take the hard top off on the bronco.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:44:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Cruiser , That is sure a sharp truck , thanks for all the post.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:20:00 AM EDT
[#8]
the 76 and 77 broncos have some of the more desirable features (mainly front disc brakes), but stll have the same look as the rest of the 66-77 broncos. depending on the features you want and how much you have, you may want to consider those years as well.

the bronco is likely going to hold its value better than the jeeps and even apprecaite unless  you obliterate it on the trail. and although there isnt as much of an aftermarket parts market as there is for the jeeps, many of the bronco parts will interchange from 66-77. also many other parts were used on other ford trucks during that time. i doubt youd have any trouble finding what you need.

and since you are in alabama, you can probably find some nice rust free examples for a couple thousand dollars. a fully restored bronco is going to set you back quite a bit more though. a solid tub and body with good mechanicals and so so paint and trim would probably give eyou the best value.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:58:54 AM EDT
[#9]
This is a friends 'Wheeler. The best of both worlds.

[img]http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/photos/182802-M-1.jpg[/img]
The body is a 1973 Jeep Commando, the frame is 1980 Scout 2, the engine is a built 400ci Chev Small Block, transmission is a Muncie 465, transfer case is a Rockwell, front axle is a Dana 60 with Detroit Locker, rear axle is a coustom built Dana 70 with locked spider gears, I am running 5.89 gears in the axles with disk brakes all around, the tires are 44 inch Monster Mudders.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:24:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Damned that Bronco is sweet,you can get anything for either a jeep or Bronco,but will cost,avoid anything made in Taiwan.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:54:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
the 76 and 77 broncos have some of the more desirable features (mainly front disc brakes), but stll have the same look as the rest of the 66-77 broncos. depending on the features you want and how much you have, you may want to consider those years as well.

the bronco is likely going to hold its value better than the jeeps and even apprecaite unless  you obliterate it on the trail. and although there isnt as much of an aftermarket parts market as there is for the jeeps, many of the bronco parts will interchange from 66-77. also many other parts were used on other ford trucks during that time. i doubt youd have any trouble finding what you need.

and since you are in alabama, you can probably find some nice rust free examples for a couple thousand dollars. a fully restored bronco is going to set you back quite a bit more though. a solid tub and body with good mechanicals and so so paint and trim would probably give eyou the best value.
View Quote

Mine is a 76 with power steering, disc brakes, 302, and 85000(more or less) original miles.  The hard top has never been off. As far as aftermarket parts, there are more options than you could possibly need. You can pretty much buy a Bronco peice by peice out of a catalog if you want.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't know a whole lot about Broncos other than they seem to cost more to buy in the first place and model specific parts for them seem to be both less plentiful and more expensive as well.

As I said in [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=218311&w]your other thread[/url], if you are considering a Jeep, look at the 76-86 models. If you are looking for an investment, you should consider an 81-86 CJ-8 Scrambler as well. Built right and in good condition, they are popular, draw a lot of attention, and continue to appreciate in value as their collector status grows.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 12:52:02 PM EDT
[#13]
What are your intentions?  These are enthusiast vehicles, and demand the frequent attention of their owners.  They are labors of love.  If you don't love that labor, you'll be kicking yourself over the purchase.

I like these trucks, but my taste for auto work/accessorizing diminishes more every year.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 1:02:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I like the Bronco over the jeep.  My favorite years are the 1974 (ps, pb, c4 tranny, big bearing rear end and Dana 44 front), or the 1977 (flush fuel doors, heavy duty rear end (reinforced housing), ps, pb, c4, blah blah blah.

I have owned a 72, and currently drive a 77 with door inserts.  I like the extra room for carrying stuff the Bronco gives you over the CJ5.  For me, the Bronco is the perfect off road/onroad, original SUV.  

im sent.

MG
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 1:13:49 PM EDT
[#15]
The Bronco is going to cost more, but IMHO it's a better lookin vehicle with more to offer.  Jeeps are great, but early Broncos are in a class by themselves.  Of course, either one is going to be a moneypit, and will offer you unlimited opportunities to get dirty and profane under the hood, whether or not they've been restored.  Parts are all over the 'net for either.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 1:43:15 PM EDT
[#16]
don't be like everyone else, everybody has a bronco or a jeep. get a Scout and cruise in style. this is a 79 Scout SSII.

[img]www.ihssii.org/public_html/IHSSII/otherssiifolders/dcbishop/ClentonGrass.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I like the extra room for carrying stuff the Bronco gives you over the CJ5.
View Quote

That's why there are CJ-6s, CJ-7s, CJ-8s, M-170s, etc.

For me, the Bronco is the perfect off road/onroad, original SUV.  
View Quote

So it's perfect for those trips to the mall and then picking up the kids from soccer practice on the way home? [;)] Sorry, but with the way the term SUV has been perverted over the last couple of decades, I couldn't help it. Seriously, though, like the old Toyota Landcruisers, those old Broncos are pretty nice imitations of Jeeps. Way back in the day I almost bought an early 70s Bronco instead of my first CJ-5. [:)]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 2:04:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
don't be like everyone else, everybody has a bronco or a jeep. get a Scout and cruise in style. this is a 79 Scout SSII.
View Quote

Here's a 79 Scout II for sale just down the street from you:

[img]http://images.traderonline.com/EMedia/tarchive2/245/288015/00338480718.jpg[/img]

[url=http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/3/2/61483232.htm]1979 INTERNATIONAL SCOUT[/url]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 3:58:19 PM EDT
[#19]
thats a real nice one boomer. but it is a scout traveller. 118" wheelbase, i've looked at a couple of those around here.i just can't bring myself to like them over the 100" wb standard scoutII. one day i will find one to replace my old beast
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top