Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2003 11:10:13 AM EDT
I'm working on a letter to the Editor.  Have any states had CCW permits be a matter of public record?  If so, which ones.  What happened?  
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 1:27:08 PM EDT
[#1]
In Florida, it is partial public record.  Similar to driver's licenses, much is available, but some important details are left out except for other law enforcement agencies.  However this is in a state of flux as there are suits and countersuits to shield from view, and expose more.  

Interestingly (and, why should it surprise me), some jurisdictions in California use the public record aspect to discourage applicants.  I had inquired about a carry permit, that is, a jurisdiction's policy, a few weeks ago.  The short story is that the wife wants CA, I don't, but you know how that can go.  Anyway, I got an e-mail back from an administrator who said , among other things, that "there is a great deal of personal information that is made public record." It was certainly done in a discouraging tone, indeed somewhat snotty as the letter went on.  As explanation for that they went through the background check "with fingerprints" etc. (as if that were something unusual or a big deal) and concluded with "As you can see, it is very difficult to get a handgun carry permit in California.  I wanted to write back, in an even, though cold, tone that the requirements are the same in FL except for the personal references and the "reason". (We are "shall-issue.")  The CA characters seemed to be trying to imply, without saying it outright that we just hand out permits, which is untrue. Anyway, I don't mean to digress, just going into a context in which the CCW files are stated to be public record, and such use was partially as a discouragement.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 1:41:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Recently one of the local newspapers in Fredricksburg or Spotsylvania county Va. published the name and address of every resident that had a CCW permit. There was a big stink about it at the time saying now the criminals know who are armed and could also make them a target of robbery of their firearms themselves. I have not heard any more about it though.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 1:56:37 PM EDT
[#3]
in Gastonia (just outside Charlotte) NC, they put them in the paper every week
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Recently one of the local newspapers in Fredricksburg or Spotsylvania county Va. published the name and address of every resident that had a CCW permit. There was a big stink about it at the time saying now the criminals know who are armed and could also make them a target of robbery of their firearms themselves. I have not heard any more about it though.
View Quote

I remember this one getting some good discussion going here. I am not big into litigation, but I would have considered suing over this if I was published.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:05:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Indiana is another one

[url]http://www.fairpress.org/sf0102/ElkhartTruth.htm[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top