Page / 9
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:07:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Tell the deputy to go inform the complainant that you're legal and MYOB
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not in Ohio.  It actually is illegal but most cops think that is still legal and I do my best to keep feeding that assumption.

OP, I'll come over for a full auto shoot and bring the guns depending on location.
View Quote
You can still purchase in Ohio
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:12:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Not in Ohio.  It actually is illegal but most cops think that is still legal and I do my best to keep feeding that assumption.

OP, I'll come over for a full auto shoot and bring the guns depending on location.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tannerite

Tannerite is illegal in Ohio????
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:15:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:15:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Church Group Shooting

Constable started off our party with 3lbs Saturday
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:20:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Guess you don't live near me, I didn't hear any cannons.  I'm surprised I've never had any calls. But it sounds like a normal encounter with Deputies. They were just checking for the callers sake. I wouldn't worry about it
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:23:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:23:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:24:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Invite the neighbor who called to come shoot.

Be considerate about when you shoot.

At that point you've done over and above.
View Quote
Screw that. Its his property. The neighbor sounds like a libtard that wants those "evil" guns banned. I'd ratchet up my shooting.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:29:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd start shooting that hand cannon off at night.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:31:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Did he ask to inspect your range or did you volunteer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He asks if my range is safe, I show him, all is well.
Did he ask to inspect your range or did you volunteer.
It was in passing, a "as long as it's on your property and safe..."

So I volunteered to show the lengths I have gone to to stay safe
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:41:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like you've already done more than enough to handle the authorities.

Most people in the same situation around here conclude with making extra gunfire and explosion noises for a few days or so.
If you have friends with full autos, invite them over for more volume.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:44:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Time for some mag dumps and tannerite explosions.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:46:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I would have given the deputy a reach around aka let him zip through a few mags of the 8" fal and gained an ally.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:46:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just keep doing what you are doing. He will get tired of calling LE, and they will get tired of him calling them.  It will work itself out.
View Quote
After a handful of calls most agencies will tell the repeat caller to stop calling as they’ve already checked it out and found their complaint unfounded.  Aka.  Bullshit
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Can you guys help me out on this Red Flag bit

What's that about?

Also, my range is dug into a hillside, down by the creek. It is lined on the sides with concrete ecology blocks

I brought in loose fill as a soft buffer for rounds that deflect down from the targets

The sides and back have standing timber and brush.

I just dont know what I could do to be safer or quieter for that matter. It's the lowest point on the place
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:49:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just keep doing what you are doing. He will get tired of calling LE, and they will get tired of him calling them.  It will work itself out.
View Quote
This .

Document well.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#19]
I have had it happen twice to me.

First Time: Out with some friends in the desert west of Provo near Utah Lake, couple of SKSs, some 10/22s, Glocks.  Was in college around 1992.  Some guy calls LEO and tells them that there are people dressed all in black shooting automatic weapons.  We see a deputy coming up and we put stuff down and moved away and made sure he could see our hands were clear.  He explained what he was told, said to carry on shooting.  Only one guy had any black on, a black t-shirt with Mickey Mouse on it.

Second Time: Shooting a guy's house from church with his son and another guy, county, huge berm on his land.  Look up and see three deputies and four highway patrol pulling in.  Deputy Dawg tries telling me I need to quit shooting.  I ask him if there is a law against it, by this time I am a licensed attorney too, and he says no, well I can't stop you from shooting.  Well, ok then Barney Fife.  So you and every LEO in county has nothing to do but show up in a rural county where people shoot frequently?    Useless.  Apparently, some woman's yippy dog didn't like it.  Piss off!
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:51:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Buy a real cannon.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:54:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:56:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Tannerite is the correct answer
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:58:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Sounds like you handled your business appropriately.

If you're operating within local/municipal/county ordinances, your nosy neighbor has no stake in the game.

The neighbor may continue his harassment and that's gonna' suck. Ask him why he hates freedom.

Sound like your neighbor might be the little prick who shows up a local council meetings to complain and voice concerns. Fucker probably drinks soy milk and lattes.

Dang, there's gun fire around here all the time. There's a private club just a mile or two down the road and we hear the freedom echoing through the hills.

We've discussed cannon acquisition here at home. There are really good placement opportunities to support multiple cannons.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 12:02:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Neighbors have to live with it.  One neighbor knows I'm a gonne-smyth and accredits all the chut'n to me, but it's actually a neighbor uphill from me.  He practices all the time and I play with computers.

Spent five hours last night responding to questions from the editor and a couple hours this morning answering more questions as well as writing a 200 word description for a battlescene.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 12:02:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We get these calls all the time.  If you are in the Twp, and the range is safe, that's all we care about.  Show me your backstop and rounds are not zinging off your property and I'll be on my way.
View Quote
What would you do if there was a safety issue like no backstop?
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 12:05:24 PM EDT
[#27]
I know the County, Locals, and some of the State, along with the DNR.. They have shot with me at my range, and have an open invite to shoot whenever they want whether I'm there or not..

I know CSB..

And yes I have a cannon..
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 12:06:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Buy a cannon.
View Quote
A Hotchkiss Revolving Cannon
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 12:07:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
We get these calls all the time.  If you are in the Twp, and the range is safe, that's all we care about.  Show me your backstop and rounds are not zinging off your property and I'll be on my way.
View Quote
Can you stop them from shooting if there is no backstop?
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 12:07:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 12:07:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Lol judging by these posts it is very common. About 10 years ago me and a buddy were out mag dumping our full semis. State boys flew over in the helicopter and hung around a bit.

Never been visited by a cruiser, atleast not for shooting. I used to do alot of night shooting, I am older and more curteous now so I do most of my shooting Sunday mornings when everyone is at church.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Purchase tannerite to augment the awesomeness of your freedom range time.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 12:09:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have had it happen twice to me.

First Time: Out with some friends in the desert west of Provo near Utah Lake, couple of SKSs, some 10/22s, Glocks.  Was in college around 1992.  Some guy calls LEO and tells them that there are people dressed all in black shooting automatic weapons.  We see a deputy coming up and we put stuff down and moved away and made sure he could see our hands were clear.  He explained what he was told, said to carry on shooting.  Only one guy had any black on, a black t-shirt with Mickey Mouse on it.

Second Time: Shooting a guy's house from church with his son and another guy, county, huge berm on his land.  Look up and see three deputies and four highway patrol pulling in.  Deputy Dawg tries telling me I need to quit shooting.  I ask him if there is a law against it, by this time I am a licensed attorney too, and he says no, well I can't stop you from shooting.  Well, ok then Barney Fife.  So you and every LEO in county has nothing to do but show up in a rural county where people shoot frequently?    Useless.  Apparently, some woman's yippy dog didn't like it.  Piss off!
View Quote
There has to be a typo and at least one missing comma in that sentence.  Otherwise, I'm guessing there was indeed a law against it.  

If not, I want to know the denomination of church.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 12:10:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Buy a real cannon.
View Quote
It's really the only possible solution.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 12:11:16 PM EDT
[#35]
As long as you are legal and safe keep doing what you are doing.

I had a bitchy neighbor a few years ago that tried to get everyone in the area to complain about another neighbor that had a range on their property. Dude with the range had about 5 acres that was close enough to a subdivision that people knew when he was shooting.  His range had a backstop and faced away from the subdivision towards a large bean field.  Some soccer mom type got her panties in a wad because he was shooting "too close" to houses. She even made of fliers asking people to call the sheriff anytime they heard shooting and placed them unsigned in everyone's mailbox.  Most of us told her to pound sand and to leave the shooter alone.  Shooter got pissed and borrowed a buddies cannon (3/4 scale civil war cannon) to use at his range.  That thing would shake the windows of my house from about 500 yards away.  Soccer mom stopped complaining after a sheriff's deputy threatened her with charges if she didn't stop calling about the shooting.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 12:14:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
And shoot it full auto.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buy a real cannon.
And shoot it full auto.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autocannon
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 12:20:06 PM EDT
[#37]
I see you've been told to buy a cannon, OP.
So my only suggestion is to buy 2.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Sorry, all I read through that was “who wants to come over for a range day?  Bring tannerite”
View Quote
That's all I read too, and I am in Ohio.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 12:28:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Every time I see one of these threads, I miss the HPA that much more...

The technology exists and could be readily available to prevent such annoyances, but for ignorance of others we must continue to risk our hearing, annoy neighbors, and waste LEO’s time on nuisance calls.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 12:40:52 PM EDT
[#41]
I'll tell you what I'd do - stop shooting suppressed.  One less thing to clean too.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 12:47:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
OP ahould have asked the deputy to wan the neighbor about the punishments for false reports.
View Quote
What was false?

I'm a photographer, I've had the cops called on me so many times for taking pics in public (not pap-in your face crap either) it's not funny... most of the time the cops approach and start their interaction with "I know you're not doing anything wrong but..."

Why are you wasting your time and my tax dollars then? GTFO.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 12:52:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Have you read anything I've written or linked to?  Disregard any responses from those who have no idea what the laws are in Ohio.  Follow the law and you shall come to no harm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can you guys help me out on this Red Flag bit

What's that about?

Also, my range is dug into a hillside, down by the creek. It is lined on the sides with concrete ecology blocks

I brought in loose fill as a soft buffer for rounds that deflect down from the targets

The sides and back have standing timber and brush.

I just dont know what I could do to be safer or quieter for that matter. It's the lowest point on the place
Have you read anything I've written or linked to?  Disregard any responses from those who have no idea what the laws are in Ohio.  Follow the law and you shall come to no harm.
I actually printed the range rules bit. Didn't see your explaining the red flag
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 12:54:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Dry, rough and repeated ass rape.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Plant some pine trees on the edges of your property for privacy.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:00:53 PM EDT
[#46]
20lb of tannerite next time....that will really sound like a cannon.  Then moving forward they will know your rifle fire isn't a cannon because it didn't sound like the earth shaking boom they heard last time...haha
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:04:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

This is what they're referring to:

Red Flag Laws

A red flag law is a gun violence prevention law that permits police or family members to petition a state court to order the temporary removal of firearms from a person who may present a danger to others or themselves.
The problem is there is no due process, and the person being 'red flagged' is guilty until proven innocent, at which point they would then have to go through the process/hassle/cost of getting back their legally owned property that was taken by the government.

Currently these laws have been passed in some states (see wiki), but there is national legislation backed by the Red Team's own Little Marco Rubio that would incentivize states to pass such legislation.

I may have butchered the explanation, if so someone will be along shortly to correct me.

ETA - I also see this as a possible way the 'red flag laws' could be abused. Some crazy ass neighbor in an area where the law enforcement are not as 2A friendly calls a few times and is told they cannot do anything about their neighbor shooting, next thing you know the neighbor was waving their scary black rifle at them and cussing them saying they were going to kill them. I can see it happening.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:07:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have a piece of property with a range on it.  We don't live there, but we have a 40'X60' pole barn on it, as well as the shooting range and trails through the woods for four wheelers and dirt bikes.

The neighbors are pretty chill for the most part.  The closest neighbor is actually across the road.  They are an older couple and very nice.  They give us homemade jam.  We give them venison.  When we have a barbecue out there, they're invited.  They've really taken a liking to my oldest son, and he has written permission to hunt on their 40 acres.

Since we live about five miles away, they also help keep a watch on our barn.  Overall, it's a very nice arrangement.

Last summer, I had my first bad experience with them.  My college-age nephew has not done much shooting, so we invited him and his dad out to shoot, including some full auto.  We had just finished shooting the .50 cal, when I see the neighbor pulling up in his SXS.  He was clearly upset, and asked that we not shoot the "cannon" anymore.  I replied, "No problem.  We were finished with it anyway."  At this point, I'm fine with everything.  He asked politely and even if we weren't finished, I would have stopped, because he asked.

However, what he did next pissed me off.  After getting what he wanted, he started to lecture me about not having enough land to shoot that thing.  No one likes to be lectured and told what they can or can't do with their own property.  I was able to bite my tongue and remember that for the last 15 years, we've been good neighbors, so I didn't say anything rash, but I was not happy.  Funny how close he came to ruining a friendship because he felt the need to lecture.
View Quote
Once the lecture started I would have uncased the 50 and started shooting again.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:08:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Buy a real cannon.
View Quote
Quoted:
View Quote
these things
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:17:01 PM EDT
[#50]
We just moved to a subdivision in the 'burbs. I can hear distant shooting from several directions everytime I'm outside during weekends. It tortures me.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top