Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2003 7:55:03 AM EDT
"I'll Be Home For Christmas" was recorded by Bing Crosby in October, 1943. We were almost two years into WWII. The Normandy invasion, Battle of the Bulge, Iwo Jima, and VE & VJ days lay far ahead. American servicemen were deployed around the globe, and given the choice would have rather been home with their loved ones. However, it was because of love of family and duty to our nation that they shouldered the sacrifice required of them. They have deservedly been called out Greatest Generation.

The pattern continued through Korea and Vietnam; American servicemen answering the call, leaving loved ones behind to do what must be done. Today the American military is again taking the fight around the world to our enemies so we can live in comfort, freedom, and safety. They have assumed the mantle of their fathers and grandfathers, making the sacrifice for us. Take a moment to read through the lyrics of the song, and remember the best of today's generation serving in American uniform. Pause and say a prayer in their behalf. It will be time well spent.

I'll Be Home For Christmas

I'll be home for Christmas
You can plan on me
Please have snow and mistletoe
And presents on the tree

Christmas Eve will find me
Where the lovelight gleams
If only in my dreams

You can plan on me
Please have snow and mistletoe
And presents on the tree

Christmas Eve will find me
Where the lovelight gleams
If only in my dreams

Link Posted: 12/12/2003 7:58:59 AM EDT
I heard the story of that song's origin a few years ago. Never fails to give me chills.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:01:24 AM EDT
Good stuff.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 4:16:46 AM EDT
BTT for the weekenders.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 4:42:12 AM EDT
I did not know that.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 4:50:50 AM EDT
amen, brohawk. amen. pray for the soldiers, commanders and teh people we're liberating as well. and lets not forget the president, vice president, sec. of defense, nsa, congress. the guys on the ground need their backing in this difficult time and task. you are on the spot with this one.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:47:49 AM EDT
I remember walking perimeter guard around a motor pool in Germany on Christmas Eve. It was cold and muddy. I was carrying a 'Prick-77' and somebody played that song over the tactical net. Suddenly it didn't seem so cold. That's been my favorite Christmas song ever since.
Top Top