Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2001 7:04:22 PM EDT
i like the fn, over 90 countrys can't be wrong. i like the m14 better than the hk, but, the fal rules!! what do you think?
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 7:09:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh geez, not this again!  Do a search on this and you will get every opinion imaginable.  Of course the smart thing is to get 'em all.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 7:12:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#3]
yeah, sorry, i know, but what the heck, it's time to get the folks 'fired' off again. by the way, i am looking for a nice m1a for my owneself. what i really don't like is any of the hk's, having owned and fired them all. dang! i just can't seem to stop from getting people pissed off can i?
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#4]
mini 14? hmmm. lets see--- yup, i useta own one. hmmm kinda a p.o.s. until i glassed in the action using brownells accra glass.(took two different glasses') surprised the heck out of me by getting close to a m.o.a. at a 'hunnerd; yards. my buddy has one, a stainless. and we both gave up trying to sight it in at a 'hunnerd'. when you can wiggle the action in the stock about an 1/8 inch each way,-----not to terribly accurate. yeah, they shoot ok, but my brother bought mine and shot a bunch of chinese norinco thru it, then he cleaned the barrel, and not the action and it was locked up solid about 2 months later. we broke it loose with a friggin' rubber mallet!! he also changed stocks because of the kalifornication laws, i believe it was a butler creek stock, and ended up with the same terrible accuracy that i had originally.(originally, it had a folding stock) i am a die hard ar15 fanatic, and my larger caliber choice is the fal. the only two rifles that are worth owning!!
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 7:47:35 PM EDT
[#6]
paul, i humbly bow to you, oh great one. i am just kidding around also. (nice collection!)
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 3:50:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Here's what you can make a plain old HK-91 into.

HK-91 PSG1-forgery:
- Swarovski ZFM 10x42T Scope
- PSG1 stock
- PSG1 trigger-group
- PSG1 pistol-grip
- wide forearm
- light bipod
- paddle mag release
- 1200 meter sight
- carry handle
- claw scope mount
- port buffer
[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=258760&a=10577068&p=46196521[/img]
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 3:59:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Similar topic:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=21814
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/027/MS/uZ/wE/v780970.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 4:51:45 AM EDT
[#9]
1, 2, 3, or more of each is highly recommended.  Like it was stated earlier, each for different reasons.  I love them all and couldn't live without multiples of each.  

Better get that M1A...

enjoy,

fuatos
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 6:38:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Here we go again.  Get a good reliable example(s) of each.  You can't go wrong.  Try firing them all, borrow them from a buddy etc.  This is part of the fun, trying to decide which one.  It is a little like dating. Then get the one that tickles your fancy.  Guns are a little like woman, all of us has a different view.  While most of us can only afford to have one woman, there is nothing against one of each, FAL, HK, M14.  How about AR10? And after that, get a BUNCH of magazines.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 6:41:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 6:53:28 AM EDT
[#12]
It`s hard for me to pick between the FAL and M1A/14. I think the M1A has better accuracy potential and you can shoot match ammo in them. The Fal you are sorta stuck with lightwieght bullets and milsurp
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 5:48:43 PM EDT
[#13]
[size=5]Warlord,
Well said ![/size=5]
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 6:16:21 PM EDT
[#14]
A while back 3 of us got together to shoot. M1A, FN-FAL, and a G3 COPY were all present. All 3 were fired with the same ball ammo. The M1A much to my pleasure out shot the others. In case you have not guessed the M1A is mine. However, all things considered, I would take the FN-FAL. The cost was at least 1/2 of the M1A. MAgs are ALOT cheaper. And the difference in groups were not that large. Also I like the saftey much better of the FN-FAL. Just my options!
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 7:16:42 PM EDT
[#15]
i am suddenly re-inlove with my fal- 18" congo/ argie.  gotta arms top cover with a#19a throw and my 2x compact acog.  vortex f/s and i feel like sucha bad-azz carrying it again....m1a's are cool until you have to clean them and the 91's have a weird stock and kick to much in comparison.  FAL wins -

ahh, falling in love again....

steve
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 10:11:23 PM EDT
[#16]
M1A, FAL and AR15. In that order.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 4:41:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Steve M,

What's so bad about cleaning an M1A? The only thing I wish I could change about mine is having to use the rod from the muzzle. Other than that it's no harder to clean than any other rifle I've used, and a lot easier than some (i.e., AR15.)
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 5:12:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 5:57:00 AM EDT
[#19]
nh2112-

for me it was knowing that with each cleaning the rifle was becoming more inaccurate.  it just seemed weird that maintenance was going to cause damage vs. help the rifle

steve
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 8:46:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By steve m:
nh2112-

for me it was knowing that with each cleaning the rifle was becoming more inaccurate.  it just seemed weird that maintenance was going to cause damage vs. help the rifle

steve
View Quote

Is this only a problem with M14s/M1As, or does it happen with all rifles? My M1A's accuracy hasn't degraded one bit that I've noticed after almost 13 years and close to 8000 rounds through it. I don't clean it thoroughly all that often, though, and most of the time I just run a couple wet/dry patches through the bore and put it away until I have 500 rounds or so through it.

If your rifle maintenance is making your rifle more inaccurate, you're doing something [b]terribly[/b] wrong.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 11:34:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Many people clean their M1A's without a bore guide, and they end up dinging their crown, which will degrade accuracy.  You can get a good delrin one that just slips over the flash suppressor from Fulton Armory for cheap- will go a long way towards avoiding damage while cleaning.  And don't use sectional cleaning rods, use a good Dewey stainless.  Those two things alone will eliminate almost all of the damage caused by improper cleaning.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 4:02:03 PM EDT
[#22]
oh - my bad - left out one detail re: my post.  i used to have a super match m1a and in the owners' manuel.  s/a said not to clean the rifle by removing the trigger group and such.  only to clean thru the bore as it would upset the glass bedding.  needless to say i did take it apart a few times... but i did it very carefully.  ended up selling it to a buddy.  ah well, should never of sold it!! but poop happens

steve
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 5:31:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I like the M1A alot but I'd pick the HK over it in a shtf situation because I beleive it's more reliable in adverse conditions.All of the above are fine weapons,I'd pick what you can afford.The down fall to the M1A in my opinion is the wood stock and lack of a pistol grip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top