Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#1]
People do choose to use in the beginning, but when they get addicted, it's not a choice anymore.  Addiction is a brain disorder, your chemicals in your brain, dopamine, get screwed up, and you loose control.

Cocaine increases dopamine levels in the brain.  It floods the receptor sites with massive levels of dopamine and your brain feels "high".  After a while your brain quits making dopamine on it's own because you have been flooding it with drugs.  So when the addict tries to quit, his brain can't manufacture dopamine anymore and thats where the cravings come from.  So addiction is a brain chemical disorder, and you treat it like a disease.

Addiction is just another disease, like cancer or any other biological disease.  It's not a "choice"  These people don't choose to become addicts.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 11:02:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I have been in a similar position with an employee, and will pass along what little wisdom I have gained from the experience:

1.  Your heart is in the right place by wanting to help him, but it is probably too late.  He is augering in fast if he is skipping work, and unless he is truly serious and asking you for help you will end up firing him.  If he seems halfhearted about cleaning up, get rid of him now and save yourself the hassle.

2.  If you do decide to keep him, immediately remove him from any work duties involving machinery, automobiles, inventory, or financial transactions.  Give him a (short) time limit to enter treatment, and demand documentation of his continued participation.  Make sure he understands that he has ONE chance to clean up.  Random drug tests are a possibility, but you must be careful to follow any legalities concerning worker's rights and privacy.  Consult an attorney versed in workers rights laws in your state.

3.  Make sure you understand one thing - now that you are aware of his impairment, you will be held liable for any damage or injury done by him while on the clock or using any company equipment.  Regardless of #1 or #2 above, weigh that liability carefully and cut him loose if his value to your company does not compensate.

FWIW, I ended up firing my employee.  I run a pharmacy, and mainly due to #3 above I cut her loose.  Drug users working in a pharmacy is not justifiable from a liability viewpoint, too many worries about theft.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like its time for him to move on...
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I would fire him, but that has more to do with him taking off for days rather than the fact that he does cocaine. In my mispent youth there was a time that I did cocaine for about a year or so, but I always showed up for work and did what I had to do. I did not cause any work related problems.

If one my employees did not show up to work for a few days without calling in and having a good reason, they would be gone and I wouldn't care what they were doing (drugs, alcohol, nothing).
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 1:18:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Weed yes,  nose candy, NO!!!!
View Quote

Screw that, I can't take this "weed is nothing" BS.  I've known heroin and crack junkies who I could trust better with my stuff than pot heads.  
View Quote

You sir are either misinformed,  or a liar.

Possibley a little of both maybe???
View Quote

I am neither, instead I am someone who has seen alot of shit in life.  Throughout the people I have known in life, some of the closest have been addicted to heroin and other were addicted to crack.  I also knew pot heads and drunks.  All of them commited serious crimes to feed their addictions, but of all people heroin addicts have been the most responsible (yes being a responsible junkie is a contradiction, but they were better off than stoners).
View Quote

If a pot-head steals in order to get more weed, it has more to due with him having a weak moral since and/or a predisposition to crime than his pot use. Pot is NOT physically addictive; meth and heroin are, however, and the physical need for the drug can overcome one’s rational thought processes and make them do things they otherwise wouldn’t do.

I know plenty of pot users and none of them are what I would consider “hardened criminals” by any means. If someone steals for pot, they are mostly doing it because they didn’t have much of a problem with stealing in the first place. Also, it is impossible to get a good picture of any particular group of people based only on the limited number of people you have met. Just because one pot user is also a thief, doesn’t mean they all are.

On the original subject: I would have told you to not come down on him too hard at first, unless it is affecting his job. However, since you mention that it IS interfering with work, can his ass if he doesn’t shape up soon. People should be free to do what they want on their own time, but when it starts interfering with their work it DOES become your business.
View Quote

Well I will admit, junkies are more likely to be untrustworthy, it might be the theif stoners I know have less moral character than usual.  

I pretty much got into this arguement because I feel his continued employment should be judged on the person himself and that it doesn't matter if it was weed or coke.  Anything can be extremely addictive for someone on a mental level.  Different people use drugs differently.  Any intoxicant is a drug and should be treated as such.  Judge each case individually.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Drug Addiction is a Disease.

Would you fire your friend if he had cancer?
View Quote

WTF?!?!?

You've got to be kidding me.

When are people going to start being held accountable for their actions.  I understand additions, but people CHOOSE to use coke/pot/crack/alcohol/etc... in the first place.  Not many people choose to have cancer.
View Quote

HKocher nailed it. Sure, prediliction to addiction is genetic, meaning some people are much more prone to become addicted to substances when they use them then other people BUT you have to use. Everyone knows that these drugs are addictive. If you are an alcoholic or have had problems with substance abuse it is your own damn fault for trying another ADDICTIVE drug. Just like losing weight prevents heart disease and diabetes, and not smoking basically means no chance of lung cancer, the same goes for the disease of addiction. Ensuring that you don't use the drugs in the first place guarantees you will not get the "disease" of addiction.

Back to the main point, I would support the guy as a friend if he is a childhood friend. I would never cut loose one of the guys I grew up with who is like a brother to me. I also would not allow him to work at my business during that time, either, but I would help him.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 1:29:55 PM EDT
[#7]
3.  Make sure you understand one thing - now that you are aware of his impairment, you will be held liable for any damage or injury done by him while on the clock or using any company equipment.  Regardless of #1 or #2 above, weigh that liability carefully and cut him loose if his value to your company does not compensate.
View Quote

This is HUGE! I hate attornies as much as any American who is not one, but unfortunately they control a lot of decisions we have to make. You are liable if he cuts his hand off on a band saw while high on coke. He has told you he is using. You unfortunately will need to get an attorney to help with this if you do not plan on firing him.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 3:31:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks to all that have expressed their opinion. It is much appreciated. I have expressed my concern for the well being of my friend but can no longer continue to employ him due to many of the reasons many of you have expressed. I pleaded/told him I hoped that he seek treatment quickly but the final decision is his. My dissapointment of him cannot be expressed in words.

The only positive is that he has no family to support so it mainly affects himself.

Happy holidays to all of you.

Wash AR 15
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 4:28:30 PM EDT
[#9]
NO!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#10]
so I don't get the job? I'm not picky!
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 5:51:47 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

[rolleyes]

When was the last time you heard of a CANCER PATIENT robbing people to get money to feed their habit.

That had rank up their with probably one of the stupidest things I have ever read,  it really does.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Addiction is just another disease, like cancer or any other biological disease.  It's not a "choice"  These people don't choose to become addicts.
View Quote

Bullsh-t.  They choose to use drugs!
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 7:21:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Theres a big difference, I know alot of junkies who subconciously who wanted to become what they became.  They thought being a junkie was cool because it was bad ass.  When I saw one friend spike his arm with dope, he knew what was going to happen. Afterwards he regretted it, but he still chose his road in life, someone with cancer is different.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top