Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2001 6:32:06 PM EDT
After months of waiting and sweating through the presidential elections, I finally got my AR kit ordered earlier this evening![:D]

I ordered one of Model 1 Sales 20" AR kits.  Now the only hold up is finding a FFL holder on the west side of Phoenix who can do the transaction.  So far, I have found only one who would give me a unequivical yes- but he wanted $30 for his fee- is this a reasonable price?  I seem to recall people here saying that $15-20 dollars was the reasonable fee for a transfer.

I am going to get one of the Rock River Arms lowers that Gunsmoke is selling for $110.  One way or the other I'll be ordering it in the next few days.

Next stop, magazines and ammo! Whoo hoo![:P]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 6:42:40 PM EDT
[#1]
$30?  Man that's alot of money for a phone call!  $10-$15 is the going rate in my neck of the woods, there is one that even does them for $5!  Of course I know most of the dealers around my area.
Congrat's on the AR as well!

Edited 'cause I'm having trouble with syntax tonight.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#2]
IF/WHEN you REALLY order a kit, you will find direct shipping of same is 100% LEGAL, as it is NOT a firearm...

In the case of the AR 15, the lower receiver is the firearm, and THAT part is what must be transferred via FFL...

Link Posted: 5/11/2001 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Hmmmmmmmm....interesting.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#4]
ArmdLbrl -

Welcome to the world of AR building!  Be sure to check out the "Build it Yourself" forum here.  Lots of info in there.

I am assuming that you are refering to the lower when you talk about a transfer but in case your not - as CarVet said - you don't need a dealer involved with the kit from Model 1.  Call em back and change the shipping address if you are having it sent to a dealer - no need.

For the lower - you do need an FFL holder and it is a phone call and some paper work so they do charge something.  $30 is a little high if you can find somebody to do it for less.  If not - don't let 10 - 15 bucks stand between you and a real charge building your own.

BTW - the kits from Model 1 are excellent and the uppers come completely assembled and headspaced so all you have to do is install the trigger group, stock, grip, etc. on the lower and your in business.

Be careful though if this is your first build.  You can launch the little pins and springs if your not careful - especially when installing the front takedown detent pin and spring.  They make a little tool that looks like a round allen wrench for this task and you can find them at gun shows sometimes or you could call Model 1 back and have them add one to your order.

Give us a full report when you have 'er together and take 'er to the range!

[sniper]
[b]The Sniper
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#5]
How much is a kit from Model 1?  Maybe I shouldn't ask this as if FAL kit building wasn't already enough......
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:16:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Model 1's kits are $400 dollars plus tax.

They seem to be very good kits for making a general sporting/defense AR.  I'll have to improve a long ways in my shooting before the difference (if any) between it and a Bushy or Armilite becomes noticable.  They have gotten generally good marks from the people here who have used them before.  The biggest beef against them seems to be that they dont use chrome-lined barrels.  I clean my guns and I live in Arizona with no plans to head for Cambodia soon so I should be alright[;)]

Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How much is a kit from Model 1?  Maybe I shouldn't ask this as if FAL kit building wasn't already enough......
View Quote

Wadman - for around 5 Ben Franklins you can have "The Black Rifle" and a whole lot of shooting fun not to mention a premier home defense/tyranny defense weapon!

Jump on the wagon and enjoy the ride!!

[sniper]
[b]The Sniper
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:44:56 PM EDT
[#8]
The instructions on the old AR forum are great. Used em and built my first lower in about 20 minutes. Congrats and welcome to the club!

Aviator
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 9:34:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Model 1's kits are $400 dollars plus tax.
The biggest beef against them seems to be that they dont use chrome-lined barrels.  I clean my guns and I live in Arizona with no plans to head for Cambodia soon so I should be alright[;)]
View Quote

Chrome-lined barrels will last longer, i.e. you can shot more rounds thru them, and they are a little easier to clean.  I spoke with Bushmaster a few years back, and they have an AR that has shot 20,000 rounds and counting.  I think without the chrome-lining, I have heard that barrels will last about 7,000 rounds.  I have never been able to verify that figure.  Maybe you can order a Bushmaster chrome-lined barrel, and sell your unlined one, or keep it as a spare.

Listen to The Snipers advice about those itty-bitty pins & springs, and assemble your toy on a clean work bench, and wear eye-protection, some of those springs are pretty powerful.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Go to shotgunnews.com. I think there is an area that you can enter your zip code to find local dealers, or somethnig like that. It might give you more of a selection.
Eric
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 8:46:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Oh thanks, I have yet to find a store yet on shotgunnews.com that was even in the phone book, which is what I was using before.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top