Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2003 7:14:53 AM EDT
Ah, yes, the liberal teachers, at it again.....even in my kids' public schools here in the PR of MA, Xmas carols are being sung, w/ no changes of wording. WTF???

Taking 'Christmas' Out of Holiday Jingles

Thursday, December 11, 2003

BETHEL, Wash. — A music teacher's decision to replace "Christmas" with "winter" in a recent concert carol has many residents up in arms.

Music teacher Mark Denison of Clover Creek Elementary School in Bethel, Wash., changed the lyrics in Dale Wood's "Carol from an Irish Cabin" to read: "The harsh wind blows down from the mountains and blows a white winter to me," reported the News Tribune.

Parent Darla Dowell, whose 7-year-old daughter sang the song, told the Tribune the decision was "absurd."

She couldn't understand why it's okay to exclude Christmas when her daughter still sang Hanukkah tunes that included lyrics about the "mighty miracle" of Israel's ancient days.

The Tribune reported that while school officials admitted Denison went too far in trying not to offend some people, they stuck with his idea.

"In the past, there has been a lot of sensitivity to not giving preference to one religion over the other," district spokesman Mark Wenzel told the Tribune.

Most school districts in the region, including Bethel's, allow both religious and secular songs to be performed during the holidays. Students at other schools in the district are still singing both types of songs, Mike Sander, director of arts education, told the Tribune.

The policies of allowing both types of music comes from court rulings that say holiday traditions can be taught if the purpose is to provide secular instruction rather than promoting religion, the Tribune reported.

Clover Creek officials said kids could get confused if the lyrics are changed back to the original version after having practiced the new version for a month.
"They're making no attempt to fix the situation," Dowell told the Tribune.

But the word "Christmas" did get slipped into one song that was performed -- in Benjamin Hanby's song, "Up to the Housetop." Dowell argued that school officials are contradicting themselves.

"I've never made a stink about anything in my life," she told the Tribune. "But I feel very strongly about this."
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:33:37 AM EDT
[#1]
...burn the witch
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:49:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Thats retarded
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:55:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't think it rises to the level of stupidity. The more ignorant and personally weak a person is, the more he grasps for the exercise of petty power over others. That's what this was. The smug, dense bitch drove home the afternoon she issued her decree congratulating herself for taking charge and fantasizing about the impending humiliation of the unwashed fundie parents of those children for whom she is building a better, saner world.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 8:05:39 AM EDT
[#4]
For cripes sake, we sure wouldn't want to hurt somebodys feeling now would we?[whacko]  The PC bullshrimp in this country has gone WAAAY to far.  I'm going to go out on a binge to offend everyone at least once today.  We should have a national none PC day to commemorate the good old days![:d]

edit:  oh yes, everybody have a merry winter!
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 8:10:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Newspeak baby, newspeak!

NsB
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 8:10:53 AM EDT
[#6]
what a lame bunch of bs, fire the jerk
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 8:23:43 AM EDT
[#7]
You know, not even in Communist East Germany did they try to ban Christmas. And come to think of it, even in the USSR did they celebrate their traditional Christmas. So now Mass. wants to be more communist than the Communists?
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 8:28:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 8:45:33 AM EDT
[#9]
The parents should tell the kids to practice singing "winter".

Then at the concert, sing "christmas".

Screw the teacher.

Link Posted: 12/11/2003 8:53:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Read David Limbaugh's book "Persecution". Not only will it make you sick, it will tell you that this is NOTHING new. Been going on coast to coast for YEARS. Not just in public schools either. It documents example after example, case after case, of how things like this have been occuring in primary education, 'higher' (sometimes seems like just 'high') education, courts, etc.

There are countless examples where Christmas activites have been renamed "winter" whatever to just outright cancelled. The word 'Christ' removed or substituted in songs, etc while teaching Hannakah and Kwanaza (sp?), etc. There was one example where students were threatened with suspension if they didn't participate in 'other' traditions like the ones listed above while being FORBIDDEN to sing a song with the word 'Christ' in it (or face the same suspension).

Makes me sick, and very very sad. We are swirling in the toliet bowl of liberalism and nobody seems TOO upset. Our lifestyle is heading down the drain like a turd heading to the sewer system, destined to join the rest of the refuge of our society.

Yes, David is Rush's brother.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 9:37:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You know, not even in Communist East Germany did they try to ban Christmas. And come to think of it, even in the USSR did they celebrate their traditional Christmas. So now Mass. wants to be more communist than the Communists?
View Quote

That's as may be, but the incident in the story takes place in Washington state.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That's as may be, but the incident in the story takes place in Washington state.
View Quote

Right; I've read your "here in the PR of MA" wrong.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:05:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Right; I've read your "here in the PR of MA" wrong.
View Quote

Well, get this- I went to my kids' elementary school PTO volunteers meeting this AM and the principal, a downstate NY liberal, referred to the Xmas holiday program as the "winter solstice festival", but very quickly added when she heard some grumbling (not just from me....), that there would be lots of singing of (Indian) Diwali, Hanukah and Xmas songs and celebrations in the program.....

So yes, like the old saying goes, "think globally, but act locally". Let the clowns who work on your dime know when you are unhappy with their policies. Short of aiming a rifle at them, telling them you want change does get results.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:24:22 AM EDT
[#14]
What a lamer
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:37:44 AM EDT
[#15]
[Bing Crosby] I'm dreaming of a white WINTER...[/Bing Crosby]

Just doesn't sound the same.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:44:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
[Bing Crosby] I'm dreaming of a white WINTER...[/Bing Crosby]

Just doesn't sound the same.
View Quote

Weeeeeell, there's no I in team, so that's out, white is probably offensive to non-whites, and winter, how about those whose ancestors came not from Europe but from Africa, where there is no winter? Offensive!

"Weeeee are possibly, butcertainlynotdrug-induced, dreaming (notinaChristianway!) of a diveeeerse seeeeaaason..."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top