Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2001 5:40:44 PM EDT
I was wondering if you can over dry the air in your safe, or in my case, gun cabnet. I put six 5oz packets of silica gel in my cabnet because I've noticed some rust around the barrel of my AR and on my Mini-14.

A few hours after I opened the cabnet and the air inside was cold and dry. I live next to the laundy area in my apartment and it gets pretty humid in my apratment. Its not going to hurt to have that much silica gel in there is it?

Interior volume of the case is about 7sq feet, and I read that 500 grams which is about 17 ounces will cover 37 sq feet. But I like overkill. Also, how long will it take before I have to recharge them? They didnt come with a color changing indicator or anyhting.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer a goldenrod.  One thing about dessicant.  You need to recharge them often because they will eventually hold water.  If you don't dry them out,  you are basically storing packs of water in your safe.  

Goldenrod all the way.

Link Posted: 5/11/2001 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#3]
When your stocks start to look like raisens, then you're using too much.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree with thebeekeeper, on the "midway cans", you can easily tell when they need recharging, just pop them in the 'ole oven for a couple of hours.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 6:35:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a Golden Rod and also have the guns in a silicone gun bag, the bags prevent nicking and protects the bluing.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 8:49:23 PM EDT
[#7]
If you open the door and you shrivel up and fall into a pile of dust like that guy at the end of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, then you are using too much desicant.  [:)]
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 10:32:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Put 6 Midway cans in last week and when I checked on them today, all my rifles had shrunk to about 2" long! Seriously, you can use as much as you want with no problem.[:)]
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 11:42:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Two questions:

-Are my hunting rifles that hang on the wall being damaged by humidity?

-Were can I buy dessicant?

stubbs™
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#10]
You are using too much dessicant if you think that that's all you have to do.  had a buddy keep tossing in more and more, but still getting rust.  Had to explain about things like "maximum moisture capacity" and the need to oven dry them on occasion.

Still, maybe the fact that the basement he was storing them in with 1" of standing water had something to do with it?
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 11:56:08 AM EDT
[#11]
our local hardwarew store sells this quart bucket looking thingy that you dump the dessicant into and it absorbes water.  it eventually "melts" down into a goo in the bottom of bucket and they sell replacemet packages for a couple bucks.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 11:59:41 AM EDT
[#12]
stubbs, try here for dessicant:
[url]http://www.desiccare.com/[/url]

CH
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 12:04:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#14]
To much can damage wood, other than that no.

In humid conditions, you need to have good ventilation, otherwise condensation
forms with change in temperature.  Also a quality oil needs to cover all the metal
surfaces of the firearm, you can’t have to much oil.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 12:17:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top