Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2003 10:16:39 PM EDT
How stupid can you get? As a Captain she was probably making close to $150,000.00 a year! She needs to pirate movies to get by?
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 10:22:17 PM EDT
[#1]
got a link?
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 10:24:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
got a link?
View Quote

Looking. Saw it on the CBS news at 6PM, and the Fox 11 news at 10PM. Surprisingly Kcal9 doesnt have it on their page.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:40:08 AM EDT
[#3]
FELONY!!!! She should ROT in prison for life, or at least have her 2nd amendment (right to defend herself) and the right to vote taken away for EVER!

If you don't like the law, then change it. otherwise she should ROT! No if's and's or but's.

The good news is cop's made it home safely and another felon is off the streets. As we all know felons will likely murder or sell drugs to children. Wheeew...Glad they got her!
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:45:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#5]
LAPD Captain Busted for Alleged Sale of Pirated Movies

A Los Angeles police captain with 28 years at the department was arrested at the Hollywood Area station today for allegedly selling pirated and counterfeit DVD movies.

Julie D. Nelson, 52, was booked at the La Palma Police Department after investigators there found more than 100 DVDs of mostly current titles in her home in that Orange County community, said LAPD First Assistant Chief Jim McDonnell.

Nelson, who has "had a very successful career," has been relieved of all police duties and assigned to her home pending further investigation, McDonnell said.

"She worked through the ranks," he said. "She got into the rank of captain, which few people do."

Nelson, who joined the department in 1975 after graduating from the academy, is charged with two felony counts under the California Penal Code: failing to disclose the origin of a recording or audiovisual work; and possession for sale and sale of a counterfeit trademark or registered mark.

The Los Angeles and La Palma police departments, [b]the Encino-based Motion Picture Association of America[/b] and the Orange County District Attorney's Office opened a joint undercover investigation last week.

That came after a tip from a confidential source to LAPD's Professional Standards Bureau, McDonnell said.

He said he does not know how long Nelson allegedly sold counterfeit movies. The embarrassing arrest for the LAPD came five days after the mayor, the city attorney and a City Council member held a news conference to say movie pirates will not be tolerated in Los Angeles after Jan. 1.

"Today, we're sending a message that if you get caught stealing a movie you will go to jail," Council member Wendy Greuel said outside City Hall last Thursday.

Mayor Jim Hahn also warned that the new law will "send a powerful message that anyone who records a motion picture illegally will be prosecuted."

McDonnell said the investigation and arrest of Nelson make clear that "when the (LAPD) receives information that one of its own is breaking the law, regardless of rank, we will pursue every lead using every available resource."
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 11:33:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 11:36:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I assume the movie industry is only too happy to see this chick get burned.

If it's true, what an idiot.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:16:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's a FELONY! [shock]

Man I thought NY had a law for everything, California's penal code must take a wheelbarrow to move!

I can't believe she was selling them for a profit, that's crazy. If she has that little discretion or that much greed it's probably a good thing they are getting rid of her.

Ah! The movie industry has enough yank there to get this felonisized and enforced. I can't imagine most DA's offices getting excited about prosecuting these.
View Quote

I believe there is also a federal law to that effect. Next time you pop in a DVD check out the warning message.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:23:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How stupid can you get? As a Captain she was probably making close to $150,000.00 a year! She needs to pirate movies to get by?
View Quote

Hey, 150,000 a year ain't crap in Ka.

She has to make ends meet, make the payments on her beemer and nordstrams credit card.

I was at a flea market once and saw the DA's task force in action.They had a flunky with a dolly and empty boxes going around confiscating bootleg vids.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#10]
copyright violations can carry a $250,000 fine and/or jail time. I remember reading it on some of my computer games when I first got into gaming
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 3:58:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I make less than $80,000.00 a year and own a nice house on a large plot in south Orange County. I have three cars, two of them are less than two years old. We still have enough cash that I can buy all the guns , ammo, knives, flashlights, & accessories I want.  My wife is even able to stay home with the lids. If I can get by on $80K, a Captain living in North Orange county (AKA the ghetto)can certainly get by.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:16:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I make less than $80,000.00 a year and own a nice house on a large plot in south Orange County. I have three cars, two of them are less than two years old. We still have enough cash that I can buy all the guns , ammo, knives, flashlights, & accessories I want. [red] My wife is even able to stay home with the lids[/red]. If I can get by on $80K, a Captain living in North Orange county (AKA the ghetto)can certainly get by.
View Quote

I remember when we could get lids for $20. They must be pretty expensive now if your wife has to stay home to guard them.[:D]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:35:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I make less than $80,000.00 a year and own a nice house on a large plot in south Orange County. I have three cars, two of them are less than two years old. We still have enough cash that I can buy all the guns , ammo, knives, flashlights, & accessories I want. [red] My wife is even able to stay home with the lids[/red]. If I can get by on $80K, a Captain living in North Orange county (AKA the ghetto)can certainly get by.
View Quote

I remember when we could get lids for $20. They must be pretty expensive now if your wife has to stay home to guard them.[:D]
View Quote

Lids, meaning hats, he's probably got some groovy velvet ones, that need to be brushed.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:59:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
copyright violations can carry a $250,000 fine and/or jail time. I remember reading it on some of my computer games when I first got into [red]copying games[/red].
View Quote

[shock]

[;)]

Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:34:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Does this mean that if you ENFORCE the law, you must also OBEY it?  What an interesting concept!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top