Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2003 4:54:47 PM EDT
Mine has got to be the year I got my Daisy Buffalo Bill bb gun when I was 7. I thought I was the shit. There wasn't a bird or a cat safe in the neighborhood. I still have it. My dad sent it off to Daisy several years ago and had new seals put in it. I use it to keep the squirrels run off that get in the bird feeder.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:01:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I remember a long box behind a tree. It was a M-1 Carbine early war edition. It was in awesome shape. It was so cool to get.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#2]
To this day it would probably be the christmas where myself and my brother got a few Tonka trucks for christmas. A bean bag chair too. nothing to extravagent, but my mom was single then, and I know it must have been a year of saving for her. Makes me all misty eyed when I think of it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:27:05 PM EDT
[#3]
The best memory is my dear late Father setting up my old 1950s Lionel train set around the Christmas tree for me every year. I would play with it for hours through the season.

I remember him fighting with the track pins, and all the connections, so the thing would run perfectly, and all the cars would do what they were supposed to; dump the logs, unload the barrels, the locomotive had smoke pellets.

I can't even look at an old train set without remembering Dad now.

Thanks Dad.

I still love toy trains.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:41:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I was 7, so it's a few years short of 50 years ago. I received a plastic wind up rabbit and a double barreled shotgun dartgun. The rabbit had a double pivot feature that intermittantly dragged and made the rabbit move in random patterns.I must have shot that rabbit several thousand times until the gun catches just plain wore out and wouldn't retain the darts anymore.
Mom hated guns of any kind so getting that for me must have tore her up.But it was a happy Christmas for me that year.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Getting my first BB Gun....the day I thought I had entered man hood.

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:55:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Going to the service in the small 12th century village church, then coming home to a big dinner and then dancing around the lit tree singing psalms.  (and when I say lit, I mean real candles, none of this newfangled electric light bullshit).

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#7]
6 years old and I got my first gun. Later that day we shot it a bunch. Swatting mosquitoes on a hot south Louisiana Christmas day. Turkey and gumbo for dinner.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:18:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I was probably 5 or 6, my Mom and I fresh in AL from the divorce.  Not poor, but DEFINITELY counting change, I had no bike.  All the kids in our apt. complex had one but me.  She would occasionally ask them if they knew of one for sale, and my hopes would rise, but still no bike.  Come Christmas morning, the most WONDERFUL orange-painted BMX bike was under the tree.  Even at that age, I understood the sacrifice that this took, and I broke down in tears.  It took all my Mom had to provide that bike to me, and I will ALWAYS regard that as a hallmark in my life.  My kids have NO concept that they have NO CONCEPT of how lucky they are, but they ARE giving.  My little girl bought a toy today, with her own money, to donate along with me to a local women's shelter.  It's the Orange Bike again...a sacrifice, but a sacrament at the same time.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:22:25 PM EDT
[#9]
So, Paul. Was that the year that she dropped you on your head?[;D]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So, Paul. Was that the year that she dropped you on your head?[;D]
View Quote

No, that was at birth, Dave.  Over the years, she would occasionally dangle me from balconies. though, to assert he authoritahhhh.  The concave currently in my cabeza is due to me racking my brain teying to figgur out why folks live in TN!!![:D]
[img]http://www.poster.net/south-park/south-park-cartman-4001497.jpg[/img]

EDITED TO ADD: I am not going to tey and fix my typing errors above.  I am drinking GIN tonight, and I fear I'd bugger it up even worse.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:34:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Watching Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer.....from the top of the couch! That Bumble the snow monster used to scare the crap out of me when he popped out from behind that snowy mountain!

Man....how old was I.......18 maybe!
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:53:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't know how old I was but I got a set of cowboy six shooters that used the rolled paper caps. I also got a rifle that used the same type of caps. Between me and my folks we had us a shootout on Christmas morning that filled the living room up with smoke.

sigh............
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:11:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Wakin' up in the middle of the night on Christmas Eve, and sneakin' my presents into my room, unwrapping them real careful like and seeing what "Santa" got me. Then wrapping 'em back up and putting them back under the tree and going back to sleep.
AB
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:18:58 PM EDT
[#14]
The very same year I wanted a BB gun(and got it) was the same year the Movie "A Christmas Story" came out. I don't think I slept a wink the whole week of Christmas trying to figure out which gift under the tree was going to be the BB gun. I got a spring powered BB handgun and it became a permanent extension of my hand for the rest of the week. [8D]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#15]
The best Chritmas I remember the year isn't really important....it was the last time I saw my Grandfather alive he died 30 days later on my mothers birthday. Thats all I have to say about that!
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:23:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a lot of great memories, and one in particular which still makes me smile...I was about 10-11 years old and starting to take interest in "other stuff" when my older brothers gave me a gift-wrapped Playboy for Christmas [jump]

Once I realized what just I was holding in my anxious little hands [naughty], I quickly started to flip through my prized new gift, only to find that it had been carefully and completely edited of any "natural" shots of the female form-including the cartoons [pissed]

Crap, I think my brothers must have been ARFcom moderators-in-training and they didn't even know it [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top