Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:55:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Auguste Reymond makes a nice watch that could be an acceptable comprimise.
Deep discounts should be possible.

[img]www.augustereymond.com/PICS/LG712S003.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:09:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Citizen Skyhawk(Blue Angels) and it was around $500 after tax. I tell ya, it's a nice watch but it's damn heavy. Many functions if you need them. Looks nice too.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 2:33:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been fond of Tissot watches ever since I got one in Switzerland in 1990.

I was so proud of myself - actually haggling with a Swiss watch store owner!

They work as they should, look nice and not everyone and their dog has one.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 2:44:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:34:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Chase Durer
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:41:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:44:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:07:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I can't believe I fell in the trap... I didn't say what I wanted it for.
Honestly, I never really thought of a watch being "for" something.  If I do spend $1k on a watch, it better be for everything.  From daily wear to going out at night to the rare (and I mean once every 2 years or so) occasions where I have to dress up.  But hell, these days I see people wearing expensive dive watches with suits simple because they're expensive.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:10:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:12:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Years ago I used to be into the fancy, quality mechanical watches.  One time, I was at a jeweler on 47th st, in NYC  (47th is the center of the jewelry business, all the wholesalers, etc.).  Looking at the complicated day/date/moonphase watches I asked the guy what woiuld be most reliable and best to use .  Mind you, I had been looking at Patek, Vacheron, etc.  He pointed to a Seiko which had all the features and said that's the one for use.  Everything else was to put into a vault for collectors to keep and admire.  If you want a watch to use, buy a Seiko.  Never buy a mechanical watch any longer unless you are skilled or have a friend who is - and I don't mean hobby-level skilled - who can maintain it.  Cleaning and lubricating is needed periodically and will eat you alive with the expense if you want it done right.  And, you have to be sure the person doing it knows what he/she is doing or you'll have a more expensive mess to deal with.  I would also recommend Citizen for special function watches, such as dive watches.  Citizen also has some new "designer" watches with the solar battery charging feature.  Tag-Heuers are very nice looking watches but are a joke at the price.  There is a certain level of quality you can achieve with a quartz movement, and anything above that is gouging for vanity.  Yeah, I know, it's so precise, so finely made, specially made, etc.  Anything above a Seiko level is nonsense.  It's sort of like brass for reloading.  You could machine it yourself, or buy hand made brass, or you could buy it from any of the top manufacturers.  There would be a huge difference in price with no difference in quality, other than cachet, especially if individually signed.  Not talking about special calibers.

As far as RTolex, they haven't made a really good watch in 25 years.  They do NOT make their own movements or parts, but assemble from parts made by others.  (To be accurate, thney make some of their parts, but not all or even half).  Their claim to fame was that they were better and tougher than the other watches of the time 30+ years ago.  And, of course mentioned in James Bond.  Everyone had to have one and the prices skyrocketed.  They don't keep time well.  I admit I am somewhat of a nut on that, but what is a watch for?  I can't see a multi thousand dollar watch which varies severl or more seconds a day.  My Seiko manages 20 seconds a year.  Did I ever have a Rolex?  Yes, I've gone through five or six, which I dumped for similar reasons. I was happy they were a fad, though, so I could get rid of them without suffering a loss.  Unless you want to play that game, avoid them.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:20:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:24:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Also, Citizen makes some nice watches for around $500

[url]http://www.watchzone.com/isroot/watchzone/Images/jr306059f.jpg[/url]

View Quote

I love the older model, particulary the NaviHawk which came in 3 configurations which  all had the blue bezel and yellow markings.

This place has decent prices-- about 1/2 of the manufacturer's list price of $395.
[url]http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/JN0040-58L.asp[/url]

I have this one:
[img]http://www.princetonwatches.com/images/watches/JN0040-58L.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:28:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Unless it is an automatic or manual movement do not spend more than about $100 max.
View Quote

That's BS. There are many high end watches that are not automatics... Breitling even makes a few.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:28:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:47:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
$1000 for a watch?  holy shit, you've got to be joking!!!!

hell, i get the time off of my motorola pager that i rent for $1 a month..............yep, still works, 7:13p.m. central

plus, if my pager breaks i get a new one free [:D]
View Quote

Ditto... my cell phone tells time
--RR
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:42:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unless it is an automatic or manual movement do not spend more than about $100 max.
View Quote

That's BS. There are many high end watches that are not automatics... Breitling even makes a few.
View Quote

I would have to agree with GF.  I don't want a battery.  To me part of having a nice watch is having a self-winding mechanism.  There's a difference between nice and expensive.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:55:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Omega Seamaster. I have one that was my great uncle's. The jewler said it was one of their first automatics called Omega Seamaster Automatic which came before kinetic's. Watch is 90% some scratches 18k gold, but still valued at $1500+.
Thanks great unlce Frank US Army WWII ![beer]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:18:04 AM EDT
[#18]
For everyday watches I wear Seiko's. I have a very nice chrono given to me by the wife as a wedding present, a plain stainless for work, and a "world time" self winder given to me by a friend after he returned from Nam. That's a beautiful watch, but requires a $100.00 cleaning frequently. For dress I have a Hamilton 1940's tank style watch from dad. He received it as a graduation present from Marquette in the late 40's....
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:18:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I hate to disagree with you RJR, but Rolex is one of the [b]very few[/b] houses that make their own movements.

As far as their ability to keep accurate time, well, they were the first wristwatch maker to be awarded a railroad certificate. That's why they were and still are so popular.
View Quote

Green_furniture,
What's a "railroad certificate"?
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 2:53:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Omega Seamaster....I have been drooling over this one for a few weeks now.[img]http://images.ashford.com/ash/p2007b.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:49:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Probably out of my league, but wow:
Model 903 St Aut
[img]http://www.sinnwatches.com/903StAutSilber.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:54:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
And those are [red]crappy three-dollar movements[/red] encased in overpriced jewelry. Breitling used to make a decent watch, but that was pre-1980.
View Quote

This proves you don't know what you are talking about. Please cite your source that Breitling uses $3 movements, to back up your bogus claim... [LOL]

PS: you can apply this statment about Breitling having "three-dollar automatic movements" too... But that still doesn't mean they actually cost $3.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:09:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:34:49 PM EDT
[#27]
$1K is not very much for a watch. I recently bought a IWC(international watch company) Flieglerchronograph(sp) NIB in Hong Kong for $2900. The watch retails for about $5K. If you are into chronograph or "pilot watches", I would say IWC is the way to go if you can afford it. Just something about the classy simplistic design of white on a black face and the brushed stainless steel. And for a mechanical movement, my IWC keeps great time. Gains about 1.5 seconds every day.

[url]www.iwc.ch[/url]

Now if you are into dress or complicated watches, IMHO nothing beats a Patek Philippe. Calatrava for simplicity or one of their many complicated watches that can cost six figures if you are into the "bling bling".

But in your price range, I would recommend an Omega or used IWC in good condition.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:02:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
And those are [red]crappy three-dollar movements[/red] encased in overpriced jewelry. Breitling used to make a decent watch, but that was pre-1980.
View Quote

This proves you don't know what you are talking about. Please cite your source that Breitling uses $3 movements, to back up your bogus claim... [LOL]

PS: you can apply this statment about Breitling having "three-dollar automatic movements" too... But that still doesn't mean they actually cost $3.
View Quote

Back up my claims? Ok. I've studied horology since 1982 and been an avid watch collector and member of the NAWCC for over 15 years. The quartz movements used in Breitling watches are base caliber ETA movements which list for between $2.35 and $9.87 depending on function, jewels and Incabloc in just about every horological supply catalog I have on hand. The automatic movements used in Breitling watches are either base ETA or Valjoux movements and they list for between $41.75 and $275.00, again depending on functions, jewels and shock protection used.

Edited to ad:
You're right. I'm sure that Breitling doesn't pay $3 for those movements. I'm pretty sure that the volume they buy them at they're getting them for a whole lot less. I mean, they are making roughly 600,000 watches a year with those movements so I would venture a guess that they're paying cents and not dollars per movement.
View Quote

Ok, then with your logic, nobody should pay more than [b]$137[/b] for an automatic watch since "you say" automatic movements only cost $40, and Breitling probably gets large volume discounts on those as well and probably only pay a couple pennies per movement... so we are all getting ripped off way more than if we buy the watches with the $3 movements.... Riiight.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:27:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Back up my claims? Ok. I've studied horology since 1982 and been an avid watch collector and member of the NAWCC for over 15 years. The quartz movements used in Breitling watches are base caliber ETA movements which list for between $2.35 and $9.87 depending on function, jewels and Incabloc in just about every horological supply catalog I have on hand. The automatic movements used in Breitling watches are either base ETA or Valjoux movements and they list for between $41.75 and $275.00, again depending on functions, jewels and shock protection used.

Edited to ad:
You're right. I'm sure that Breitling doesn't pay $3 for those movements. I'm pretty sure that the volume they buy them at they're getting them for a whole lot less. I mean, they are making roughly 600,000 watches a year with those movements so I would venture a guess that they're paying cents and not dollars per movement.
View Quote

Ok, then with your logic, nobody should pay more than [b]$137[/b] for an automatic watch since "you say" automatic movements only cost $40, and Breitling probably gets large volume discounts on those as well and probably only pay a couple pennies per movement... so we are all getting ripped off way more than if we buy the watches with the $3 movements.... Riiight.
View Quote

I don't hear him saying that at all.  What I hear him saying is that what you're paying for most of the time is the flash & not the substance

Incidentally, even if that IS what he's saying, as it stands right now he's about 10x more qualified to make that statement than you are.  But, then, we know from previous discussions that you don't understand the term qualified.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:58:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Back on topic, at your stated price point, I would not purchase any quartz watch.  My first choice would be an Omega Seamaster.  I'd also consider a Sinn.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 11:25:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Wow, 4 pages on watches and I actually read each post.
I thought my Movado was nice, but now I see so many other watches I like soooo much better.
Thank you Norman74 for starting this post.

Please let us know what you decide on in the end, I am curious.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 11:36:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Wow, 4 pages on watches and I actually read each post.
I thought my Movado was nice, but now I see so many other watches I like soooo much better.
Thank you Norman74 for starting this post.

Please let us know what you decide on in the end, I am curious.
View Quote

My problem is right now I can't afford any of the stuff I really like.  I guess I need to find a decent shop and go look.  It seems like with most things though the internet prices are going to be much better.  I'm not sure how to translate the shop price into an internet price.  I also tend to have problems in "nicer" stores with the sales fucks 'cause I don't dress like I have money, and they usually don't want to help the guy they don't think can afford their shit.  That always turns out badly too.

Does anyone know what the typical MSPR compared to real world retail is in a shop?  Online?  For example, Harleys almost always sell above MSRP, BMWs at, and Fords below.  Where do these types of watches fall?
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 11:47:15 AM EDT
[#33]
If they are an authorized dealer, they are usually at or near MSRP-- at least at the local DFW stores this is the case (for Breitling, Rolex, Tag, Omega, etc.).

Online is quite a bit different. Be careful of fakes-- go to a reputable place. Usually web sites are not authorized dealers, so you may not get the manufacturer's warranty.

Ashford.com used to (not sure if they still do) match the manufacturer's warranty because of this, at least for the Omega I was interested in. It looks like Ashford.com has its HQ in FL, so you may have to pay sales taxes if you order from them.... there are ways around this too.

Good luck...
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 12:40:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hate to disagree with you RJR, but Rolex is one of the [b]very few[/b] houses that make their own movements.

As far as their ability to keep accurate time, well, they were the first wristwatch maker to be awarded a railroad certificate. That's why they were and still are so popular.
View Quote

Green_furniture,
View Quote

I don't know about the railroad certificate, possibly something a long time ago.  The certificaate Rolex has come with for the past 30+ years is the Swiss Horological Institute's "Chronometer Certificate".  That attests to an accuracy of between -2 and +5 seconds a day.  That's not as accurate as a $35. Casio G-shock,
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 1:01:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Here are some neat watches [url]http://store.yahoo.com/timeworksonline/iwinwat.html[/url]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#36]
I admire guys who like to buy quality. I bought a titanium citizen for 165 bucks and I thought  that was a pretty nice watch.

My only problem with a 1K+ watch is that I beat the HELL out of my timepieces.  I have broken three G-Shock illuminators. So I would never buy a 1K timepiece because I'd wreck it.

I like the TAGS though. THey seem a little "tougher" than the other upscale watches.

crash
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 1:44:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Now THIS is a watch[url]http://www.tic-tock.com/php//DisplayWatch.php3?WRIST_WATCH_ID=12587[/url]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 4:30:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I admire guys who like to buy quality. I bought a titanium citizen for 165 bucks and I thought  that was a pretty nice watch.

My only problem with a 1K+ watch is that I beat the HELL out of my timepieces.  I have broken three G-Shock illuminators. So I would never buy a 1K timepiece because I'd wreck it.

I like the TAGS though. THey seem a little "tougher" than the other upscale watches.

crash
View Quote

I think this one should stand up ok, being the GSG9 watch & all.  Unfortunately it's $2200.
[url]http://www.sinnwatches.com/ezm1.htm[/url]
[img]http://www.sinnwatches.com/ezm1laying.jpg[/img]

This one is similar, but only $1200
[url]http://www.sinnwatches.com/ezm3.htm[/url]
[img]http://www.sinnwatches.com/ezm3sidebook.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:35:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Green_furniture,
View Quote

I don't know about the railroad certificate, possibly something a long time ago.  The certificaate Rolex has come with for the past 30+ years is the Swiss Horological Institute's "Chronometer Certificate".  That attests to an accuracy of between -2 and +5 seconds a day.  That's not as accurate as a $35. Casio G-shock,
View Quote

I think you've just defined "anachronism".  The value of a chronometer is that it was a reliable windable watch for use in navigation.  They didn't have batteries in the days that these watches were king and they still don't sell batteries on liferafts nor is the back easy to get off without the right tool.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#40]
How about this?

[img]http://members.home.nl/aai/pics/available/glycineairman36.jpg[/img]

Glycine Airman 24hs watch
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:12:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Here's one to take a look at.....

[url]http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/science/20031012-9999_1n12watch.html[/url]

....costs a little more than $1k though.

[;)]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:19:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Damn,

I never knew I was sooo working class.  I thought an expensive watch was a $229 Seiko Chrono or something like that.....

I'm just sick now, I think I'll just kill myself.

Oh yeah, I'm not that "keeping up with Jones's" I think I'll have a $.37 Mountain Dew and sit on my $40 recliner and play with my $1000 laptop while watching my $130 21" TV and playing with my used $230 S&W M65-3.

Oh and if I'm gonna spend $1000 on a watch it better be bullet proof, give blow jobs on command, and Never need batteries.  Oh if its not battery operated it better wind its own damn self.

Ahhhhh, but I digress I'm just trailer trash I guess.....for 80x that watch price, you'd have bought my house, oh well

Sorry, I'm just poor, dumb, and sore about it  

;)

Steven L.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:24:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
How about this?

[url]http://members.home.nl/aai/pics/available/glycineairman36.jpg[/url]

Glycine Airman 24hs watch
View Quote

That's awesome!  I like this one though
[img]http://www.chronomaster.co.uk/B47_Gly_Airman_7_a.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:28:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Damn,

I never knew I was sooo working class.  I thought an expensive watch was a $229 Seiko Chrono or something like that.....

I'm just sick now, I think I'll just kill myself.

Oh yeah, I'm not that "keeping up with Jones's" I think I'll have a $.37 Mountain Dew and sit on my $40 recliner and play with my $1000 laptop while watching my $130 21" TV and playing with my used $230 S&W M65-3.

Oh and if I'm gonna spend $1000 on a watch it better be bullet proof, give blow jobs on command, and Never need batteries.  Oh if its not battery operated it better wind its own damn self.

Ahhhhh, but I digress I'm just trailer trash I guess.....for 80x that watch price, you'd have bought my house, oh well

Sorry, I'm just poor, dumb, and sore about it  

;)

Steven L.
View Quote

Go here
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=217843&w=myTopicPop[/url]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Yup, much better looking [:)]

I just have a small wrist so the full size Airman will look ridiculous on me.

NsB
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 9:33:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Green_furniture,
View Quote

View Quote

I think you've just defined "anachronism".  The value of a chronometer is that it was a reliable windable watch for use in navigation.  They didn't have batteries in the days that these watches were king and they still don't sell batteries on liferafts nor is the back easy to get off without the right tool.
View Quote

That's why they make solar-rechargeable Citizens or Kinetic Seikos.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 9:46:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Norm,

If you go to [url=http://www.timezone.com]Timezone[/url] you'll find plenty of people who can give you recommendations for authorized dealers who'll give as much as 40% discount of MSRP.  It just takes a little research and polite inquiry.

You can also just purchase a nice quality Swiss automatic watch for $200-300 and wear it with pride until you can afford something nicer.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:22:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Kinda like this one? [:D]
My nice beater.

[img]http://cablemodem.fibertel.com.ar/nsbenitez1/ETA_Pilot.jpg[/img]
Only thing I'd change it is to make the sapphire crystal to be non reflective.

This are my next watch purchases (the order will be determined by my cash income next year)

[b]Ollech & Wajs MP 2824-2[/b]
[img]http://www.chronomaster.co.uk/B39_OW_MP_black_N.JPG[/img]

[b]SINN 656[/b]
[img]http://www.chronomaster.co.uk/Sinn_656_b.JPG[/img]

[b]Glycine Airman 8 36mm true 24hr[/b]
[img]http://members.home.nl/aai/pics/available/glycineairman36.jpg[/img]

Norman, if you go with a Glycine and want it to be a true 24 hr watch, you have to look for the /66-1 models, as the watches with the red GMT hour hand are not real 24 hour watches, just that red hand will rotate one time on a 24 hour time period, the hour hand will rotate twice as a regular watch.

NsB
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Tag or Chase Durer get my vote.  Quality, style, reliability.  Either of those are watches that will last the rest of your life.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top