Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/8/2003 2:26:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/8/2003 2:28:03 PM EDT by Greenhorn]
This is one of the funniest things I've ever heard of. Here at Miami University in Oxford Ohio, raffle tickets are being sold right now by some sorority group, and on Friday at 3:00, the lucky winners will get to throw pie at one of about 25 music professors! I don't particularly want to spend my money and not win so I'm not buying any tickets, but I'll sure be there with my camera!

All of the music professors I've taken classes with so far are great teachers who really, really know their stuff and I highly respect them. It'll be so great to see them get pied!
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:46:23 PM EDT
Let's not introduce that at my university! [:D]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:49:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DK-Prof: Let's not introduce that at my university! [:D]
View Quote
I thought the thread was going to be about you anyway, and it seems like a good fundraiser. plus sorority chicks will be involved.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:00:27 PM EDT
Wow- what a great way to instill and celebrate respect for teachers - not! [rolleyes]....if they're doing this on a collegiate level, God forbid what happens on a public/private school level. When I read sh*t like this, I'm glad I left teaching. I didn't spend six years getting two degrees and a teaching certificate to allow myself to be treated like a circus geek, thank you. And anybody who volunteers himself to be part of this as a target is only trying to ingratiate himself with the kids. Sleazy- earn it the hard way- do your job properly. What a dumbass- kids look up to teachers, despite what people say. I wouldn't have looked up to any teachers I had when I was a kid, had they lowered themselves to do something like this. Sheesh!
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:08:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 95thFoot: Wow- what a great way to instill and celebrate respect for teachers - not! [rolleyes]....if they're doing this on a collegiate level, God forbid what happens on a public/private school level. When I read sh*t like this, I'm glad I left teaching. I didn't spend six years getting two degrees and a teaching certificate to allow myself to be treated like a circus geek, thank you. And anybody who volunteers himself to be part of this as a target is only trying to ingratiate himself with the kids. Sleazy- earn it the hard way- do your job properly. What a dumbass- kids look up to teachers, despite what people say. I wouldn't have looked up to any teachers I had when I was a kid, had they lowered themselves to do something like this. Sheesh!
View Quote
All that said, there's a couple profs on this campus I wouldn't mind seeing catch a pie to the face. Especially if that pie contained, say, a healthy (read, very large) amount of OC powder...or a brick [;D]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:11:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/8/2003 3:15:15 PM EDT by Greenhorn]
Hey foot, perhaps I didn't make myself clear. ALL of the professors I've worked with are EXTREMELY good at what they do, and they are all VERY willing to help a student after class. They ARE doing their job properly, in every way. They do not have to act like drill sargents to earn my respect. The job they are doing is more than enough, and watching them get pied will not lower my opinion of them. What is wrong with having a little fun? NOTHING. Not everything has an ulterior motive. I think you're a little to sensitive or something.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:59:41 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Greenhorn: Hey foot, perhaps I didn't make myself clear. ALL of the professors I've worked with are EXTREMELY good at what they do, and they are all VERY willing to help a student after class. They ARE doing their job properly, in every way. They do not have to act like drill sargents to earn my respect. The job they are doing is more than enough, and watching them get pied will not lower my opinion of them. What is wrong with having a little fun? NOTHING. Not everything has an ulterior motive. I think you're a little to sensitive or something.
View Quote
Maybe I need some state-sponsored mandatory sensitivity and diversity training?[rolleyes] Wait till you're out of college, and have earned some life experience paying your own bills (besides a dorm or apt.), making ends meet, getting ahead in promotions and having to go through numerous job interviews, etc. to get a job in very competitive fields (esp. in the music field), etc. When you're on the other end, life looks a lot different. What makes me wonder is if this stuff starts to become a tradition, and teachers feel they have to take part in silly rituals to keep their jobs. Oh, nobody would come out and say anything against it, but it becomes an unspoken thing. The guy who hasn't got tenure yet, and didn't always go along, will get the boot at budget crunch time, believe me. I've seen it happen, both in academia and in the business worlkd.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:00:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/8/2003 5:02:12 PM EDT by 95thFoot]
Originally Posted By killingmachine123:
Originally Posted By DK-Prof: Let's not introduce that at my university! [:D]
View Quote
I thought the thread was going to be about you anyway, and it seems like a good fundraiser. plus sorority chicks will be involved.
View Quote
Skip the profs- go for the sorority babes- esp. clad only in whipped cream pies! [:D]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:24:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/8/2003 6:29:06 PM EDT by Greenhorn]
Originally Posted By 95thFoot: Wait till you're out of college, and have earned some life experience paying your own bills (besides a dorm or apt.), making ends meet, getting ahead in promotions and having to go through numerous job interviews, etc. to get a job in very competitive fields (esp. in the music field), etc. When you're on the other end, life looks a lot different. What makes me wonder is if this stuff starts to become a tradition, and teachers feel they have to take part in silly rituals to keep their jobs. Oh, nobody would come out and say anything against it, but it becomes an unspoken thing. The guy who hasn't got tenure yet, and didn't always go along, will get the boot at budget crunch time, believe me. I've seen it happen, both in academia and in the business worlkd.
View Quote
You have no idea what you are talking about. This has nothing whatsoever to do with keeping their jobs, or being popular, or ANYTHING!!! It's just a fun thing to do! It is not college-sponsered or anything! Any professor who thinks it would be fun can volunteer, or they can choose not to! WTF is the big deal? CALM DOWN! You are making a huge deal out of NOTHING! Geez!
Top Top