Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 440
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#1]
After today's abort, the next SLS test will probably be 2 years from now.  

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#2]
At least SLS has an actual abort system that can be used while the SRBs are burning. Would have needed it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:44:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

That's the thing that is so bizarre (and frustrating) to me about this.  As you said, those specific four engines have literally ALREADY flown in space.  There is nothing new or experimental about the technology.  Everything should be well-understood and almost  ROUTINE about lighting those engines and running them for 8 minutes.  Furthermore, they have had these four engines installed on the core for over a year, leading up to this test.  14 months to make sure everything is working right, and they still couldn't get it to function properly.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NwG:
Originally Posted By Master_of_Orion:

yep

was supposed to go for 8min.

This is why you test.  This is why SpaceX rapidly tests.  Whereas the other companies "certify" and attempt to make things absolutely perfect before they ever test... and still end up with issues.  Certifying every individual piece is a slow process that lets the company keep billing the customer... and with cost plus contracting there is no pressure or consequence for missing a deadline... in fact dragging their feet and missing deadlines just gets them paid more...

The engines they used for the test have flown on the shuttle. They have had nearly a decade at least to certify.

That's the thing that is so bizarre (and frustrating) to me about this.  As you said, those specific four engines have literally ALREADY flown in space.  There is nothing new or experimental about the technology.  Everything should be well-understood and almost  ROUTINE about lighting those engines and running them for 8 minutes.  Furthermore, they have had these four engines installed on the core for over a year, leading up to this test.  14 months to make sure everything is working right, and they still couldn't get it to function properly.  

Cue the 'He's Right' meme...
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:33:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: broken_reticle] [#4]
The video from the NASA.  Looks like NASA is trying to up their game and look more like SpaceX presentations.  And failing.  The only interesting part starts around 2:05

Hot Fire Engine Test for the Artemis Moon Rocket
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:37:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By broken_reticle:
The video from the NASA.  Looks like NASA is trying to up their game and look more like SpaceX presentations.  And failing.  The only interesting part starts around 2:05

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELHOXi2t3lk
View Quote

I watched a fair amount of the pregame show, it was terrible.

Especially for a test stand run. No booster landings, no flying water tanks, no backflips and no explosions.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#6]

View All Quotes

yep

This is why you test.  This is why SpaceX rapidly tests.  Whereas the other companies "certify" and attempt to make things absolutely perfect before they ever test... and still end up with issues.  Certifying every individual piece is a slow process that lets the company keep billing the customer... and with cost plus contracting there is no pressure or consequence for missing a deadline... in fact dragging their feet and missing deadlines just gets them paid more...

The engines they used for the test have flown on the shuttle. They have had nearly a decade at least to certify.

We've had planes that sat in the back of the shop, waiting on either parts (which could be an availability problem or a budget problem) or someone available to work on them (same thing, could be budget or just no free time), for a year or more before they would get dragged out for a ground run on the 'new' (well, they were new when they were installed) engines.

Never goes completely right.  Something always turns out to have gotten gummed up from sitting, or got taken apart more than once (for installing different things) and somebody got something wrong the last time they put it together (likely thinking it would be taken apart again, or that they would have time to doublecheck it later).

If you want the ground run to go right, put the damn thing together and have it doing ground runs in the same month.  Shop I used to work at, almost always started doing the ground runs about two weeks after we had started pulling the old engines off, and most ground runs didn't need anything more than some minor tweaks.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:14:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

How come the lunar variants look so fancy?

NASA requirements?
View Quote
No landing pads on the Moon (yet), so engines are up high so they don't kick up as much junk. That, and NASA stroking things.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:16:41 PM EDT
[#8]
At least SLS has an actual abort system that can be used while the SRBs are burning. Would have needed it.
View Quote

I wonder if they'll  fly them outside the ATK environmental envelope.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:06:43 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

The saddest thing is If you watched the press conference they were all patting themselves on the back about how exciting this day has been and how this is a great day for the stennis center. Just a bunch of wheezy old guys truly not giving a shit.

It really ruined my confidence in them.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Yobro512:

The saddest thing is If you watched the press conference they were all patting themselves on the back about how exciting this day has been and how this is a great day for the stennis center. Just a bunch of wheezy old guys truly not giving a shit.

It really ruined my confidence in them.
View Quote

Yup. They said the next step was to ship it down to FL to mated to the stack...one guy in the stream chat said they must be reading off a preplanned script and didn't know how to wing it
Only a minute run time out of 8 is bad. These weren't new designed engines like what SpaceX is doing.

Money is being wasted with SLS. I'd be surprised if the thing ever leaves the pad
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:50:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Dapzel:

Yup. They said the next step was to ship it down to FL to mated to the stack...one guy in the stream chat said they must be reading off a preplanned script and didn't know how to wing it
Only a minute run time out of 8 is bad. These weren't new designed engines like what SpaceX is doing.

Money is being wasted with SLS. I'd be surprised if the thing ever leaves the pad
View Quote

SLS is actually a massive success.

It's primary objective is funneling money to Alabama/Michoud, Boeing, Lockheed, and Northrop... The big rocket thingy is just a side effect.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:53:13 PM EDT
[#12]
SN10 getting close to done:

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:55:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By webtaz99:
No landing pads on the Moon (yet), so engines are up high so they don't kick up as much junk. That, and NASA stroking things.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By webtaz99:
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

How come the lunar variants look so fancy?

NASA requirements?

Yep.

It's optimized towards being a ferry between the lunar surface and orbit, the regular Starship is more general-purpose.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:36:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Neotopiaman:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Er29ZI5W8AAkmBt?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
View Quote

So beautiful!
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:32:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:45:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Yep.

It's optimized towards being a ferry between the lunar surface and orbit, the regular Starship is more general-purpose.
View Quote

If nothing else.

100tons (850m3 pressurized volume) to orbit for <$100million will change history.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:52:02 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

According to Scott Manley - the thrust vectoring is powered entirely differently from the shuttle - and 67 seconds is about when they started to test thrust vectoring.  It wasnt just an 8 minute burn test - it was a mission profile test.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#18]
good update from NSF

Starship SN9 Has Raptor Engines Swapped After First Ever Triple Static Fire
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:26:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:37:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:00:47 AM EDT
[#21]
I’ve been thinking the deep water drilling rig builders in Ingleside/Corpus would be the most logical contractors to build the proposed offshore launch platforms.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:06:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Chokey:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EsDix4VW8AADBwH?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EsDj9nyXcAM17zR?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EsDj-v2XcAEvws-?format=jpg&name=medium
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:26:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By agBQ08:
I’ve been thinking the deep water drilling rig builders in Ingleside/Corpus would be the most logical contractors to build the proposed offshore launch platforms.
View Quote

Just one of the many reasons why locating on the TX coast was a logical decision.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:08:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:09:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:26:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
Also, SLS core can be re-tested as-is with a software tweak.  No damage.
View Quote

Depends on whether it's Aerojet Rocketdyne software or Boeing software...
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:33:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By SGT-Fish:

I didn't know the other numbers you posted, but that is incredible. Still is funny that ULA didn't pick the raptor engine and instead went with BO. I bet they are kicking themselves as the raptor has already flown 3 times! And Elon said they should be down to 200k each when the design stabilizes and production starts. I assume that's before static fires to test each one.  I knew $2m was relatively cheap, but didnt realize it was THAT much cheaper
View Quote

200k per engine is likely one third the cost of an APU on an A320 jet.

At 200k that’s a deep overhaul for a PT-6 turboprop.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:34:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By vmpglenn:

View Quote

Lockheed owns Aerojet-Rocketdyne now...

Pretty soon there is going to be a monopoly or duopoly for everything military related....
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:36:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By SGT-Fish:

I didn't know the other numbers you posted, but that is incredible. Still is funny that ULA didn't pick the raptor engine and instead went with BO. I bet they are kicking themselves as the raptor has already flown 3 times! And Elon said they should be down to 200k each when the design stabilizes and production starts. I assume that's before static fires to test each one.  I knew $2m was relatively cheap, but didnt realize it was THAT much cheaper
View Quote

I don't think the Raptor was a option for ULA.

A Raptor-powered Vulcan would have a large performance increase over the BE-4... It's better than the BE4 in pretty much every way.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:48:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Screechjet1:

200k per engine is likely one third the cost of an APU on an A320 jet.

At 200k that’s a deep overhaul for a PT-6 turboprop.
View Quote

It helps that SpaceX is so vertically integrated and the engineers can all talk to each other.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By vmpglenn:

View Quote
They set the parameters to something super conservative
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:17:17 PM EDT
[#32]

I don't think the Raptor was a option for ULA.

A Raptor-powered Vulcan would have a large performance increase over the BE-4... It's better than the BE4 in pretty much every way.
View Quote
Based on the last reported figures for the BE-4. God only knows what they can actually do.  BO never talks about anything..lol
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:50:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 58Teague] [#33]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Er29ZI5W8AAkmBt?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
View Quote

Couple of Airstream trailers in the top right. That's a nice commute to work.

3.5 mil per rig.  That’s scrap value.  He fucking stole those rigs.
View Quote

Holy hell that's a bargain.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:55:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Cypher15:
Based on the last reported figures for the BE-4. God only knows what they can actually do.  BO never talks about anything..lol
View Quote

A three-engine Raptor Vulcan would have more thrust, higher ISP, and weigh less too.

BE-4 is not a bad engine BTW, especially for a first try... The Raptor just shits on every other rocket engines' face.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:29:39 PM EDT
[#35]
LOL @ Scotty's new video title. I admit I didn't really care about Virgin Orbit up until now, but from my understanding they are set to operate from Cornwall as well, so that will be something good for the whole UK space program

Still launching more payload than Blue Origin.

Virgin Reaches Orbit With The Help of Cosmic Girl

Virgin Reaches Orbit With The Help of Cosmic Girl
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#37]
3.5 mil per rig.  That's scrap value.  He fucking stole those rigs.
View All Quotes
3.5 mil per rig.  That's scrap value.  He fucking stole those rigs.

Yep

ENSCO also says it will construct another 8500 rig at a cost of $515 million with a delivery date in the second half of 2011.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Interesting that this news broke just before the inauguration.  Coincidence?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:26:22 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

Ok, now someone figure out what Destroyer that is in the foreground.

I'm guessing it's one of the Sherman's by the superstructure... but it's hard to be sure.

My guess is USS Barry. Formerly a Museum in Washington.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:35:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By ASUsax:

I'm guessing it's one of the Sherman's by the superstructure... but it's hard to be sure.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ASUsax:

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#42]
What if Musk bought the destroyers too?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:39:25 AM EDT
[#44]

What's going on there ?

Upper header tank with some pretty hefty dents ?
That's a lot more than just 'oil canning'.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:41:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Dagger41:

What's going on there ?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dagger41:

What's going on there ?

SN7.2 with thinner stainless steel, only 3mm thick.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:07:08 AM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

yep

This whole SLS program is a fucking joke at this point. It really is and everyone involved from the top brass to the janitor at Michoud should be embarrassed.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:07:48 AM EDT
[#47]
3.5 mil per rig.  That’s scrap value.  He fucking stole those rigs.
View Quote

Well with Trump banning offshore drilling in the gulf, I bet they lost a lot of value.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:10:24 AM EDT
[#48]

It's primary objective is funneling money to Alabama/Michoud, Boeing, Lockheed, and Northrop... The big rocket thingy is just a side effect.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dapzel:

Attachment Attached File

It's basically a jobs program and they can all pat themselves on the back for hiring a lot of minorities and women, while wasting the fuck out of tax payers money.

As a kid I was in awe of the Space Program and respected NASA....now I realize it has turned into just a big damn joke.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#49]
possible static fire today

ABORT: Starship SN9 Static Fire Attempts Aborted
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:53:44 PM EDT
[#50]
The Holy Hand Grenade is sitting next to SN9 now

Page / 440
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top