Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2003 12:51:31 PM EDT
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/berkshire/3296465.stm

Fish drags angler to death

A fisherman was dragged to his death in the Thames by a powerful fish pulling on his line, an inquest has heard.

Stanley King, who was recovering from an operation, got tangled in his line and was pulled into the water at Windsor, Berkshire, after a tug from the 3.5lb barbel.

The 60-year-old called for help to his friend John Speer, who was on the riverbank, but he was unable to save him from drowning during the night time fishing trip.

The body of the veteran angler, who had recently had an operation on his stomach, was not found until the next morning on 6 August this year.

His friend Mr Speer, 82, has died since the accident, and his son Keith gave evidence at the inquest on his behalf.

Accidental death

Mr Speer told the coroner his father had heard two splashes and then Mr King shouting: "John, John, I've gone in."

Mr Speer added: "He had a pull from a barbel, a very strong fish, which caused the rod tripod to fall over and would account for the small splash.

"His reaction was to grab the new rod with the fish on it."

The tug from the fish then made Mr King step onto shingle and slip, the inquest heard.

Mr King's rod and line was later found downstream, with the fish hooked on it.

East Berkshire coroner Peter Bedford recorded a verdict of accidental death at an inquest in Windsor on Thursday.

Only one other angler has drowned on the same stretch of river since 1934, according to the Civil Service Angling Society which owns the fishing rights.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#1]
That's the chance you run when you take part in this crazy food chain thing.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:09:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope i dont eat it in such an embarrassing way.  i guess that is how it goes though.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:14:45 PM EDT
[#3]
WTH kind of fish was it???
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:34:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Ban fishing!  No one needs to fish!  You can just go to the store!  If it just saves one life, it's worth it!
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:41:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Is that a Carp?  Looks damn ugly.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll bet the Brits put limits on the type of line used so as if any fish over 1 pound pulls on the line it will snap to protect the fisherman!
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:42:13 PM EDT
[#8]
It looks like a ferret's head on a fish's body.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:43:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Man vs Three and a half pound fish.  AND THE FRIGGIN FISH WINS!?!?!?

what killingmachine said.....I don't want to buy it in such an undignified manner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top