Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2003 11:52:47 AM EDT
As an officer?  I have been married for 7 months and will be expecting my first child in April (yes, a honeymoon baby!!).  I have been talking to a recruiter for the past couple of months but I haven't made a decision yet.  I have taken the ASVAB (scored an 84) and gone to MEPS (I qualify for just about everything).  My biggest concern (and its not too big) is whether or not I will get the MOS/career field I want, Intelligence.  I am looking at the Army as a 20-30 year commitment or a step towards working for the CIA or FBI.  

I don't know much about the Army 'lifestyle' because I was brought up in an Air Force oriented family (Dad, uncles, aunts, grandfather, etc... all Air Force).

What do you think?

Thanks for the help...
03Mav
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Why not go AF if you are well versed in that culture?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:55:51 AM EDT
[#2]
In my position (single with no kids at home), I would. In your position (just married with a bun in the oven), I wouldn't.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:00:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Why not go AF if you are well versed in that culture?
View Quote

I tried that first but the AF is only taking applications from people with technical degrees until Oct 2004.

03Mav
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:05:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In my position (single with no kids at home), I would. In your position (just married with a bun in the oven), I wouldn't.
View Quote

i agree. with the political climate as it is now, theres a good chance you will land a spot oversees. considering your wife will be taking care of the little one all by herself while your gone, she might hold it against you when she gets stressed.

then again. many people do exactly what your planning on doing. they manage. you can too.

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:06:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Ever thought of applying to the CIA or FBI first? Chances are with a kid on the way the CIA might be a bit iffy, but the FBI might take you in. Any FBI types want to chime in?

CW
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:11:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I applied with the FBI 6 months ago and met every qualification. Even have a degree in one of the fields they have listed as high demand. I too have considered joining the Army as an officer. The only thing that is stopping me is the memories I have as being enlisted 4 years ago. We'll see how desperate I get for a good job.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:22:56 PM EDT
[#7]
"i agree. with the political climate as it is now, theres a good chance you will land a spot oversees. considering your wife will be taking care of the little one all by herself while your gone, she might hold it against you when she gets stressed.

then again. many people do exactly what your planning on doing. they manage. you can too. "

My wife and I both would like to be stationed in Germany (the Army can gaurantee your first duty station)if possible so overseas would not be a problem..

"Ever thought of applying to the CIA or FBI first? Chances are with a kid on the way the CIA might be a bit iffy, but the FBI might take you in. Any FBI types want to chime in?"

What Offspring said....  I have a Criminal Justice degree which are a dime a dozen.  I am also 22 which means I am too young to be considered for a Special Agent position in the FBI.  

One of the reasons I am looking into the military as an option is to get a security clearance.  That should greatly increase my chances of getting on with a federal agency.

03Mav
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:58:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't worry about getting a security clearance. If your background is sound you won't have any problem when the time comes. The alphabet soup agencies will check you out anyway. Get into something that will show off your initiative and intelligence. The Navy is also a good outfit to get into if intelligence is your bag. Most of the good people I know in the community came from or are currently in the Navy. AF would be best, but doesn't look like an option at the moment.

CW
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:03:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Nope, not the Army.  That's all I can say, since I have no experience anywhere else.  If you can afford to wait, I think the AF would be worth it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am looking at the Army as a 20-30 year commitment or a step towards working for the CIA or FBI.
03Mav
View Quote

You've got to be pretty young to expect/desire a career change after 30 years.  I suspect I'm only 7-10 years older than you, and can verify that my attitudes and outlooks have changed drastically in those years.  I guess my point is that your plan is too long term for the human mind to follow.  Your life is not a checklist.  

In my personal opinion, don't join because you need a job.  Join because you want to be in the Army.  Like any profession, it will be complete misery if you are not motivated properly.  

Do a little introspection.  Do you like money or security?  Do you like free will, or routine?  The newfound respect for the military will wane in time.  If 'respect' is part of your motivation, you should consider that...

It's a big decision, good luck!  
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:13:44 PM EDT
[#11]
in your situation, NO i would not. Unless you have no other job oportunities. Army life is VERY ANTI FAMILY oriented. Especially in todays enviornment where extended and frequent deployments are the norm.

You have a new wife and soon a new child. They will need you at home for awhile. Take care of them. You can pretty well expect to miss the first year of your childs life if you enlist now.

mike
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:46:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am looking at the Army as a 20-30 year commitment or a step towards working for the CIA or FBI.
03Mav
View Quote

You've got to be pretty young to expect/desire a career change after 30 years.  I suspect I'm only 7-10 years older than you, and can verify that my attitudes and outlooks have changed drastically in those years.  I guess my point is that your plan is too long term for the human mind to follow.  Your life is not a checklist.  

In my personal opinion, don't join because you need a job.  Join because you want to be in the Army.  Like any profession, it will be complete misery if you are not motivated properly.  

Do a little introspection.  Do you like money or security?  Do you like free will, or routine?  The newfound respect for the military will wane in time.  If 'respect' is part of your motivation, you should consider that...

It's a big decision, good luck!  
View Quote

I am 22 years old.  My decision to make a career out of the Army will come with time if its what I decide to do.  The security/money throws me a bit....  Military pay is not bad... At least not in my opinion!

Whether or not I like free will or routine... Well, I like structure.  

I am considering the Army because I FIRMLY believe that everyone should serve our country in one form or another.  That may sound cliche' but that is what I have always thought.  

Thanks,
03Mav

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Alright, I will also throw this into the mix...

Would you choose an enlisted position in the Air Force over a commission in the Army??

This has also been a thought of mine but my wife isn't really fond of me enlisting.

03Mav
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Enlisted in the AF might get you into the intel biz as an operator, but not the greatest way to move to other agencies. If AF is the call, I would wait. BTW, I have not been in the armed forces, but have worked with and for them at pretty much all levels from fresh-outs from the acadamies to JCS level (in all services). I have also worked with and for most of the alphabet soup agencies including CIA, NSA, DIA, AEC and others. You mentioned that your interest is in intelligence. Could you be more specific?

CW
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't make a decision until your child is born.

Then, take a look at your wife and your child and decide if you can stand only seeing them for 3-6 months out of the year.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:01:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Don't make a decision until your child is born.

Then, take a look at your wife and your child and decide if you can stand only seeing them for 3-6 months out of the year.
View Quote

What he said.  [hail2]

CW
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:16:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Marine corp is always looking for a LT!! As we all know you cant spell lost with out a LT. Joking!!!!!

I'd go with Chair force,Coast guard, Navy , Army then last Marine corp I'm only a Lcpl so I dont know that much about officer life.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#18]
i'll be entering approx. 1 year from now, when i get my degree
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:51:38 PM EDT
[#19]
If I would have been single with no children or no children on the way.  I would have signed up as soon as possible after 9/11.  If they would have taken me.  

I look at my wife and child and I don't think I could do that to them.  

If the situation were worse and my country really needed me I would.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:52:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Hubby did! And he's going Intellegence! I just got back from his Basic Training Graduation, I'm so proud of him!
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:54:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Don't worry about getting a security clearance. If your background is sound you won't have any problem when the time comes. The alphabet soup agencies will check you out anyway. Get into something that will show off your initiative and intelligence. The Navy is also a good outfit to get into if intelligence is your bag. Most of the good people I know in the community came from or are currently in the Navy. AF would be best, but doesn't look like an option at the moment.

CW
View Quote

I disagree. Hubby has a perfect background and security clearance is tiring and a bitch. We are still waiting for clearence for him to come home for Christmas and he graduated Basic already.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:56:07 AM EDT
[#22]
MI is a good field to get into. Hubby and I both were MI, but as others have said the Army is not the greatest as far as families. I saw alot of divorces because the spouses didn't like that,most likely your working most holidays,pulling duty,and for others spending time in the field. We never went to the field,but other units around us did. The military has a high divorce rate.
My brother was in the Air Force and they are very family oriented. Even the Air Force that worked with us we had an op whose husband was Navy,they stationed him with us so they could be together,so we had our token squid. Even if you get guaranteed assignment right now, it doesn't mean that you and your unit aren't going to be heading for one of the sandboxes for a year or so. I did try to go back in to the army,but my age was against me. My husband and I both would go back in, in a heartbeat,but we also know that life. When we were in we always worked holidays so the married guys with kids could be home with  the family. You also have to realise that there are alot of times you will be working 12 hours on 12 hours off. You need to be sure that your spouse is going to be understanding of all the different shifts,different duties etc. Also realise that working in the MI field you are not going to be able to tell her anything about your work. That sometimes does not go over well. Also everything that she does can also effect your clearance. I wish you luck in your decision,and hope you think about it really well.I don't want to sway your decision one way or the other,but if family is a big part of your decision then maybe you should wait for the Air Force.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:15:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

CW
View Quote

I disagree. Hubby has a perfect background and security clearance is tiring and a bitch. We are still waiting for clearence for him to come home for Christmas and he graduated Basic already.
View Quote

Hi JustAGirl,
I didn't say getting clearances weren't a PIA, but the paperwork and interviews are pretty straightforward. Been there, done that, got the T-shirts, shredded and burned the T-shirts. The investigations can be viewed as invasive, but you have to look at the process from the USG's point of view. Anyway, what I meant by not worrying about the clearance is that if you haven't done anything really wrong, don't have relatives living in denied countries and are honest with the investigators and the investigation process, getting a clearance is pretty straighforward. It takes time and effort to fill out the paperwork, but that is part of the price you pay for admission. Word of advice for all concerned, you can screw around with just about anything, but DO NOT screw around with government security.

CW
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:25:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Married, kid on the way, dont enlist.  I always wonder what these 19 year old married kids with kids are thinking, going into the military.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Have you tried the Secret Service, it would get your foot in the door to Federal Employment!!  Not uncommon for Agents of different agencies to move around!!
Here are the [b]Special Agent[/b] req:
Requirements

* U.S. citizenship.
   * Must be at least 21 years of age and younger than 37 at time of appointment.
   * (1) Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university; or (2) three years of work experience in the criminal investigative or law enforcement fields that require knowledge and application of laws relating to criminal violations; or (3) and equivalent combination of education and related experience.

* According to the Office of Personnel Management regulations, nonqualifying law enforcement experience is as follows: Experience as a uniformed law enforcement officer where the principal duties consisted of investigations and arrests involving traffic violations, minor felonies, misdemeanors, and comparable offenses; or in which the major duties involved guarding and protecting property, preventing crimes, and/or legal research without the application of investigative techniques. Uncorrected vision no worse than 20/60 binocular; correctable to 20/20 in each eye.
     (NOTE: Lasik, ALK, RK and PRK corrective eye surgeries are acceptable eye surgeries for special agent applicants provided specific visual tests are passed one year after surgery. Applicants who have undergone Lasik surgery may have visual tests three months after the surgery.)
   * Excellent health and physical condition.
   * Must pass the Treasury Enforcement Agent.
   * Complete background investigation to include in-depth interviews, drug screening, medical examination, and polygraph examination.

[b]Uniformed Division[/b] - This gets your foot in the door, I have met Special Agents who made the switch!

EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
Uniformed Officer
History

The U.S. Secret Service Uniformed Division began as the White House Police, which was originally created as a separate and distinct organization by Public Law in 1922. This force became operational on October 1, 1922. The White House Police came under direct supervision of the U.S. Secret Service in 1930. On March 19, 1970, the White House Police increased its protective responsibilities and changed its name to Executive Protective Service (EPS). On December 27, 1974, the Executive Protective Service was mandated to protect the Vice President, members of his immediate family and the Vice-President's official residence. On November 15, 1977, the name "Executive Protective Service" was change to "United States Secret Service Uniformed Division."

Major Duties

The Uniformed Division officers provide protection for the United States President, Vice-President, President-elect, Vice-President-elect, their immediate families, former Presidents, their spouses and minor children until the age of 16, visiting foreign heads of states/governments, their accompanying spouses, major Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates, their spouses, and others designated by law. In addition, Uniformed Division officers provide protection for the White House Complex, the Vice-President's residence, the Main Treasury Building and Annex, and foreign diplomatic missions and embassies in the Washington, DC area. Uniformed Division officers also travel in support of the Presidential, Vice-Presidential, and foreign heads of state/government missions. Uniformed Division officers are also responsible for the enforcement of mandated protective responsibilities as described under Title 3, United States Code, Section 202.

Requirements

* U.S. citizenship.
   * Must be at least 21 years of age and younger than 37 at time of appointment.
   * High school diploma or equivalent.
   * Excellent health and physical condition.
   * Uncorrected vision no worse than 20/60 binocular; correctable to 20/20 in each eye.
     (NOTE: Lasik, ALK, RK and PRK corrective eye surgeries are acceptable eye surgeries for Uniformed Division officer applicants provided specific visual tests are passed one year after surgery. Applicants who have undergone Lasik surgery may have visual tests three months after the surgery.)
   * Complete interviews and pass a written test. Complete background investigation to include driving record check, drug screening, medical and polygraph examinations.
   * Positions only available in Washington, D.C.; reasonable moving expenses paid for out-of-area hires.
   * The Unformed Division officer position is designated as a key position in accordance with Department of Defense Directive 1200.7. As such, employees occupying this position will have their military status changed to either Retired Reserve or Standby Reserve, or maybe discharged, as appropriate.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 11:33:34 AM EDT
[#26]
I haven't seen this answered or asked, so I'll do it:

How are you going to join as an officer?  Are you in ROTC in college now, ready to commission?  Or are you talking about enlisting then applying for OCS?

I'm a little confused.  You don't just "join as an officer".
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#27]
If you qualify for a Commission, go for it, don't enlist.  With very few exceptions you won't be happy.

You come from a quasi-military background.  You know many of the downsides.  Now add in that in almost every service deployments are becoming the rule rather than the exception.  (Try telling that to my kid in the AF, he's still in South Carolina and everybody from his High School class that joined when he did have completed at least one o'seas tour, 2 are on their second.  And he is still frustrated in SC.) If you think you and the wife and the kid can handle separations, think some more.  Think some more.  Separations are going to be the rule for several years.

Frankly there are a lot of wives that can't handle it.  

Even without kids they are tough.  (Been there did that.)  

As far as AF opening up for non-tech officers in the next year or two.  Well, don't hold your breath, frankly there aren't that many requirements for liberal arts types, some business types.  the career ticket punches are going to include project management, R&D, etc.  A lot of the non-warrior fields are getting filled by mustangs, or contracting out services.  The AF is probably the service that deals with more technology than any other on a regular basis.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top