Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/8/2003 5:46:33 AM EDT
I have a rat terrier. She is 8 years old. This summer she got a skin problem that I thought at first was the mange. All the mange treatment I gave her did no good so I ended up taking her to the vet. The vet said it was a yeast infection. She gave the dog a shot of some sort, some antibiotics, and some special shampoo to be used twice a week. I gave her all the pills and gave her a bath twice a week for a month. The problem cleared up and all the hair that had come off of her feet legs and under her chin grew back. Everything looked good. Now it appears to be coming back. The hair is coming off her again in the same locations as before. I still have some of the shampoo and have been using it, but the problem isn't getting any better. She stays outside but has access to my shop which is heated and air-conditioned if this matters. Anybody have any clue to what might be the problem before I go back to the vet?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:53:26 AM EDT
Diagnosis: Your dog is suffering from a fairly common malady - "Owner Deprivation". Immediately feed her one 16oz. steak and move her into your bedroom. Call me at the office in the unlikely event this problem persists. 5sub
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:01:40 AM EDT
Is she scratching? My dog has allergies that have to be occasionally treated with Benadryl.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:12:16 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Crookshanks: Is she scratching? My dog has allergies that have to be occasionally treated with Benadryl.
View Quote
Yes she is scratching. Do you use the same Benadryl that you can get over the counter? I got her when she was 8 weeks old and she has never had nothing wrong with her before.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:35:03 AM EDT
Does your dog have fleas? They can cause the skin conditions that you are describing. Another thing that you might try, Brewers yeast. It will help with skin conditions. Also try oil. The cheapest vegetable oil that you can buy at the store. Put it on the food. The dogs love it. I had german shepherds that had skin conditons. The vet I used, told me about these remedies. Alot of these things are diet related.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:43:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/8/2003 6:50:28 AM EDT by nightstalker]
Not a doctor or vet but I'd think about changing the dog's diet. Skin is the largest organ in the body and deals with eliminations that do not happen effectively enough in the digestive system. [url]http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_yeast_infection_of_the_skin.html[/url]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:48:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By einnor1040:
Originally Posted By Crookshanks: Is she scratching? My dog has allergies that have to be occasionally treated with Benadryl.
View Quote
Yes she is scratching. Do you use the same Benadryl that you can get over the counter? I got her when she was 8 weeks old and she has never had nothing wrong with her before.
View Quote
Originally, my vet prescribed Benadryl from his office pharmacy. The cost was high. Then a friend told me of her son's dog, and how after her son looked into medications, found there was no difference in what the vet prescribed for his Boston Terrier and what is sold over the counter. Now I buy Benadryl Allergy in the 124 count Ultratab bottle from Sam's Club and save.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:58:36 AM EDT
I blend the following and mix it in with my Shepherd's kibble. No skin problems ever. 2 tablespoons plain yogurt 1/4 can mackerel (chicken of the sea brand) 1 hard boiled egg 1/4 cup steamed carrots (or alfalfa sprouts) a healthy squirt of Cod Liver Oil 1 oz mixture of fish meal and yeast Add water and blend to a creamy texture and mix into kibble. --RR
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:01:32 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 338winmag: Does your dog have fleas? They can cause the skin conditions that you are describing.
View Quote
No fleas. I put that flea stuff on the back of her neck once a month.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:16:07 AM EDT
Sounds like an allergy to me. Does it only occur at this time of year? Has the dog spent a winter outside before or is the first one? Is the shop the dog has access to clean and does the dog have it's own clean place to lay down and rest? Sounds to me like the dog is either allergic to it's food or it's surroundings. Why isn't the dog allowed inside with it's family? If you are worried about mess, buy a kennel, it is the best invention for house dogs since well, house dogs. LOL good luck to you
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:38:17 AM EDT
I would bet allergies...my dog had the same symptoms. Take her to a vet that specializes in K9 allergies...you will not regret it. Even better is to find a teaching clinic or university vet clinic. They will do a very thorough examiniation, and the cost is reduced because students get to learn on you dog, but surpervised by great doctors. I did this at U of FL and it was only about $130, and it took 6 hours. So be prepared to wait.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:17:20 AM EDT
The wife just mentioned a friend who cooked for her dog to manage skin problems. Lamb and rice is a good way to avoid allergic reactions that cause skin problems. I'd also go along with getting fish oils into their food.
Top Top