Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 7:37:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sous vide. You can’t fuck it up

ETA My sous vide prime rib:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/448063/8201BAB7-3528-4A97-B45B-8FA6D8148C8D_jpeg-779222.JPG
View Quote
Nice!
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 7:37:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
alton brown method
View Quote
This, seriously. We do one every year for Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 7:38:00 PM EDT
[#3]
look up paula deen standing rib roast with pan sauce.  follow direcrions.  profit
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 7:38:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I do them quite often.

Let the meat get to room temp.  You'll have to leave it out of the frig for 6 hours or so.
Heat oven to 500 degrees.  Let it heat soak for awhile.  Leave it at 500 for 30 minutes or so.
Then put it in the oven for 5 minutes per pound.
Shut the oven off, but don't open the door.  Let it sit in the oven for 2 hours.

Pull out, cut the ribs off and slice it into thick slabs of prime rib.

It comes out perfect every time.
View Quote
This is along the lines of what I'm thinking.

I take it you mean that you do not tie the bones back on or any of that jazz, and instead cut them off after cooking?
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 7:42:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yep.
Anyone who would let a hunk of meat sit for 6 to 10 hours (and that's what it would take a roast on the short side) to let it get to room temp is just asking to get sick!
The danger zone for foods is 40F to 140F, letting a hunk of meat sit on the counter from 40F to 72F is simply a breeding ground for bacteria!
View Quote
Only on the surface, which will be killed by cooking.  Be sure to wash your hands before handling the meat.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 7:44:00 PM EDT
[#7]
boil it for 40 minutes per pound. stir frequently.

Link Posted: 12/20/2018 7:47:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This is the worst fucking prime rib advice I have ever read.
View Quote
Yes it is. That guy has no idea what he is doing.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 7:51:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Kind of the same idea as the other method but allows me to check progress. I'm foing!
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 7:55:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Only on the surface, which will be killed by cooking.  Be sure to wash your hands before handling the meat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep.
Anyone who would let a hunk of meat sit for 6 to 10 hours (and that's what it would take a roast on the short side) to let it get to room temp is just asking to get sick!
The danger zone for foods is 40F to 140F, letting a hunk of meat sit on the counter from 40F to 72F is simply a breeding ground for bacteria!
I have to disagree - I'm more of a science and fact kind of guy (I also don't think the Earth is flat...)!
https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/myth-let-meat-come-room-temp-cooking
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 7:55:51 PM EDT
[#11]
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/12/perfect-prime-rib-beef-recipe.html

this is the BFG way.   Except I debone and tie it round.    The bones get roasted and served next to roast.   That way the non bone chewers don't waste a good bone by letting it sit on their plate.

edit: forgot the url
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wrap in foil.

Place on intake manifold for 223 miles.

Enjoy!
View Quote
That is only if you are using a 4 stroke snow machine. you really need only 180ish miles on a standard 2 stroke...
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 7:57:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
this is the BFG way.   Except I debone and tie it round.    The bones get roasted and served next to roast.   That way the non bone chewers don't waste a good bone by letting it sit on their plate.
View Quote
This guy gets it!
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:01:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're all a bunch of heathens....

let it get room temp.

drench in balsamic vinegar.

coat entire roast in large grain kosher salt.

Put meat thermometer into middle and set alert for 130 degrees.

put in roasting pan, in center of oven at 325.

cook until alarm goes off, pull from oven, cover loosely with foil and let it sit for 15 - 20 minutes.

knock off salt crust and cut to thickness you like with electric knife.
This thread, more than anything else leads me to believe that America is finished.
Yep.
And yet after years of letting rib roasts and briskets come to room temp (or near) we are all still here. Must be an accident.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:01:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Kind of the same idea as the other method but allows me to check progress. I'm foing!
View Quote
Anything other than the reverse sear is throwing meat in the trash. Whether cooked on a smoker, a BGE, or in the oven, reverse sear is where it's at for ANY large piece of beef.

Personally, I cook to about 115F. The carryover usually gets it to ~122F, depending on the size of the roast. I generally prefer more rare meat though. If I have guests who want it more done than that, I (begrudgingly) will throw a piece in a pan or on the grill for them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:02:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
alton brown method
I tried that one year, and smoked out the whole house.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:09:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Did this last year and it was fantastic.

Set roast out for 5-6 hours.
Set in pan with rack
Binder.. 1 1/2 sticks of butter, mix w sea salt/pepper/Montreal blend if you like.
coat the entire roast with this. Heavy on all sides.

Cook in roasting pan at 500 degrees for:
wt of meat x 5 minutes.   9 lb roast equals 45 minutes

Turn OFF oven after high heat
Leave oven door closed for 2 hours
DO NOT OPEN until 2 hours is up.
after 2 hours check to see if meat is between 127-130 degrees
let rest
Enjoy
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:15:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Google cooking for engineers,standing rib roast

Sear at 500 degrees for 15 min then turn down and follow recipe

Perfect every time pull at 128-130 depending on how rare you want it.

Pete
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:27:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Here’s what I do for boneless rib roasts. I’d like to see how it works on that slab.

I do them on my Weber kettle, offset cook and just cook to medium rare. Before it goes on coat with olive oil and a hefty amount of salt and pepper and diced fresh rosemary. Sometimes I’ll cut slits and insert garlic cloves.

Drip pan underneath to catch dripping. When up to temp pull off grill and let rest. Take drippings and strain into a sauce pan on medium heat. Add beef broth, salt, pepper until warm and you’ve got some great aujus.

Easy peasy
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:29:46 PM EDT
[#20]
If you want a rare prime rib, it needs to come out of the over at an internal temperature of ~118* as it will continue to cook internally. 120*-125* internal is rare. Anybody that cooks a prime rib roast past rare is a fuckin' hack.

If someone wants theirs a bit more done, throw it on the BBQ grill...or give it a short soak in simmering Au Jus. I used the 'simmering au jus bath' trick for years as a chef.

I can even uncook a piece of prime rib.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:30:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Smoker
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:40:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Place in oven at 225 degrees with a calibrated meat thermometer placed in it at just the right spot.

Remove when thermometer indicates 137 degrees if you like a strong pink color.  Alter this target to your liking but don't tell me you're going to ruin a good piece of meat by cooking all the red and pink out of it.

Don't waste your time letting it rest and cool off,  slice and serve immediately.   Letting it rest is a load of BS and you end up with cold meat.

The moment the roast is out of the oven you call the herd to the troughs.   Starts slicing and serving and chewing and burping immediately.
FIFY
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:41:04 PM EDT
[#23]
For the guys that do a reverse sear, I do have a question.

I find that when I do a reverse sear, I get almost no drippings. Definitely not enough to make au jus from. What do you guys do for au jus? I'd like something better than mccormick powdered au jus.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 9:05:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I did this one year and was very pleased with the results.

https://vimeo.com/12099997

Adam Perry Lang - Perfect Prime Rib

Cooked over charcoal.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 9:29:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I find that when I do a reverse sear, I get almost no drippings. Definitely not enough to make au jus from. What do you guys do for au jus? I'd like something better than mccormick powdered au jus.
View Quote
You just gotta make it seperate.    Buy oxtails, vealbones, etc.    mirepoix, bones, red wine etc.    simmer it down while roast is roasting.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 9:32:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Au ju can be as simple as beef builion, salty.  I add red wine and rosemary.  Kiss principal.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You just gotta make it seperate.    Buy oxtails, vealbones, etc.    mirepoix, bones, red wine etc.    simmer it down while roast is roasting.
View Quote
I don't know why this never occurred to me
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 9:45:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 12/20/2018 9:47:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Pull the fucking thing out before you think it needs it. I just overcooked a piece if meat even though I pulled it out at 135 and let it rest.

Pull it out if the oven early: rather a little too rare than well done.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The funny comments on boil it refer to Sous Vide, get an Anova, vac bag the roast with some salt/pepper maybe some fresh thyme and cook about 6 hours roast size doesn’t matter only diameter.  I find that removing bones and cap to end up with a nice cylinder shape helps with one that size and I cook with the Anova set at about 130 for med rare.   You can cook the ribs/cap later for a snack.  You really can’t overcook with sous vide but longer times will result in a different texture.
View Quote
I can't even begin to imagine how angry I would be if someone tried to serve me prime rib with no cap
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 9:58:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Beef, of any cut,  be it T-bone or prime rib,  will be at the same degree of done-ness at the same temperature.  137 is a nice pink that doesn't scare off those who fear that it'll kick them in the teeth if it's not cooked grey.    Personally I'm going to prefer it considerably more rare than that but 137 is an acceptable compromise.

I've heard so many times about cooking beef up to 120-something and then taking it out of the oven and letting it rest and continue cooking to the desired temperature,  and I've
tried that, and it's been hit-and-miss to do that but if I just cook to the desired temperature and then slice and serve immediately I have more control over matters.  Do it this way
and it won't cook itself above the intended temperature and I see NO drawbacks to doing it this way.

Some people say that by resting it keeps the juices inside.   I've seen no evidence that it matters.   But by resting I see that it cools off and I didn't cook a great piece of meat for it to be served at room temperature.

Really, my experience gives me no reason to buy into the "take it out below target temperature and let it rest" advice.   That's never been how I've gotten my best results.

Do feel free to tell me why own personal experiences are wrong, though.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 10:02:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Pull the fucking thing out before you think it needs it. I just overcooked a piece if meat even though I pulled it out at 135 and let it rest.

Pull it out if the oven early: rather a little too rare than well done.
View Quote
Well, 135 is too high, but it's really important to remember the "pull at x degrees" directions are super dependent on the temp at which you're cooking and how long it's been at that temp.

If you're pulling out of a sub-200f oven or if it's just been in 5 min. for a sear the temp isn't going to climb much at all at rest.

If you're using a sear-first or high temp method it could continue to climb a lot.

It's also worth mentioning the reason that happens is because the outside of the roast is already too hot/overcooked.

That's why I like reverse sear on low heat so much, it's pink all the way to the sear, the temp of the meat is super stable for a long time at the end, makes it really easy to hit your target and actually still be there when you carve. You can do the same thing with more heat if you're in a hurry but once you get above about 220 you can't avoid having some grey under the sear and you're going to have to have your timing for everything right to have it hit the table at temp.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 10:19:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Well, 135 is too high, but it's really important to remember the "pull at x degrees" directions are super dependent on the temp at which you're cooking and how long it's been at that temp.

If you're pulling out of a sub-200f oven or if it's just been in 5 min. for a sear the temp isn't going to climb much at all at rest.

If you're using a sear-first or high temp method it could continue to climb a lot.

It's also worth mentioning the reason that happens is because the outside of the roast is already too hot/overcooked.

That's why I like reverse sear on low heat so much, it's pink all the way to the sear, the temp of the meat is super stable for a long time at the end, makes it really easy to hit your target and actually still be there when you carve. You can do the same thing with more heat if you're in a hurry but once you get above about 220 you can't avoid having some grey under the sear and you're going to have to have your timing for everything right to have it hit the table at temp.
View Quote
Makes sense. I reverse sear steaks all the time with great success, but I only had 2 hours to get this roast done. I'll reverse sear the roast next time. It turned out okay, but not great. The saving grace is it wasn't a rib roast: it was a poor man's "prime rib" for a trial run.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 10:26:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I think I'm going this route. I did that on a shitty eye round for sandwiches and it came out perfectly pink.

Paranoid about variances in ovens though. I take it if you can't really check on it with an instant read without letting out too much heat?
View Quote
DON'T OPEN THE DOOR. DON'T LET ANYONE ELSE OPEN THE DOOR. THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE DOOR. IF JOHN OPENS THE DOOR, RIP HIS LONG MUSTACHE OFF.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 10:30:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/448063/8201BAB7-3528-4A97-B45B-8FA6D8148C8D_jpeg-779222.JPG
View Quote
how long per pound at what temp, mom wants me to cook a 17lb ribeye roast
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 10:35:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Lots of interesting info here, guys.

Almost game time.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 7:53:15 PM EDT
[#38]
If that is truly Prime rib roast, I wouldn't be calling it stupid.  A prime rib roast that size is well over $100
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 8:26:39 PM EDT
[#39]

3.5hrs on the egg. 125 IT.

Seasoned with meat church BBQ holy cow, garlic herb, salt. Butter at the last 15 mins.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 8:26:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Place in oven at 225 degrees with a calibrated meat thermometer placed in it at just the right spot.

Remove when thermometer indicates 137 degrees if you like a strong pink color.  Alter this target to your liking but don't tell me you're going to ruin a good piece of meat by cooking all the red and pink out of it.

Don't waste your time letting it rest and cool off,  slice and serve immediately.   Letting it rest is a load of BS and you end up with cold meat.

The moment the roast is out of the oven you call the herd to the troughs.   Starts slicing and serving and chewing and burping immediately.
View Quote
Do not listen to this. 137 is to high if you want med rare and you must let it rest.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#41]
First, shoot it with your Glock to humanely kill it. Then stick it in your BGE until it hits 135.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 8:37:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Microwave it first and then boil it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I can't even begin to imagine how angry I would be if someone tried to serve me prime rib with no cap
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The funny comments on boil it refer to Sous Vide, get an Anova, vac bag the roast with some salt/pepper maybe some fresh thyme and cook about 6 hours roast size doesn’t matter only diameter.  I find that removing bones and cap to end up with a nice cylinder shape helps with one that size and I cook with the Anova set at about 130 for med rare.   You can cook the ribs/cap later for a snack.  You really can’t overcook with sous vide but longer times will result in a different texture.
Yeah. That’s no bueno.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 9:05:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oh jeez that looks delicious!!!
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 9:11:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/148484/20181224_184557-784216.jpg

3.5hrs on the egg. 125 IT.

Seasoned with meat church BBQ holy cow, garlic herb, salt. Butter at the last 15 mins.
View Quote
I'll be over in 20 minutes, save me a seat.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 9:16:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Run it through an easybake oven.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Chef John at Food Wishes on YT has a darn good looking prime rib recipe, supposedly foolproof:

Perfect Prime Rib - Easiest Prime Rib Recipe Ever! - Formally Know as "Method X"

ETA: Apologies to whoever posted it first.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 9:52:00 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm bouncing around on methods now after having 8 thousand suggestions.

I also have another predicament. I have 2 pieces, 1 7.5lb and a 3lb. The smaller one is for non family type, picky eating pains in the ass.

I'd really like to go reverse sear since I haven't before. I have to cook both pieces in the same pan, same time. If I use the 500 for 5 min. a pound and oven off for 2hrs, should I just stick the 3lb in 20 minutes after the big one?

The smaller one can be all the way done and I won't care, just don't want to serve complete shoe leather, some pinkness should remain ideally.

In my scenario how you approach this?
Bonus points for advice on the same 2 pieces bit with reverse sear.
These are bone in, btw.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#49]
That's not big.. I would say that is average.

Just cooked a 7lb boneless roast tonight. Perfection man.

Cook at 200 degrees for about 3.5 hours, once temps hit 125 in the center, pull it out and put foil on it. Let stand for 45 min while it continues cooking and rests. Then put it in a 400 degree oven for about 10 min or u till seared how you like it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 10:22:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Lots of well done cap in here and people seem proud enough of that overcooked meat to post a pic

Smoke to 125°, sous @131° for 6, then sear with torch, cast iron or really hot coals.

It will have the nice smoky flavor, perfectly pink edge to edge, tender and impossible to fuck up.

ETA: if I wanted to fuck one up, I'd use an oven.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top