Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:20:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I’m not, but I should be or else a kid could get maimed or killed fairly easily since I am driving a bus.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:22:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I love my job
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:24:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Passionate??  Haha.  I'm only passionate about my paycheck.

Theres lots of days I'm sick to my stomach driving in but I do it because it takes care of my family and gives me a good life.

After 21 years with the same company, I have no pride, no self worth, I just play the part to get paid.  Society is broken, people are scum, and its too late to start over.

I often contemplate a new career but why take a huge pay cut?  Ahhh fuck it, better go pour another drink!

Dont be a slave to the dollar, it's the ultimate waste of a life!
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:25:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Do not give a fuck at some point.  Probably should, but fuck it.  Will work things out with the other office staff so long as I never have to attend a company party event.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:25:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Self employed working a little micro factory. I'm pretty passionate about what I do, but the customers can be a real drain. I get 99% 5 star feedback because I love and am really good at what I do, but the 1% really does upset a guy. Working 14 hrs a day, 7 days a week... really getting burned out. Money is coming in though and it's nice.

Ready to pop a fuckitall pill and sell out and try out living in the Alaska wilderness. Haven't completely convinced the wife yet. But we're squirrelling the money away, hopefully the next recession/depression doesn't completely wipe us out.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:27:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I start my Christmas vacation at 1 this afternoon. My goal is to find a new job while I'm off.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:30:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Same here op.

It's not a hard job at all but I doubt I'd be able to find a single fuck to give if the place burned down. Just dont give a shit about it.

They need work and I need money.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:13:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I enjoy some parts of my job more than others

Some projects I just want to get done and other ones I end up working late because I'm enjoying myself
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:16:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Im so passionate about my job that it makes my wife jealous.
View Quote
Gynecologist?
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:26:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I’ve been doing it for ten years

I’m tired of the stupidity

I’m tired of people being too illiterate to understand simple math

I’m literally doing the impossible every year and no one gives a shit for except maybe 5 clients

When I call on prospects and show them the numbers they don’t want to move. They would prefer to suck eggs than follow me into the promised land
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:30:01 AM EDT
[#11]
My day job is very boring and repetitive  but they pay me well. So I'm pretty ambivalent about it.

My night job I love but it pays like crap.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:30:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I loved doing what I did (engineering design). So much so that I took classes throughout my career related to products I designed, so I could make them better. Only a few others throughout shared the drive to make products that people loved. That end users could rely on. 99% of management said, "make the absolutely cheapest shit that just meets requirements and breaks two days after the warranty runs out so we can sell them another". Some will say "that's management's job" to which I reply "yeah, you say that driving your Lexus while exhorting everyone else to buy a POS should have gone bankrupt GM".

The craftsmanship in old everyday stuff is gone. Now it's containers full of rubber dogshit for Walmart and the Dollar stores.

Most people just don't give a hoot. Was.shopping today. Went to.the deli counter at the grocery store. 5 people behind.the counter. 2 waiting on customers. 2 immediately disappeared. Last one casually continued his conversation with a nonworking employee. For several minutes. I left without getting anything. No passion. No effort. No nothing.

No way to go through life. Find something you love, even if nobody else "gets it"
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:33:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Only insofar as I have an actual work ethic and pride in my work.  If I'm doing a job, it's going to be done right.  Unfortunately that makes me a doormat for the rest of the .gov shitheads.  I posted a few days ago about the guy I relieved crying like a bitch about being 2 minutes past 8 hours, and when I relieve find out he'd sat on literally EVERYTHING all day just waiting to turn it over to me (who shouldn't have even had to relieve him if he had just done the damn work).  I then proceeded to stay there for 14 hours working my ass off the entire time.

I have 610 OT hours this year.  That's probably my lowest since qualifying.  Last year was 718, also on the low side because it included a 2-month requal period of zero overtime.  Don't have the data for the years before, but I'm pretty sure I've passed 1000 twice.  I do know I was at 700 something in September one year.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:50:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A persons soul needs to look back at the end of the day and see something real accomplished.  Very little
satisfaction in pushing paper or tapping keys.
View Quote
So much this.

I really enjoy what I do, and the people I do it with, but it is knowledge work that can be somewhat unfulfilling if you're broken in the head like me and derive satisfaction from using your hands.

To make up for it, I moved out of the city and got a giant pain in my ass...I mean property to take care of. So now I'm bruised and sore on Mondays in addition to being brain dead
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:57:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I couldn't care less. I'm in corrections, started in 2001 when I was in my 20's, and I went in every day thinking that I was going to run a tight ship just to show that I could, and now I don't give a flying fuck about anything as long as it doesn't affect my next check, my lunch, my next bowel movement or the arrival of the guy or girl who'll be relieving me. True story.
View Quote
Fucking this. I’m burned out and give no fucks. Hopefully able to go into a new line of work soon.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:58:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm kind of numb to it.   It is a shitty job but I make "ok" money considering.  I got some cool coworkers and my boss is one of the most amazing people I have ever met.  I mostly do what I do for her (not like I don't bust my ass for money).  She appreciates me a LOT as well as another co worker.  We keep her going and she keeps us going.  If she was to quit or be fired we would quit.  As well as my co workers friend too.  If we quit she would walk out with us. (not so much now but a little while ago we could have FUCKED the place over hard if the higher ups fucked my boss over enough to make her quit.) So the job not so much but the people yeah.  I hope you all have the kind of bosses that think very highly for what you do for them and have earned the loyalty and trust that I do.

My job may not be great but at least I got a friend out of it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 5:22:59 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm reading ARFCOM at work, such passion
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 5:24:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I basically go through the motions every day with my job.  Im really good at it...educated,  experience, certifications up the wazoo...but I have zero passion for what I do.

When people talk to me about career development and career plans...all I can muster is a blank stare.  I dont hate what I do...I just have zero passion.

Anyone else in that boat?  Anyone fix it?
View Quote
Same boat here. The powers that be largely ignore my suggestions born out of tons of experience for how to make things more efficient and train new people up to speed. My boss recently left because he got fed up.

I need to make a career change.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 5:27:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm unemployed right now. but my previous job of 13 years, I was not happy with.
There were good things about it, the places and experiences I had and the people I worked with.
I was paid good for what I did... The company didn't secure any new work, so bye bye to me.

Now that I have to find another job, it's a difficult process/experience. I worked myself into a
niche market that even the company couldn't get out of (at least not to date.)  
View Quote
You were in the the Army, Airforce and Navy?
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 5:51:03 AM EDT
[#20]
My job has made me into an even bigger pessimist, didn't think that was possible.

However, I guess I am pretty passionate and attentive at work, considering if I miss something someone could get hurt very badly or there could be a huge accident.

That keeps me motivated.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 6:27:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Hate my job, only doing it for the money

Keep flirting with idea of starting over and doing IT, the location flexibility, pay, and not breaking my back sound like a dream come true...but everyone says it’s awful
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 7:12:45 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm passionate about automating as much of my job as I can.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 7:16:57 AM EDT
[#23]
16 years on the job with 9 more to go. I used to love it and was passionate about it I guess you could say. Somewhere along the line that faded away and today it’s just a job. I drag myself in as I mark the days till I can leave for good. Beats digging ditches but if I were to hit the Powerball tomorrow I’d put in my resignation before years end.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 7:18:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Love my job and the company I work for
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 7:18:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Not in the least. I see the company as nothing but a big ATM machine. They need stuff done and I need money.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 7:19:09 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't know what job I would be passionate about.
I'm 21, I've only had 3 jobs, and they have all been shit that I just do to get by.
I'm trying to build a skillset or find a company I can grow with, I am not cut out for schooling, but hopefully my work ethic will get me somewhere.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 7:22:09 AM EDT
[#27]
I still enjoy mine some days.

It is getting old though and I am constantly being expected to do more based on some nitwit with no idea how to actually do the job. I currently have eleven people directly under me and some days it feels like I run a daycare but it is extremely hard to get people so I get what I get.

The only solution I think is to go into business for myself, most likely in a different industry.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 7:28:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm reading ARFCOM at work, such passion
View Quote
90% or more of my post count is on the clock. Too drunk after work to post.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:06:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Over the years I have had a few I was passionate about. Crooked and stupid bosses cured that.
I retired from an HBCU. I told one of my supervisors I will make you look good if you will just let me do my job. I did until she just couldn't stand it and started fucking with me. Her supervisor took me away from her because of it.
I couldn't wait to get out of there. The thievery and incompetence was unbelievable. What you would expect from an HBCU times 2 or 3 or 5.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:10:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I used to, not anymore.

There was a time I loved the job, everything about, was excited to go to work...lousy managers change that.

These days all I hear is what I am doing wrong, never what I am doing right.

Bad managers wear you down...
View Quote
My job would be great if my supervisor would get lined up against a concrete wall and shot for being a bully and incompetence.  I work in .gov and its amazing how one bureaucratic supervisor can cause such pain and destruction throughout multiple agencies and nothing happens to them.  I have too many years in to pull the plug now.  Soon though...
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:15:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I’m passionate about my paycheck
View Quote
This,

I also have a good boss. It is hard to find a good boss these days.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:17:53 AM EDT
[#32]
nope no passion at all... customer service job. asshole customers who cuss you out over bullshit... company constantly changing the call flow so you have to change your interaction with the customers to hit some stupid stats.... 2 years ago i was getting employee of the month and rocking perfect stats but not with the new touchy feely call flow i can barely keep at minimum goal... i have a degree in IT but there is no jobs near me... love where i live hate working where i live...
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:20:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Hate my job / career, and far too old to make a real change.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:23:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I loved doing what I did (engineering design). So much so that I took classes throughout my career related to products I designed, so I could make them better. Only a few others throughout shared the drive to make products that people loved. That end users could rely on. 99% of management said, "make the absolutely cheapest shit that just meets requirements and breaks two days after the warranty runs out so we can sell them another". Some will say "that's management's job" to which I reply "yeah, you say that driving your Lexus while exhorting everyone else to buy a POS should have gone bankrupt GM".

The craftsmanship in old everyday stuff is gone. Now it's containers full of rubber dogshit for Walmart and the Dollar stores.

Most people just don't give a hoot. Was.shopping today. Went to.the deli counter at the grocery store. 5 people behind.the counter. 2 waiting on customers. 2 immediately disappeared. Last one casually continued his conversation with a nonworking employee. For several minutes. I left without getting anything. No passion. No effort. No nothing.

No way to go through life. Find something you love, even if nobody else "gets it"
View Quote
@Merrell

What we need is labor camps.  No work = no food.  That will get people passionate about working again!  If not, they die.  A lot of people say we’re headed that way.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:30:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Passionate is one of the last words I'd use to describe how I feel about my job
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Yes.

I get paid damn well and I have no passion for it but I have done it for 20 years and I am bound by golden handcuffs.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:33:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I’m passionate about my paycheck
View Quote
This...especially when I started noticing my other peers taking long lunches,  hiding in certain parts of the building, or just arriving an hour late, and nothing is done about it.  Why am I working so hard then.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:38:23 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm in a race to see if I can get to the point I can retire before 1) they figure out I have zero passion for my job or this industry and get rid of me (with severance this wouldn't be a terrible outcome) or 2) I get so fed up that I quit in disgust (and get jack as severance). I would quit now, today, if I could but with two kids in college that won't be an option for at least 3 years. Just got to hold on for as long as I can...
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:38:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I enjoy my paychecks.
View Quote
This and now I enjoy the pension checks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#40]
I loved my last project, but the one I’m on now pretty well blows. I’m on my second trip to Dubai this year, totaling 7 weeks, and I dig it here but everything is so last minute and ill planned that I can’t stand it.

Our relief crew is supposed to have been here already and they aren’t. I’m supposed to fly home Friday morning, but there’s work scheduled that they probably can’t cover because they won’t be badged. I’ll probably miss Christmas at home even though I told my boss that I wanted off back in August and several times since.

I’m actively applying for other jobs, but getting nowhere.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:39:52 AM EDT
[#41]
I don't know what feeling passionate about a job feels like.  I never have been and I've done a little bit of everything.  I've liked a few of the jobs I've had but been passionate?  No, too much bullshit.

I liked being an EMT more than anything but it's hard to feel passionate about working for a private ambulance company, or anything in healthcare when you see all the bullshit that goes on behind closed doors.  I was passionate about running calls to the best of my ability but in the grand scheme of things I wasn't passionate about my position with my company.

I think the only way I would ever be passionate about a job is if I was running my own company.

I like my current job(rural mail carrier).  I go to work, deal with the higher ups for a few minutes, then do my thing.  Get out on the back country roads driving around delivering mail by myself.  It can get a bit hectic and overwhelming for some this time of year but I don't sweat it.  It's just mail, I'll get it out as quick as I can but if there's too much volume that's not my problem, supervisors can sort out how to make sure it all gets out in time, I'm just doing my thing.

I'm passionate about other things and I work so that I can afford to enjoy those other things.  As long as I'm healthy enough to hunt I don't think I'll ever truly feel passionate about any job, just glad to have it so I can afford to hunt.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:40:03 AM EDT
[#42]
I was in that boat with my last job. A cog in a huge machine that chewed up souls.

This job? Love everything but the current pay. Once we address that it will be perfect.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:43:53 AM EDT
[#43]
By no means do I love it, and by no means do I Hate it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:44:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Here's one getting ready to go to work at a place I started at in 1983.

I can't say it sends a tingle up my leg.

Still have a good day now and then but healthcare sucks and I'm waiting for the day I can retire.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:45:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I’m a route delivery driver.  We start unloading at the highest number stop and work our way down.  It’s routed as Stop 98 in Cuero TX, 95 is in El Campo TX  80 miles away, then back to Cuero TX for 90.

El Campo was inserted way off of where it should have been.  The route should go:  Cuero, Edna, Ganado, and then El Campo with that location being the seventh stop off.  I’m going to have to move two thousand pounds of products aside and work around it because I’m damn sure not going to drive an extra 240 miles for one stop that’s out of sequence.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's difficult to be when things are like this:

http://i65.tinypic.com/mtrn8i.jpg
Help me understand?...
I’m a route delivery driver.  We start unloading at the highest number stop and work our way down.  It’s routed as Stop 98 in Cuero TX, 95 is in El Campo TX  80 miles away, then back to Cuero TX for 90.

El Campo was inserted way off of where it should have been.  The route should go:  Cuero, Edna, Ganado, and then El Campo with that location being the seventh stop off.  I’m going to have to move two thousand pounds of products aside and work around it because I’m damn sure not going to drive an extra 240 miles for one stop that’s out of sequence.
A-ha! Got it, makes sense...
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:46:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:46:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
A persons soul needs to look back at the end of the day and see something real accomplished.  Very little
satisfaction in pushing paper or tapping keys.
View Quote
Depends on who you are, I guess.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:50:10 AM EDT
[#48]
How can I NOT have passion for this?

10-11 Beaver Flooding by FredMan, on Flickr

DSCN2244-Edit by FredMan, on Flickr

DSCN2069-DBH38 SRO by FredMan, on Flickr

BI2049 Stuck by FredMan, on Flickr

Turkey Poult by FredMan, on Flickr

FS Frigid Cruising by FredMan, on Flickr

Rx Burn 136 2018 by FredMan, on Flickr

BI1058 Staged Wood by FredMan, on Flickr

NT1132 Canopy BA 280 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:51:46 AM EDT
[#49]
I've got 3 applications out and will hopefully be surprise quitting soon. I've been here 20 years now and I'm sure there will be shock but I'm sick of ownership.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:53:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I work for the gov. I watch guys steal and cheat the taxpayers out of money everyday. When I make noise about it, I get shut down and told that I have a family to feed and to not bring it up. Had a guy tell me that veteran preference is bullshit and how we should not be rewarded for not finding a real job in life, how we all are a joke.

Gov employees are some real shit shows, I think it's time to turn off the tap and go all private. Fuck these guys with a cactus.

No more passion.
View Quote
The problem I have with veteran preference is when they want you to hire someone who is blatantly unqualified for the position, but somehow made the list.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top