BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:37:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How many psi did you tighten the lugnuts to?
View Quote
Apparently .625 is the low end for most.

never mind, think it was a calculator doing psi to pound feet of pressure not torque.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:37:26 AM EDT
[#2]
That extension is not they kind you use with an impact.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:41:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
19mm 3/4 is same same iirc.   The 18mm doesn't go on and the 3/4 feels tighter than the 19mm
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Make sure you use the correct wrench though (metric), the last thing you want to do is strip the head of that bolt with a standard wrench.
19mm 3/4 is same same iirc.   The 18mm doesn't go on and the 3/4 feels tighter than the 19mm
3/4" = 19.05 mm, but tolerances and wear are things so if it feels tighter, it probably is.

Also, 18 mm bolt heads are an American thing, everyone else seems to use 17 or 19.  My metric socket and wrench sets from the 80's didn't have 18 mm in them.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:41:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hasnt worked yet
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1/2" impact socket and a impact gun
Hasnt worked yet
Show picture of your air compressor.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:42:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Been there

Seems appropriate
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:49:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Use the blue wrench.
View Quote
Or the hot wrench
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:55:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Get a 4’ cheater bar?
View Quote
This, a massive, 8' long cheater bar will either break it loose, or tear the lug off.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:02:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The caliper bolts are torqued to 180lbft on my F150. Took a big impact and heat to get them loose.

Have you checked the torque spec for yours? I doubt anywhere near that but just curious.
View Quote
The fuck why? Seriously curious as I don't see a need given the orientation of force is 90°
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:07:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Non impact socket. Non impact extension.

Weak impact.

If you are in metro Detroit, swing by. I’ll bust it loose with an adult impact.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:09:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Errrr....errrr.....errr....click!
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:16:45 AM EDT
[#11]
They did that to the drivers side axle nut on my Jeep. It's only supposed to be torqued to 100 ft lbs but it started bending my 30" long 1/2" breaker bar. I also have a 3/4" breaker bar but only a couple sockets = both are 8 point for plumbing. $22 later and a shipment from Amazon for a 36mm 3/4 socket and it came off. Had to be hammered on to at least 200+ ft lbs.

These 3/4" breaker bars + sockets are beefy and don't bend.

Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:17:20 AM EDT
[#12]
You didn’t mention penetrating oil, but I’m sure you’ve probably been using it. If not, Kroil is best if you can find it, PB blaster is the best I’ve found next to Kroil.

Next start with heat and try it at least a few times. Then move on to hammer shocking it (2lb hand sledge is one of my favorite tools).

If all the above hasn’t worked then the last step is a 4 foot pipe. I’ve found the pipe should always be last as it either breaks it loose or shears the head off.

That bolt probably wasn’t over torqued, more likely it’s seized due to weather and brake heat over time. I snapped the bolts for the ball joints on my old STi that were seriously seized to the point I don’t think ANYTHING would have gotten them out. I snapped the head off the first one within 5 minutes and that was only using a 18” cheater pipe. Knowing the second bolt would probably break and be a bitch to drill out I tried everything over a week (5 different oils, tons of heat, shock vibrations, even a freezing spray). I ended up throwing the 4 foot pipe on the 2nd bolt and it still snapped right off anyway. I ended up having to drill both bolts out and neither one ever caught, even with a few MMs left.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:17:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Most caliper to steering knuckle bolts require 100lbft.  That's more than most 3/8 tools will do
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:18:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That extension is not they kind you use with an impact.
View Quote
No shit.  I sheared it with a breaker bar
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:19:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:24:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You didn’t mention penetrating oil, but I’m sure you’ve probably been using it. If not, Kroil is best if you can find it, PB blaster is the best I’ve found next to Kroil.

Next start with heat and try it at least a few times. Then move on to hammer shocking it (2lb hand sledge is one of my favorite tools).

If all the above hasn’t worked then the last step is a 4 foot pipe. I’ve found the pipe should always be last as it either breaks it loose or shears the head off.

That bolt probably wasn’t over torqued, more likely it’s seized due to weather and brake heat over time. I snapped the bolts for the ball joints on my old STi that were seriously seized to the point I don’t think ANYTHING would have gotten them out. I snapped the head off the first one within 5 minutes and that was only using a 18” cheater pipe. Knowing the second bolt would probably break and be a bitch to drill out I tried everything over a week (5 different oils, tons of heat, shock vibrations, even a freezing spray). I ended up throwing the 4 foot pipe on the 2nd bolt and it still snapped right off anyway. I ended up having to drill both bolts out and neither one ever caught, even with a few MMs left.
View Quote
Kroil is the shit. Saved my ass so many times.

I had to take unthread a galvanized nipple in a well one time, out of a brass 90 or something, the nipple looked like a clump of rust. Probably been there 20 years. WD40 and a 24” wrench did me no good. Sprayed some kroil, probably could’ve taken that bitch out with my fingers.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:36:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Non impact socket. Non impact extension.

Weak impact.

If you are in metro Detroit, swing by. I’ll bust it loose with an adult impact.
View Quote
Reading is fundamental
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:38:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pb blaster and heat I've been using
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:41:29 AM EDT
[#19]
There is no way a caliper bolt on a Honda is too tight for a proper impact to remove. You might want to consider an upgrade there in the future.

For now, turn the steering wheel until you can access the caliper bolt easier, put a short socket on a big breaker bar (go 1/2" drive especially if you're using chinese) and use a cheater pipe if you have to. If things still feel a little too hairy take a MAP torch and heat the area around where the bolt threads in for a little bit, then try breaking it loose again.

Like @Jason280 said heat, corrosion, and thread locker will make those bolts stubborn.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:02:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File
I left pb blaster on it for an hour or so with a salamander pointed at it.    They came off this time.... With a 4' cheater.   The left one was the worst even though it's the cleanest
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:02:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Also these did not have anti sieze like the others
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:06:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Ya know if that was a Snap-on extension they would replace it for free....  Just saying.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:09:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/326804/IMG_20181219_005939_jpg-777440.JPGI left pb blaster on it for an hour or so with a salamander pointed at it.    They came off this time.... With a 4' cheater.   The left one was the worst even though it's the cleanest
View Quote
Awesome, glad you were able to get them without anything breaking!

Whenever possible I try to hit everything hard with PB blaster the night before, I feel like it usually allows me to loosen bolts with just a regular ratchet vs using an 18” cheater.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:10:39 AM EDT
[#24]
After I sheared the drive off my 1/2 snap on breaker bar, I got a 1200 ft lb chordless impact wrench.  Now I fear no bolt
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:10:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ya know if that was a Snap-on extension they would replace it for free....  Just saying.
View Quote
Yea but for that price he could break 9 chinesium extensions and hope the 10th takes it off and be money ahead.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:12:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Chinese extension
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:15:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Hasnt worked yet
View Quote
You need a different impact. My Milwaukee Fuel 1/2 gun takes the duals off tractors.

Glad to see you got them finally. Make sure to put some more anti seize on there and torque them when you put it back together.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:24:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Also these did not have anti sieze like the others
View Quote
And they shouldn't. All of them shouldn't.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:30:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Been working in shops since I was 6..
Cheater bars and half inch impact wrenches are the shizzle.

A bit of heat helps sometimes too..

Ed
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:32:28 AM EDT
[#30]
And yet the OP is using rusted, damaged tools.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:49:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Awesome, glad you were able to get them without anything breaking!

Whenever possible I try to hit everything hard with PB blaster the night before, I feel like it usually allows me to loosen bolts with just a regular ratchet vs using an 18” cheater.
View Quote
Me too, with the blaster that is,. But this was a hey my car is making a funny noise
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:52:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
And yet the OP is using rusted, damaged tools.  
View Quote
Yeah okay.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:57:46 AM EDT
[#33]
time for an M18 Fuel impact gun op

glad you got them out, when you put em back in anti seeze the shit out of those bolts so it doesn't happen again
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:58:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Virtually all tools have a lifetime replacement policy these days.

By the way, 3/8" chrome plated is not the way to go when you are working on stuff like this, I use at least my 1/2" gun and the proper extensions and sockets, and on my 1 ton truck, I normally end up using my 3/4" gun and extensions and sockets.

3/8" chrome plated tools are not for impact wrenches that work.

Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:04:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

By the way, 3/8" chrome plated is not the way to go when you are working on stuff like this, I use at least my 1/2" gun and the proper extensions and sockets, and on my 1 ton truck, I normally end up using my 3/4" gun and extensions and sockets.

View Quote
a nice set for the diy guy

https://www.amazon.com/Sunex-2569-2-Inch-Standard-6-Point/dp/B00MPQ88RY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1545203016&sr=8-1&keywords=1%2F2+impact+socket+set+sunex

and impact
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078VDL8Y5/ref=psdc_552820_t1_B0754MTTCL
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:05:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
I used impact with impact.    I sheared the 3/8 with a 3/8 breaker bar.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:05:54 AM EDT
[#37]
And do not re-use those bolts.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:10:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ha.   I need to toss all the Stanley shit but I've fixed so much stuff with it over the last 15-18 years I can't.  It's also good to have them when I need to abuse them and will likely break them such as this case.

I have a full set of vintage USA made Craftsman my dad gave me when he moved to  Florida. but I don't use those when I know it's abuse time.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:14:14 AM EDT
[#39]
I have all the impact stuff.  I need a better gun than my CH.   My compressor is underpowered too.  When I get my pole barn to stop having it's own climate inside I'll get a big one and plumb it to the different benches and what not.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:19:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

No shit.   I used impact with impact.    I sheared the 3/8 with a 3/8 breaker bar.
View Quote
Okay, you put more torque on it than it can handle, but when you are pulling this type of stuff, stay away from the chrome plated pretty's and get something that is designed to do this.  My compressor is a 80 gallon with an 705 HP motor on it

Speedaire Compressor

I got lucky and did some horse trading to get it about 7 years ago and it is a heavy duty that came out of a commercial environment.

That said, you can get a nice 3 or 4 HP model that will do most things that a car or truck requires at HF and they hold up quite well and work great for a home environment.  I tried the battery operated impacts and working on the plow truck or the tractor, I broke them, so I have given up on them.

I will have to check, I had a 3/8? chrome plated 6" extension I spun with a breaker bar that looked like a candy cane a few years ago, it didn't break, it just twisted and I go pissed and twisted it as far as I could go before I stopped.!  LOL
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:27:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Okay, you put more torque on it than it can handle, but when you are pulling this type of stuff, stay away from the chrome plated pretty's and get something that is designed to do this.  My compressor is a 80 gallon with an 705 HP motor on it

Speedaire Compressor

I got lucky and did some horse trading to get it about 7 years ago and it is a heavy duty that came out of a commercial environment.

That said, you can get a nice 3 or 4 HP model that will do most things that a car or truck requires at HF and they hold up quite well and work great for a home environment.  I tried the battery operated impacts and working on the plow truck or the tractor, I broke them, so I have given up on them.
View Quote
Wasn't trying to be a dick.   Seems like every third person didn't read the OP and assumed I used an impact because I talked about it before stating I broke it with a breaker.

There's a reason I was using what I did.   I addressed that in an earlier post.

That's a sweet compressor dude.  Some day I'll get  40 gal or so.    I can't justify the cost of one like yours for what I'd do with it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:32:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Wasn't trying to be a dick.   Seems like every third person didn't read the OP and assumed I used an impact because I talked about it before stating I broke it with a breaker.

That's a sweet compressor dude.  Some day I'll get  40 gal or so.    I can't justify the cost of one like yours for what I'd do with it.
View Quote
Unfortunately, it has its down side as well, after my little fiasco this summer with tires, I bought a used tire machine and now all of sudden the neighbors are showing up with they need a tire changed out!

I live a long ways from town, so if I can't fix it myself, I can be screwed, so I get pissed and get what I need, then I find out how many "friends" I really have!

Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:34:48 AM EDT
[#43]
impact rated is going to work better with a breaker bar still, just because people talk about using them with an impact, doesn't mean it doesn't hold equally true with a breaker bar.

two different types of steel. non impact stuff is brittle as you found out.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:34:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Unfortunately, it has its down side as well, after my little fiasco this summer with tires, I bought a used tire machine and now all of sudden the neighbors are showing up with they need a tire changed out!

I live a long ways from town, so if I can't fix it myself, I can be screwed, so I get pissed and get what I need, then I find out how many "friends" I really have!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of my friend’s dad has a full shop setup at home, he charges a 12 or 24 pack depending on the job
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:35:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I have all the impact stuff.  I need a better gun than my CH.   My compressor is underpowered too.  When I get my pole barn to stop having it's own climate inside I'll get a big one and plumb it to the different benches and what not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Chordless bro.  It's 2018 time to upgrade
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:36:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why I head that stuff off at the pass. I.E. when I bought my boat the first thing I posted online was "now I'll find out how many friends I have with gas money".
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:37:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Some day I'll get 40 gal or so. I can't justify the cost of one like yours for what I'd do with it.
View Quote
As far as impacts are concerned, you don't even need to bother...just invest in a Milwaukee 18v Fuel 1/2" impact and you will be set.  Even with two large compressors (60-80gal), multiple air impacts from 3/8-1" in size, I still use a Milwaukee 1/2" or Matco 3/8' 18v impact 97% of the time.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:39:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
That's why I head that stuff off at the pass. I.E. when I bought my boat the first thing I posted online was "now I'll find out how many friends I have with gas money".
View Quote
Ya, hows that worked out for ya!  I know it has not worked out so well for me, so now it is normally just my wife and I that go out in the boat.

Link Posted: 12/19/2018 4:07:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Stop using cheap tools and this is a non issue.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 4:10:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Stop using cheap tools and this is a non issue.
View Quote
Even good quality tools will break if used improperly...
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top