Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/7/2003 11:01:23 AM EDT
Well guys, after the 1st of the year I'll be driving out to California to drop off my Son's car. Although this will be my 5th trip out this will be the 1st time I'm driving to the left coast. Did a Map quest search and it's about 2800 miles from Connecticut to San Diego. Have you guys done alot of cross country driving? About how long do you think in days to go coast to coast? BobK
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:12:31 AM EDT
I've done the drive from SC to CA in 3 days; my brother did it once in 2 days, driving non-stop (which I wouldn't advise). From CT, I'd plan on about 5 days. If you have the time, though, there are a lot of great places to stop by and see while enroute. Meteor Crater in AZ, the Grand Canyon, Carlsbad Caverns, etc. are all well worth the extra time.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:15:24 AM EDT
Took me and a buddy of mine 3 days to go from CA to NY and another buddy of mine (VERY Determined) 2 1/2 days to go back. We took the 70 to the 15. I have to warn you though from Ohio to Denver is booooooooooooring, But from Denver to Vegas has some of the most beautiful scenery EVER! Where in Ca are you going?
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:16:51 AM EDT
DUH NEVERMIND!! DO NOT answer my last question...I just dont read worth a sh*t. San Diego? Take the 70-15 route. Its nice.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:20:01 AM EDT
Depends on how much a day in a hotel is worth to you. If you press it and drive ten hour days you can cut in down to four or five days (weather depending). I take my time and drive eight hours a day and enjoy the stops along the way and my time in the hotel's swimming pool. I stay at hotels a bit off the interstate so I save about half the cost.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:22:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/7/2003 11:23:42 AM EDT by Airwolf]
Agreed on the 5 days. Any quicker and it won't be much fun. 70-15 is a nice way to do it but make sure you have some good tunes to keep you awake through KS. That is the the FLATTEST peice of nothing in the union. It's like being at sea but climbing into the Rockies from Denver makes it worth the trip.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:26:45 AM EDT
For purposes of nicer driving conditions I would suggest you take the most southern route possible. It may take you a little longer by dropping down but in the long run you might just save some time. Driving in sun soaked country is a lot more comfortable than snowy conditions. IMO.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:37:19 AM EDT
Ditto TheHurtgenForest's comments. I70's Eisenhower Tunnel is at 11,000ft, way above the treeline, and is the most often closed interstate pass in the country. It's pretty brutal on cars (especially towing) and is rather steep in some places to boot. Might be better to go south--I70 to 44 to 40 to 15. You don't have to worry so much about the weather in those mountain passes and it's usually a little warmer. I made the drive the other way (from LA to Dallas, then straight north to Grand Forks) in December. It's 27.5 hours from LA to Abelene, TX, just for future reference. We did it straight through. Not recommended.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:43:53 AM EDT
when i drove from kentucky to washington(by myself) it took me 3 days. i wasn't pushing it too hard, but wasn't making any unecessary stops either. i only stopped for gas, lunch and late in the evening for a hotel and quick dip in the pool. last summer i moved the whole family to washington. it took 5 days. i was driving a uhaul with the wife following in her car. having 2 small kids we had to make plenty of stops. plus my wife couldn't drive as long as i could. we stopped and saw some sights, and would stop to get a hotel around 8pm. it wasn't that bad of a drive, but 5 days on the road gets old fast. the last day i was ready to get there!!!! the best advice i can get is to either stop early for a hotel or have a reservation at the hotel you want to stop at. don't know if it will be as bad finding a hotel this time of year, but in the summer months by about 9pm all the hotels are full. it sucks having to drive for a couple more hours looking for a hotel when you are already tired, then only being able to find one that is gonna cost an arm and a leg to stay there.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:43:56 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Airwolf: Agreed on the 5 days. Any quicker and it won't be much fun. 70-15 is a nice way to do it but make sure you have some good tunes to keep you awake through KS. That is the the FLATTEST peice of nothing in the union. It's like being at sea but climbing into the Rockies from Denver makes it worth the trip.
View Quote
NO SH*T!! Kansas has made me a violent man... it was driving me crazy, I swear I have passed the same barn 36 times!!! and FLAT!!!! AND STRAIGHT!!! If you have great wheel alignment and cruise control, set that to 70 and go to sleep, you'll probably be fine and not miss a damn thing! To all members of ARFCOM who live in Kansas. This is in NO WAY a reflection of the residents of Kansas... They are GREAT people but the landscape...GEEZ!!! Unlike California...Great landscape... people suck.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:46:08 AM EDT
I was planing on going the Southern route. Still have time to make up my mind which way to go. I plan on driving a min of 10-12 hr a day. I would like to catch some of the sights on the way. Heck this will be the 3rd time I've been to California in a year. Spent well over a month on the last 2 trips. Anyway which ever way I go, I probably go through Arizona or Nevada and have to wave to my Arfcom buddies on the way through. BobK
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:25:31 PM EDT
Avoid kansas, that is the most miserable state I have ever been through. Never again in my life would I go through kansas. My brother did washington state to massachussetts in 3 days. Not recommended. Usually 4-5 days depending on hour many hours per day you want to drive. As others have said if you have the extra time it worth stopping and seeing some of the sights around. There is some really beautiful country out there.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:42:51 PM EDT
I've done NY (Long Island) to South Dakota a dozen times.(Cars and Ryder Trucks)About an 1800 mile trip my record was about 36 hours with me driving around 33 of those hours. I've also gone as far west as Idaho (Boise/Nampa/Caldwell)then I swung down almost Mexico stopping in Bisbee then worked my way back to S.Dak thru New Mexico,Colorado,Nebraska I did NY to Vegas (In a Ryder Truck)in 2000.Took almost 5 days,that sucked. Do yourself a favor.If time is not your priority,get off the interstate once in awhile.Take one of the secondary roads and get a feel for the rural areas.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:44:55 PM EDT
I'm looking forward to this trip. I have spent too much time traveling by air. There are some states I haven't been to yet. But, since Junior has been in college and the Navy my Wife,Daughter and Daughter in law have traveled alot. Gotta get a digital camera and snap some pictures. BobK
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:46:14 PM EDT
Oh yeah watch 80/90 thru OHIO if you go that way.Definite speed trap.Everytime I've gone thru during daytime State Troopers were out in Full Force.Got pulled over there 3 times.Both times I was driving they let me go.When my ex was driving they ticketed us.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:48:01 PM EDT
BobK, I think the southern route would likely be the safest. I live 2½hrs west of Denver on I-70. Snowy road conditions on the Eisenhower Tunnel approaches and Vail Pass can be very treacherous. But if the weather's fine you won't find prettier scenery anywhere. It would seem to me you could start out on I-80. Travel through Chicago, Iowa and Nebr. At the western side of Nebr. take I-76 catty-corner to Denver and hit I-70. Travel west until the middle of Utah to I-15. Denver to Los Vegas would be around you're planned 10-12hrs. But that's a long haul for several days in a row.
Top Top