Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/7/2003 6:17:39 AM EDT
Since the site was down and I had extra time on my hands I decided to make a batch of jerky. I was going to make some anyway since the winter season puts me into the jerky/sausage making mood.

Here are some pics of the fruit of my labor.

Everything laid out in preparation, 4 1/2 pounds of beef sliced up.

Meat in the marinade container for the next 24 hours.

Four hours later, fresh from the oven. A new smoker is in the works. But for now the oven method gets me by.

Close up shot.

And for last.......the whole process was done under the watchfull eye of my GSD Timmy. Think maybe he wanted to share in the results!

I was considering making a trashcan smoker from the plans listed in the link below. If anyone has done this before and can offer some tips or advice that would be great.

I was concerned with the galvanized metal of the trashcan reacting with the heat from the hot plate. I know you shouldn't weld galvanized steel. Does anyone know if building a smoker out of a trashcan is safe. Temps shouldn't reach above 150-200 deg. F if that much.

www.cruftbox.com/cruft/docs/elecsmoker.html

Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:21:13 AM EDT
... Good winter-time fun. Looks yummy. ... I built a game room in my house during the down time.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:29:29 AM EDT
I have got to learn how to do that. I must spend $2000 a year on store bought jerky.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:56:58 AM EDT
Looks good!!! Wanna share the receipe?[:P]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:24:07 PM EDT
It took me three days but I jerked a whole moose front quarter. I am trying to do the Atkin's thing and jerky is great to just have around for a snack.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:36:46 PM EDT
Pangea will kick yer ass if you use galvanized. NEVER use galvie for food prep/cooking/heat!!! NEVER!!! [:D]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:37:06 PM EDT
THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT SAMPLES!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:08:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By YANKEEFAN: Looks good!!! Wanna share the receipe?[:P]
View Quote
Sure! Marinade for 2lbs. of meat: 4 cups water 3 tablespoons of Morton TenderQuick meat cure 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce 1 tablespoon Soy sauce 1 tablespoon liquid smoke (omit if actually smoking) 1 tablespoon black pepper 1 tablespoon white pepper 1 teaspoon garlic powder 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (if you like it hot) Mix ingredients in a non-metalic container. Add sliced meat. Refrigerate 24 hours. Heat oven to lowest setting (about 120-150F). Lay meat out on papertowles to absorb excess marinade. Sprinkle with black pepper on both sides for added heat! Lay out strips of meat on oven racks proping open oven door with a wooden kitchen spoon. Depending on thickness of meat, jerky will be done when dry but not brittle. You can bend it but it dosen't crack. I slice mine about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Drying time was about 3-4 hours. Store in a air tight container in the fridge for no more than a week, or freeze for up to two months. This makes a very tasty Western Style jerky, it beats ANY store bought jerky hands down! Be prepaired to make more.....it goes quick! Try this link for ideas and recipes! [url]http://home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Basics.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:15:41 PM EDT
That is some damn fine looking jerky. Instead of using the trashcan smoker, go to WallyWorld and you can buy a cylinder smoker for $20. I have 3 of them, one of which has sat outside for 5 years now and still works fine. Any ideas for how to slice meat without buying a fancy slicer?
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:25:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bigjuice: That is some damn fine looking jerky. Instead of using the trashcan smoker, go to WallyWorld and you can buy a cylinder smoker for $20. I have 3 of them, one of which has sat outside for 5 years now and still works fine. Any ideas for how to slice meat without buying a fancy slicer?
View Quote
I had one of those smokers from Wally world.....burned it up building fires in it! Hey.....ya get a few beers in ya on a chilly night, next thing ya know yer building bon fires! It's time to step up to something better. My slicer is nothing fancy. Bought it at Kmart for $25-$30! Works great! If you don't have a slicer you can set your meat in the freezer till it starts to get hard. In this condition, with a good knife you can get consistantly thin slices! I did this method for quite a while.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:38:41 PM EDT
Thanks QUIB!! I am gonna try it this weekend.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:43:45 PM EDT
Originally Posted By YANKEEFAN: Thanks QUIB!! I am gonna try it this weekend.
View Quote
No problem! Let us know how it turns out!
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:57:10 PM EDT
What cut of meat do you use? This looks like a fun project.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:48:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Spade: What cut of meat do you use? This looks like a fun project.
View Quote
I just look for the leanest beef I can find. No lines of fat running through the meat. Sam's Club here is growing to become my favorite for jerky meat. They allways have nice lean roasts reduced for quick sale. The 4 1/2 lbs of beef in my photos above was about $15. That turned out the huge ziplock bag packed full of jerky plus I have about 1/2 lb I had to freeze because I ran out of room in the oven! I'm saving that meat for this weekend.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:34:53 AM EDT
heres my recipie for "making Jerky" 1. vivid video 2.box of Kleenex 3.apply as nessary
Top Top